• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Bit exact audio in Reclock without any resampling

Hi,

I was referred to this thread by the RME forum.

Is there a similar program to Reclock that allows me to do this on Mac with Snow Leopard?

thanks a lot!

I'm not sure, because I only use windows, but I think the answer is no.:(

I don't know how MAC handles audio, but if it works similar to DirectSound, you would not need reclock, it would be enough for you to change the clock in your RME card and setting a display's refresh rate multiple of your videos frame rate.
If you need more help we can discuss it here, just tell me what material do you want to see and the refresh rates that your monitor can handle.;)
If you prefer, we can also discuss it in RME's forum. Maybe it's a better place, since this discussion will not be related with reclock...

from what the Amarra ppl are saying, the MacOS audio core also does nasty resampling

from what the Amarra ppl are saying, the MacOS audio core also does nasty resampling
So it seems that his only usage for the RME is for pitch perfect playback, for speed up or slow down of the movies...

hi yesgrey3 and leeperry,

thanks a lot for your answers.

Well, I'm using the FF800 with Windows 7 on a PC (that's why I found the thread on the RME forum)

but

I'd like to help someone out who's a Mac user and has been looking for a way to watch older classic movies properly that he's got on DVD.

He's got 2 setups.

Mac OS X 10.5.8

and a Mac with the latest OS X Snow Leopard

As far as I know he's using the integrated Apple DVD Player 5.03 as of now.
He said he's been playing the sound back in the original tempo but as a consequence had to add another frame per second which of course led to an annoying regular stutter of the video.

Is there a way to get around this problem?

So I'm not sure if this is still RME related, but I'm sure he could add some hardware to his setup if necessary in order to solve this.

If there's a simple way to change settings inside his software (or an additional one) that would be even easier I guess.

Thanks again for your time! Much appreciated!

I'd like to help someone out who's a Mac user and has been looking for a way to watch older classic movies properly that he's got on DVD.
Start by telling us what dvds are (PAL or NTSC) and which is the refresh rate of its display, and if he can change it.

Thanks again for your help guys!

It seems he's found a similar and acceptable solution with the Ultimate DVD player.

cheers!

New experimental registry values:
DWORD BypassResampler (0 or 1, default 0)
DWORD ForceSampleRate ( 0=off, frequency in kHz, default 0)

Soon I will download Windows7 RC1 to give it a try and then I will let you know if it's also working fine with WASAPI...
Sorry for the late reply, but only now I have installed W7 RC1.
The reg keys are also working fine with FF400 using WASAPI exclusive.
Once again, thank you very much for the reg keys.:)

James, I still hope that you create a combination of the registry keys that allows the automatic setting of the needed clock rate, so I could drop the registry scripts I'm currently using. Something like:
Code:
BypassResampler   1
ForceSampleRate   0
;)

Is this also possible with an RME Hammerfall?
it only works on RME w/ cards that support "SteadyClock", check the manual/website for your specific model.

but no resampling means no realtime adaptation, good luck getting 47.952Hz to work glitch-free for 90 mins in a row..

Last edited:
Is this also possible with an RME Hammerfall?
Please tell the exact model name of your card. Without it I cannot help you. It seems that your card has "SteadyClock" technology, so it should work.;)
If you need more help let me know. I have a FF400.

Please tell the exact model name of your card. Without it I cannot help you. It seems that your card has "SteadyClock" technology, so it should work.;)
If you need more help let me know. I have a FF400.

It consists of two parts:
An internal PCI Express card:
http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hdsp_pci_e_interface.php

And an external box with the analogue and digital connections (the link is for the Multiface II, I have the Multiface I):
http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_multiface_2.php

I cant read anything about steadyclock technology on the description pages. Nor do I see it being mentioned in the Steady Clock Technology page. I think its not compatible.

