• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Blackberry Storm Support

nosram

I recently have purchased a Blackberry Storm. I have downloaded AnyDVD and CLONE DVD Mobile. The Storm is not listed. I have tried using 'IPOD touch' setting, and this works, but doesn't fill the screen.
This is the last day to purchase the software and get grandfathered in, but I don't want to buy it if there is no intention of supporting the Storm.
I have RIPped a couple of DVDs and it works great.
Help please??
Nick Marson

according to another post by Fernando he's working on a brand new (HD) engine for CloneDVD Mobile. I suspect other major changes will be on their way. If there are enough people who want the Blackberry Storm supported, then it will for sure be considered.

Thank you for the info, I guess I will just wait until they decide whether to support the Storm or not. Its a shame, because I would have liked to make use of the sale and being Grandfathered in.

FYI, the storm can play .mp4 files. I typically use the PSP template

Thank you Earl, I will give it a try, do you think it will give better results that the iPod touch that I have been using?
I'm new to all of this!

Another vote for the BB Storm. Based on this screen resolution and color - I cannot wait until Slysoft starts supporting this phone!

The nice thing about a lot of the newer portable media players these days is that they'll play fairly standard video files as long as you've got the resolution right; as opposed to a lot of weird, unique formats or with flags in the files like the first iPod videos seemed to require.

I hope that when CloneDVD mobile is released with the new engine, along with the profiles for specific devices there's an option to create reasonably generic output with H.264, MPEG-4 ASP, etc. so you can just specify the resolution (compensate for square pixels if you're coming from a DVD, or just downsized from HD), bitrate and go from there.

Need Storm support also

Has anyone figured the settiings (DivX, etc) that will work on the Storm until the menu selection is created by SlySoft?

I've been using the iPod Touch formats and they work well. I'll try the PSP format to see how that looks on the storm.

Adding a profile for the storm would rock. If I can find an existing profile that looks good I'll post the information.

Storm, please!

Another vote here for the Storm (just got it a week ago). I tried Sony PSP 480x272 (AVC/H264, FW > 3.30) --- the audio worked fine but the video was just a green screenful of noise. Which PSP setting works for the Storm? Or any other setting?

TM2-Megatron has the right idea, about being able to set your own parameters. I was really surprised that what seems like a relatively mature product offers no way of doing so. RIM's recommended format for local playback on the 9530 (Storm) is MP4 with H.264 video at 480x360 pixels up to 2 Mbps, and AAC-LC audio. Compared to the complexity of catering for dozens of different devices, how hard can it be to just let users enter those parameters themselves? Even if some manufacturers don't hand out that information (RIM certainly does), it will be somewhere on the web pretty soon after the release of each new model.

according to another post by Fernando he's working on a brand new (HD) engine for CloneDVD Mobile.

Does that means in the upcoming release of CloneDVD Mobile I will be able to convert one HD file format to another? If that's the case it will be great for my HD jukebox that I'm working on.

Any DVD in a Storm

Ok, I finally found a working combination that lets me put *my* DVDs (meaning DVDs I paid good money for), YouTube videos (Ryan Gosling's Dead Man's Bones makes a dynamite hi-res MTV), etc. on the Blackberry Storm (9530).

1. If you need to unlock any of your sources including HD/BD, try/buy AnyDVD from SlySoft. It takes up residence on your PC (restarts after each reboot) and whenever you put a DVD in the drive it intercepts reads by other programs and viola!

2. Try/buy Any Video Converter Professional from www.any-video-converter.com and get it running. For the Storm, go to Profile: in the upper right and select Apple iPhone/iPod Touch MPEG-4 Movie (*.mp4). Now left click on each of the fields to the right of the following key words and select (click on the down-arrow) as indicated:

Video Codec mpeg4
Video Size 480x270
Video Bitrate 1500
Video Framerate 30
Audio Bitrate 128
Sample Rate 44100
Audio Channel 2
Disable Audio No
A/V Sync Basic

Now go to Options at the bottom left. Make the following changes under the indicated tabs

General Tab
* Process priority Below Normal (gives priority to your regular work)
* Number of threads I picked 8 (Vista on Q6600), didn't hurt (does it help?)

Video Tab
* Video driver: if you don't know, pick DirectX
* Encode filters: Checking both boxes works fine, haven't tried without.
* Video resize: Checking "Fit to width" and "Round to 16 pixels" works fine. (I didn't check "Expand to video size" because my sources were all wider than 480, but I'd expect if you wanted it, the result would look reasonable. This is because the Storm's pixels are .14 mm or 180 dpi, about 11% smaller than the iPhone's pixels even though both screens are 50 mm along the short side. Pixels that small make the artifacts from expansion less objectionable than on say a 120 dpi display.)
* Audio/Video Sync: 0 no good (1 sec sync errors), 30 works fine

Now you're ready to roll. Add Video, use the previewer at upper right to determine which tracks to Remove (right click on them), ^A to select what's left, right click and select Merge Output (assuming you want the tracks as one video). Click on Encode, wait for Completed, click on Output Folder, plug your Storm into the USB, then Copy and Paste (or Cut and Paste if you don't want the backup for some weird reason).

