• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Best way to view, rip and backup 4k UHD Disks like LOTR Extended and others in 2021?

Dominick_7

Hi, i've looked through a number of threads but noticed they were dated from 2018 and 2019, so i wanted to see what you thought was the best way to go about viewing, ripping, storing and backing up 4k UHD discs for 2021? i use a Eurocom "super computer" Sky Z7 notebook/desktop replacement with top specs, an NVIDIA 2080 super max, i9 10900 cpu, currently with a 1080p 240hz screen that im looking to upgrade to a 144hz 4k screen when they become available. As with most new notebooks it seems, it doesn't come with a blu ray drive, so i've been using a thin Pioneer BDR-XD05B which i was told could handle UHD discs but apparently it can't. Based on this set up, i'm lead to believe i'll need a 4k drive and enclosure and either will need to keep the firmware as is without updating it or i'll need to search for the right old firmware and flash that through some process. i picked up a new Lord of the Rings extended edition 4k collectors box set realizing that i have no way as of present to view or rip it and have acquired a few other UHD titles as well. i've been looking at the LG WH16NS40 drive and Vantec NST-536S3-BK, but which 4k UHD drive and enclosure, but would you recommend as best?

There are wiser techs than me, but see my post "Help me Understand" . I did the same thing you're asking several years ago. There was a loophole in the early 4K disc recorder/players that allowed 4K discs to be read. RedFox took advantage of that and their software has worked ever since. BUT, its the payback side you have a couple more steps to do. I did the LOTR set you have at Christmas. It's impressive in 4K. I could not have accomplished what I did without the help of this forum. BTW, I use RAIDs on a local network, and PowerDVD. There are RAID boxes that can handle up to 14TB,the biggest I've tried. That's a lot of 4K movies. Don't forget though, RAIDS really aren't backup. I back up the RAIDS to single HDs and put those in a Faraday cage in my secret lair, ha ha, just kidding... With your setup, you just need one of the "correct" disc recorder/players and software, lots of software. But you'll be able to process much faster than my setup. Good Luck!

There are wiser techs than me, but see my post "Help me Understand" . I did the same thing you're asking several years ago. There was a loophole in the early 4K disc recorder/players that allowed 4K discs to be read. RedFox took advantage of that and their software has worked ever since. BUT, its the payback side you have a couple more steps to do. I did the LOTR set you have at Christmas. It's impressive in 4K. I could not have accomplished what I did without the help of this forum. BTW, I use RAIDs on a local network, and PowerDVD. There are RAID boxes that can handle up to 14TB,the biggest I've tried. That's a lot of 4K movies. Don't forget though, RAIDS really aren't backup. I back up the RAIDS to single HDs and put those in a Faraday cage in my secret lair, ha ha, just kidding... With your setup, you just need one of the "correct" disc recorder/players and software, lots of software. But you'll be able to process much faster than my setup. Good Luck!

coopervid helped me get it up and running, thanks brother. i use the ASUS BW-16D1HT, i put it in the OWC Mercury Pro enclosure and run it with MakeMKV.

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/bes...ching-uhd-4k-in-2021.80026/page-2#post-530967

Last edited:
Back