Last edited:
I cant read anything about steadyclock technology on the description pages. Nor do I see it being mentioned in the Steady Clock Technology page. I think its not compatible.
Yes, it's not compatible.:(
Your best option would be setting the sampling rate to 96kHz and setting resampling quality to Excellent (if you have enough cpu power to handle it). You will have advantage of not having A/V sync problems nor audio glitches.;)

Yes, it's not compatible.:(
Your best option would be setting the sampling rate to 96kHz and setting resampling quality to Excellent (if you have enough cpu power to handle it). You will have advantage of not having A/V sync problems nor audio glitches.;)

Its ok. I usually watch movies during the night, so I have to normalise the audio with ffdshow anyway. That makes it non-bit perfect anyway, isnt it?

Its ok. I usually watch movies during the night, so I have to normalise the audio with ffdshow anyway. That makes it non-bit perfect anyway, isnt it?
Yes, but why don't you use RME's Totalmixer? You could create a preset for night viewing...

Yes, but why don't you use RME's Totalmixer? You could create a preset for night viewing...

I dont understand. Are you saying that there is a way to normalise or compress the audio through the totalmixer?
My problem is that if the volume is normal the loud parts are REALLY loud and if the volume is low the dialogues are not clearly audible. Thats why I am normalising during the night so that I wont wake up the neighbours.

Ah, sorry, I have misunderstood you. I thought you only needed to lower the volume.:eek:

James,
I don't know if you have changed anything in the way the "ForceSampleRate" reg key works, but now I realized that even when I hear an audio file reclock is forcing the sampling rate...:(
I think this key should be ignored in "pure audio" mode, because an audio file does not need any pitch correction... Will it be too much work to only force the sampling rate for media files? IMHO that's the way it should be working...

Another thing that would be great, if it would not be too much work for you, is if you could change the description that is shown in reclock's properties dialog when playing a movie with the resampler bypassed and the sampling rate forced.
Currently it says: "XXX adaptation: media speed changed to xx.xxx fps. Audio resampled at xxxxx Hz"
When I set "BypassResampler = 1" and "ForceSampleRate = 48048", it would be preferable if reclock output something like this instead: "XXX adaptation: media speed changed to xx.xxx fps. Soundcard clock set to 48048 Hz" (I don't know which is the correct way, "set to" or "set at").
When we bypass the resampler by setting the key above, the words "bit exact" appear, and the current description that says reclock is resampling contradicts that (and it's not correct too). It also would be great to let us know (who use this feature) if we are using the correct soundcard's clock - it should match the Audio clock indicated in the "Clocks correction" group.
This is only a cosmetic thing, but if you could find the time for it it would be great.

Thanks.:)

PS: The bold is just for pointing you the change, and not to put it in bold.:D

James,
I don't know if you have changed anything in the way the "ForceSampleRate" reg key works, but now I realized that even when I hear an audio file reclock is forcing the sampling rate...:(
I think this key should be ignored in "pure audio" mode, because an audio file does not need any pitch correction... Will it be too much work to only force the sampling rate for media files? IMHO that's the way it should be working...
This should be easy.

Another thing that would be great, if it would not be too much work for you, is if you could change the description that is shown in reclock's properties dialog when playing a movie with the resampler bypassed and the sampling rate forced.
Currently it says: "XXX adaptation: media speed changed to xx.xxx fps. Audio resampled at xxxxx Hz"
When I set "BypassResampler = 1" and "ForceSampleRate = 48048", it would be preferable if reclock output something like this instead: "XXX adaptation: media speed changed to xx.xxx fps. Soundcard clock set to 48048 Hz" (I don't know which is the correct way, "set to" or "set at").
When we bypass the resampler by setting the key above, the words "bit exact" appear, and the current description that says reclock is resampling contradicts that (and it's not correct too). It also would be great to let us know (who use this feature) if we are using the correct soundcard's clock - it should match the Audio clock indicated in the "Clocks correction" group.
This is only a cosmetic thing, but if you could find the time for it it would be great.
Sorry, but cosmetics are quite time consuming. :eek:

Back