• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Best Use of AnyDVD (for me, at least...)

You should consider trying anyDVD, clonecd and Verbatim +R DL. I have been using this combination more recently and am very happy will the results. Aside from the $2 a disc average, it's better then having to replace your messed up originals. Plus Webslinger uses that combination, so you have your own personal diagnostic support via this forum.:clap: :D

THat does sound interesting. I never knew that CloneCD was able to do that until a couple of days ago when I read that on the forum here.

I almost purchased CloneCD back when it was still an Elby application, and before I got a chance Elby stopped offering it -- legal issues IIRC.

By the time I found out that Slysoft had picked up development on CloneCD I was already pretty entrenched with Nero for my audio burning -- which is all that I thought CloneCD could do.

J-Mac said:
By the time I found out that Slysoft had picked up development on CloneCD I was already pretty entrenched with Nero for my audio burning -- which is all that I thought CloneCD could do.

You may find this interesting.

1. For Double Layer disc backups, I use this method
(and this is the method I mostly use--except I do burn on the fly, which I don't recommend you do)

2. For Single layer disc backups, I use this method
(provided there is little to no compression involved)

3. To learn the best way to rip with Anydvd (if you must rip), visit here

Last edited:
Let me know when you see them for $1 a disc....please. The cheapest is $1.89 I can find.:doh:

I've never seen them for less than $1.50 a disc, on sale at Best Buy. I buy the 20-pack spindles only. All those have been made in Singapore. I don't compress DVDs. If the movie will fit SL by itself, I use DVD Shrink Re-author. If not, I use a dual layer disc. $1.50 is not that much for a back-up. It's worth it for better quality, convenience, and ease of use.

The main advantages are that 1) you get superior picture quality as a result of not having to transcode (yawn) or encode (double yawn) and 2) the overall burn process is much faster than encoding. The downside is cost, but I stock up on Verbatim +R DL media (Singapore) on the rare occasions they go on sale for about $1 U.S. per disc. And really, I'd much rather watch my non-compressed backups while others are still messing around encoding (*yawn yawn*). But to each, his or her own . . .

They haven't been less than $1.50, as far as I recall. I've watched for sales at Best Buy, NewEgg, Rima, and SuperMediaStore. The best deal I've found is the 20-pack spindle for $30, at Best Buy. I prefer spindles to jewel cases. I never compress any more. Waste of time. Noticeable quality loss on my setup. $1.50 isn't bad. They used to be $10 a piece. It's still cheaper than buying a new copy if your original is damaged. It's not easy to make DL discs. You will notice that Taiyo Yuden is still not competing with Verbatim in the DVD+R DL market. I've heard they make DVD-R DL, but never seen them anywhere.

They haven't been less than $1.50, as far as I recall.

The United States isn't the only country that sells Verbatim+R DL (made in Singapore).
And I don't live in the United States.

I've heard they make DVD-R DL, but never seen them anywhere.

dvd-r dl is a useless format. I wouldn't be overly interested, unless Taiyo Yuden started
making dvd +R DL.

Last edited:
The United States isn't the only country that sells Verbatim+R DL (made in Singapore).
And I don't live in the United States.

Many countries use dollars (USA, Canada, Australia). I didn't mention the USA, nor did I say they were the only country selling Verbatim +R9. I think the best price in the USA is $1.50. Do you know what that is in your currency?

dvd-r dl is a useless format. I wouldn't be overly interested, unless Taiyo Yuden started making dvd +R DL.

They don't seem to make DVD-R DL anymore. I'm pretty sure I saw them listed on VideoHelp's DVD Media list, but now I can't find them anywhere. It says alot that the #1 maker of DVD SL can't/won't enter the DL market, and Verbatim is the only company that makes consistently high-quality DL media.

Last edited:
Many countries use dollars (USA, Canada, Australia).

Yes, I am aware of that.

A brief search at a Canadian deal site, shows me some old deals:

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=407884
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=407884
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=391615

At the times (of those deals), based on exchange rates, that wasn't much more than $1 U.S. per disc. And that's just north of your border. Of course, the Canadian dollar has exploded recently, and it's now over 90 cents American.

Wow, just reading through some of the threads . . . some of those people pricematched other chains to get the price down even lower. Who knows what I'd find if I searched other deal sites?

I do know in Europe Verbatim +R DLs, in some areas, are terribly expensive.

Last edited:
I have no doubt that you get good results with DL media but I can make 5 copies using S/L discs for the price of one D/L disc.

If the original is lost, damaged, or stolen, you lose a lot more than that. I can see the quality loss, even at low compression. It costs $27-38 US for a 100 pk of TY DVDs at Rima. I prefer the silver inkjet media, $34-38. I hate wasting my time compressing a movie, and splitting is a hassle too. I burn dual layer using ImgBurn, the best program ever created. It lets you do a seamless layer break, like SuperBit DVDs and many Criterion discs have. Even some mainstream discs have seamless layer break, like L. A. Confidential R1 and Blade R1. I don't care about the 4-5x price differential. I started using DL when they were still $10 a piece. Quality and convenience make them worth the price. With PGC Edit and FixVTS, I can make a back-up that's better than the original.

I hate wasting my time compressing a movie, and splitting is a hassle too.

You speak the gospel! :agree:

With PGC Edit and FixVTS, I can make a back-up that's better than the original.

Ah, I thought for a moment that I found someone as lazy as I am. Apparently not :D

The quest continues . . .

Last edited:
Ah, I thought for a moment that I found someone as lazy as I am. Apparently not . . . :D

I just like to save time watching the DVD by getting rid of the stupid copyright warnings, MPAA ratings, disclaimers, and previews. It's not much trouble to do with PGC Edit and FixVTS integrates nicely with it. I usually don't need FixVTS unless I'm removing cells or killing playback. Most of the operations are fast or can run in the background while I work on other things. I also like seamless LB which reduces or eliminates the delay when changing layers. I don't spend any more than 5 minutes interacting with all these programs.

Wow, just reading through some of the threads . . . some of those people pricematched other chains to get the price down even lower. Who knows what I'd find if I searched other deal sites?

Circuit City and Sears will match the price and take off 10% of the difference. Unfortunately, they don't sell Verbatim DL DVDs. They do have Sonys. All the Sears stores I've checked had lots of Sony 8x DVD+R MIJ, with the octagonal spacer, which is TY media. You can get a 50-pack for like $12. I'd rather buy from Rima or SuperMediaStore, though. Sony probably uses Value Line media. Their scans aren't as good as the best 8x TY +R.

I don't spend any more than 5 minutes interacting with all these programs.

Yeah, but you still have to rip first. As Anydvd removes the playback restrictions (and often "jump to main menu" works often enough, with some notable exceptions, that I don't care), the other junk, if I do end up seeing it, doesn't really bother me.

Last edited:
Back