Trial versions of both these programs are available, which lets you make sure they produce videos to your satisfaction before you blow your wad on them. AnyDVD trial is good for 21 days, which is ideal for testing (but wait until you have an upcoming free few hours to play around before downloading or the 21 days might run out on you before you get a chance to try it out). The trial version of Any Video Converter Professional only lets you record 3 minute chunks, which is close to useless for testing purposes because your device might be fine with a 3-minute chunk and choke to death on something bigger. So you'll have to believe me that this program with the above settings works like a charm on *much* longer videos than 3 minutes. On my Storm anyway (YMMV of course), OS v4.7.0.75, even for 90-minute videos (longest I've tried so far, produces slightly under 1GB with the above settings---if you find more efficient settings that work on the Storm please post).

Hint for operating the slider when watching (to jump to any point in the video): click the slider button to get its attention, *then* slide it (without clicking), watching the minutes indicator. When you've got it where you want it, click it again to commit (otherwise Play will reset it). The rest of the Storm's player interface is reasonably intuitive (as is the slider once you're used to it).

Blackberry Storm settings CloneDVD mobile

CloneDVD mobile profile "Generic (DivX)"

Resolution 480*272 (for 16:9 movies) or 480*360 (for 4:3 movies).

Quality 50

That should work.

DivX on the Storm?

Does the Storm really support DivX? That is not indicated on the RIM spec page for the Storm. I'll give it a go though, and report back. I've been trying to convert "We Were Soldiers" using a modification of the iPod Touch profile (mods to Res and ResAna to match the Storm's 480x360 4:3 resolution and 480x270 16:9 resolution)

The video looks fantastic, but the audio is clearly behind the video by 500-750 ms.

DivX a no-go on the BlackBerry Storm

Tried encoding a movie with the generic DivX profile as recommended. It returned this message

"The media being played is of an unsupported format."

Scratch DivX as a Storm option.

I would also like to request Storm support.

Encoding using one of the PSP templates (mp4) now with Eagle Eye - I will post if it looks/sounds good...

Okay, new update. The PSP conversion I did didn't work - wouldn't play. Anyway, just finished trying the iPod Touch template. I used 480x320, 17 quality (full), 2 pass for deinterlaceing (since it was a source DVD I could have gotten away with one pass) and letterbox zoom (which didn't seem to do anything). Again, this is using the Eagle Eye DVD, and the mp4 ended up being 750 MB.

The video quality is great. The audio is in sync with the video. I think it's pretty good.

Now I just need to figure out to get the audio to come through the Motorola S9's and I'm good to go... ;-)

I just see that the Storm plays the MPEG4 Part 2 Simple Profile, but not the MPEG-4 Part 2 Advanced Simple Profile (ASP).

Our "iPod Touch" profile features the Simple Profile, while the "Generic (DivX)" (which is XViD) features the Advanced Profile. Thus the Storm plays iTouch videos, not XViD videos.

Chris,
Thanks for weighing here on support for the BlackBerry Storm. I have been testing both the profile for the iPod Touch and iPod 5th gen, modifiying the resolution parameters to match the Storms screen resolution. They both produce beautiful video, much better than any of the other converters out there that I have tried. Slysoft has done a great job balancing data rate with quality!

Here's my results: the audio is subtley, but noticeable behind the video. Do you have a suggestion on a profile setting that would correct that. If I could get better audio sync, we'd be in business for the Storm until you guru types came out with an official, tweaked profile.

Thanks!

Chris,
Thanks for weighing here on support for the BlackBerry Storm. I have been testing both the profile for the iPod Touch and iPod 5th gen, modifiying the resolution parameters to match the Storms screen resolution. They both produce beautiful video, much better than any of the other converters out there that I have tried. Slysoft has done a great job balancing data rate with quality!

Here's my results: the audio is subtley, but noticeable behind the video. Do you have a suggestion on a profile setting that would correct that. If I could get better audio sync, we'd be in business for the Storm until you guru types came out with an official, tweaked profile.

Thanks!
See my reply in your other thread (I guess you chose new thread instead of post reply). To repeat my reply (for your iPod Touch profile tweaks):

Try adding a delay in your mopts

mopts=-delay 0.2 -faacopts (etc.)

Play with that (0.0, 0.1).

Back