• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Bit exact audio in Reclock without any resampling

what I believe is that most 24/192 DAC's(AK4396,PCM1792) work in 24/96 at heart, meaning whatever you feed them with, they will either crop or pad 16/32bit to fit their needs...and prolly the same occurs for the fs.
I don't believe that they work that way, but in case they do, the crop/pad in fs is called... SRC.;)

when you send 16int, the DAC will pad it in its registers...when you send 32int, I dunno what's happening :D

anyway, 96Khz is more optimal than 48Khz on many DAC's....remember the 24/96 samples we shared? downsample them to 24/48, and see how the trebles suffer ;)

24/96 is the sweet spot IMO...consumer equipment cannot output more than 18bit anyway, and most DAC's provide better filtering/oversampling at 96KHz....plus, doing 0.1% downsampling is criminal.

anyway, my point has been made, hopefully more ppl will test and confirm that 2X sample rate upsampling sounds better than 0.1% downsampling...it's clear both theoritically and IRL to me...the trebles and the soundstage turn to mush at 47952Hz :(

the major point will be whether James will agree to implement it(for 48KHz only) zigg.gif

Last edited:
righty. noone cares to try 96KHz resampling, and James doesn't seem to care implementing it...so yesgrey3's hack is as good as it's gonna get I guess :(

any chance you could add 2 hotkeys to set the volume output of the resampler? or is it not possible/too much work?

too bad the hack won't work for 24fps@48KHz, the sound is just playing twice faster and constantly hiccuping :eek:

I don't understand what has changed at what we are supposed to be trying.

I've previously run all video material at 96khz (resampled by ffdshow libsamplerate) and can't hear any different to running 48khz.

Convince me...
cool, you're still alive! well in 16bit we have 65536 values...going 99.8% upsampling allows to keep these original values and simply change their pitch w/o ditching previously existing trebles informations..

in any resampling, trebles are the firsts that suffer...the same reason recording studios never record in 48/96KHz if it will ever end up on a CD..they will usually go 176.4KHz to keep some headroom for mastering/mixing and such.

I can show you all kind of funky WaveSpectra graphs, but these will not prove anything...the best is prolly that you set some high end soundcard on some high end headphones/speakers, and try it on some TrueHD tracks? Kill Bill 1 or Nightmare Before Christmas are good choices 8)

as previously stated, it will have many advantages...such as:
-better trebles fidelity and phase linearity, as we won't be butchering 0.1% of audio data anymore
-automatically bit-matched audio on Asus Xonar cards, as they provide automatic pass-through for 96KHz/192KHz only(nice feature, you can keep the fixed samplerate at 44.1 in the drivers and kill the 3 resident .exe as you won't be needing them anymore :disagree:)
-better support for external DAC's that only allow 96KHz or 192Khz

ideally, if you could add an option to offer 2X or 4X oversampling for 48KHz only, this would be really great! so anyone could enjoy 96/192Khz high quality resampling..this will only add data, not remove any! and yes it's very audible :agree:)

upsampling is a heated subject, but the cPlay(an obsessional bit-perfect audio player) author made a very impressive tutorial: http://photos.imageevent.com/cics/v... art of building Computer Transports v0.3.pdf

an here's what he thinks:

Last edited:
Ahh...ok there's a trial resampler on the previous page.

Does this resample allow "normal" reclock use (not bit exact/disabled?).

I've found that reclock works best in "normal" mode with madVR.

Resampling to 96khz would simplify my setup, allowing me to use one set of room correction filters. Currently, if I resample to 96khz in ffdshow, I run out of grunt trying to do 8 channel room correction while playing a bluray sourcec mkv in software. But I might squeeze it if reclock resamples (no double resampling then).

PS. I see you have lipsync issues with the 2x resampler. If it's a fixed amount you can compensate with ffdshow video delay (I already need a 1500ms video delay for the room correction).

Mark

"original speed" does not work, as it's a dirty hack made by dirty yesgrey3 :D

24fps@48Khz does not work either.

+100ms in ffdshow audio seems to do the trick...but still seems a bit off, and neither 95 or 105 seem to help :eek:

No way a human will be able to tell the difference between 95 and 105ms.

I set mine in 50ms increments for the room correction (1450 or 1500 etc) - that's close enough.

Maybe the sync is varying?

hummm, on lips close-up I can easily spot ±5ms desync...make some sample, we'll see if I can find the properly synced file ;)

I often have to resync HDTV rips, and yes I want my audio spot-on when I watch them on my DLP pj :eek:

when you use speakers it's tricky as the audio takes some times to reach your ears(if you sit at the very back of a cinema, the sound will be very much late)...but on headphones, w/ some training, you can easily spot ±5 desync on lips closeups.

don't underestimate your brain, these tutorials do work:
http://www.purepitchmethod.com/
http://www.moultonlabs.com/full/product01/

if you work hard enough, you can get absolute pitch and golden ears ;)

I've previously run all video material at 96khz (resampled by ffdshow libsamplerate) and can't hear any different to running 48khz.
That's not a very good way of doing it, because you are resampling audio two times: first in ffdshow (48->96) and then in reclock to get smooth playback.
If it would be done in reclock, the audio would be resampled only once.

Convince me... :D
James, the only reasonable arguments I have were posted above in a previous post of mine, and the fact that it should be pretty simple for you to add. You could do it creating a new registry key (for example "InternalSampleRate") to allow it. This new key would simply set reclock's internal working frequency.;)

You could do it creating a new registry key (for example "InternalSampleRate") to allow it. This new key would simply set reclock's internal working frequency.;)
indeed, a registry key that you could either set to 2X or 4X for 48Khz(only, to avoid 88.2Khz) oversampling would be beyond words :bowdown:

96KHz would theoritically be better, but 192Khz could be worth a shot too :)

hummm, on lips close-up I can easily spot ±5ms desync...make some sample, we'll see if I can find the properly synced file ;)

I often have to resync HDTV rips, and yes I want my audio spot-on when I watch them on my DLP pj :eek:

when you use speakers it's tricky as the audio takes some times to reach your ears(if you sit at the very back of a cinema, the sound will be very much late)...but on headphones, w/ some training, you can easily spot ±5 desync on lips closeups.

don't underestimate your brain, these tutorials do work:
http://www.purepitchmethod.com/
http://www.moultonlabs.com/full/product01/

if you work hard enough, you can get absolute pitch and golden ears ;)

Some people can spot 1/3 of a millisecond in A/V desync, so 5ms seems rather average. :p

Some people can spot 1/3 of a millisecond in A/V desync, so 5ms seems rather average. :p
DBT or it didn't happen! :p

5ms is actually quite a lot, but I'm not that picky...if it's 5ms desynced, I can live w/ it :)

You do realise that if you are sitting 10ft (3m) from your TV that distance is adding 9ms of AV desync (speed of sound). So you just better always sit in the same place, never move around the room, and calibrate for your prime seating position!

Last edited:
I don't believe it! References? If we could we would be disturbed by the lipsync issues with people talking a few feet away from us!

Last edited:
Whew! Don't take them off or you'll get disorientated and fall over! :D

Another solution would be change the language of the movie. This will make the lipsync unimportant :D

Back