• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Blu ray and dvd movies

Bruce Wakefield

According to the minds that be, dvd and bluray are dead formats. I don't think so. People aren't going to want to fill up their hard drive with hundreds of movies that take up a min of 2 to 4 gigs of digital space and even 50gb for a bluray. My mind tells me that dvd's and bluray disc will be around for a long time to come.

According to the minds that be, dvd and bluray are dead formats. I don't think so. People aren't going to want to fill up their hard drive with hundreds of movies that take up a min of 2 to 4 gigs of digital space and even 50gb for a bluray. My mind tells me that dvd's and bluray disc will be around for a long time to come.

I wish I could agree, but these last few years I've been less and less new movies and TV shows on disc (especially TV shows). Most recent shows aren't available on disc at all (except by the bootleggers).

Reactions: DQ

Dead? No, but riding off into the sunset slowly for sure. Which makes me sad, I like to buy a disc (and have possession of it) and choose whether I want to compress it down or run keep it lossless for my digital needs.

But wherever the quote came from recently "you will own nothing and you will love it" is where such things are going. I know that is somewhat political but it really applies to the everything is a subscription thing vs. owning something.

However, I will add that I think the way streaming is working now is not near as profitable as it once was.

Interesting times for sure. My 2 cents.

This is something streaming platform online subscribers would like you to believe. It's in their interests for "you" not to buy your movies to own on dvd/bd but keep subscribing to them to fund them not for your pleasure. And even you pay your ISP to be able to subscribe to the streaming platform to even stream movies. So this is the reason people whom with limited means will keep dvd/bd alive. Streaming is how they make people think they are getting something good in return but your not really. If you leave your home with a laptop if you don't get Wifi anywhere what good was Streaming "0" but if you took the physical dvd/bd or make into MP4 to watch on your laptop assuming there's enough space you can watch where you please without bandwidth degradation when streaming. This is the part people forget in NA "Internet" is not equal for bandwidth and some places now expect you to pay to use their Wifi.

If the movie producers don't put their movies on a disc, then they are limiting their show to only a few that belong to the streaming service. There are a lot of shows that
are good, but aren't being seen. I for one will not pay to stream a movie, with exception of Netflix. I think the disc will be around for some time to come whether they
like it or not.

If the movie producers don't put their movies on a disc, then they are limiting their show to only a few that belong to the streaming service. There are a lot of shows that
are good, but aren't being seen. I for one will not pay to stream a movie, with exception of Netflix. I think the disc will be around for some time to come whether they
like it or not.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, other than wishful thinking.

All of us collectors of physical media would LOVE for the sale of DVDS and Blu-rays to continue, but that's just being borne out by the numbers. Releases use to come out like clock out, but the fact of the matter is, there are many recent movies and shows that still haven't seen a disc release. Heck, there are a lot of shows that have been out for a few years now that will probably never see a DVD or Blu-ray release.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, other than wishful thinking.

All of us collectors of physical media would LOVE for the sale of DVDS and Blu-rays to continue, but that's just being borne out by the numbers. Releases use to come out like clock out, but the fact of the matter is, there are many recent movies and shows that still haven't seen a disc release. Heck, there are a lot of shows that have been out for a few years now that will probably never see a DVD or Blu-ray release.
Correct.

Unless you're like a Spielberg or Christopher Nolan type that loves their work on Blu-ray/DVD, more movies and TV stuff is going mostly digital.

Reactions: DQ
Correct.

Unless you're like a Spielberg or Christopher Nolan type that loves their work on Blu-ray/DVD, more movies and TV stuff is going mostly digital.

The interesting thing here is I believe we as humans tend to see the way things are going and we will assume that's the way they will always be. I am not at all sure about the future of physical media although we can see the numbers. But what I am sure of is that the streaming scene will change A TON over the next few years. What we might see is a hybrid situation. Meaning here are these streaming platforms but you pay X and you can have this digital copy on your drive possibly DRM free.

I think such a scenario would make the content providers more cash while also giving them less infrastructure to keep up in that they don't need to maintain licensing or some storge etc etc. Just you paid X and here is your digital copy.

I think this mad rush to be a streaming company and put your content behind walls so only you can sell it or release it will prove to be shortsighted. No one has enough content of any quality to maintain that. This was the entire way Netflix did so well in the beginning was to be a library of libraries. Amazon still does this and it seems to me they are the only streaming platform performing well (that's totally just my perception).

Whether I am right or wrong it will be an interesting ride either way.

Back