• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Best Possible Quality Settings

studlygoorite

Hello, I would like to get the best possible quality without worries of storage space, can someone tell me the difference between copying a 4k bluray with settings of H.265/HEVC 10 MKV for Plex vs "lossless" video settings to MKV if any? I thought the discs were encoded in H.265/HEVC 10 so wouldn't using that setting be the best or am I missing something here? Thanks

This is something I do on a regular basis. For max quality use lossless. You can encode it lower but you lose a little quality. it's 265 either way though.

I will from now on thanks, still curious what the difference is setting H.265/HEVC 10 compared to lossless is with Clone BD though. There is about 10 to 15Gb difference in the end result.

I will from now on thanks, still curious what the difference is setting H.265/HEVC 10 compared to lossless is with Clone BD though. There is about 10 to 15Gb difference in the end result.

Well the original disc (in the case of UHD) is encoded in 265 to begin with. I think lossless is still in 265 it just does not compress or reencode it to a lower bitrate.

lossless is lossless. That's the whole point of it. It grabs the audio/video/subtitle streams AS IS and copies them over into 1:1 into a new BD50 or an MKV. It doesn't touch anything on them.

Now we are getting somewhere, thanks again. I understand now that for the best quality copy of my 4k bluray with AnyDVD and CloneBD I would use the lossless setting. Still though, for my peace of mind, can someone tell me what using the setting H.265/HEVC10 is doing to the copy, if the disc is already in this format is CloneBD re-doing the the whole compression thing while compressing it a little further hence the loss of 10Gb or so?

Now we are getting somewhere, thanks again. I understand now that for the best quality copy of my 4k bluray with AnyDVD and CloneBD I would use the lossless setting. Still though, for my peace of mind, can someone tell me what using the setting H.265/HEVC10 is doing to the copy, if the disc is already in this format is CloneBD re-doing the the whole compression thing while compressing it a little further hence the loss of 10Gb or so?

Try using the setting you’re inquiring about, and then look at the video bitrate and then compare that to the video bitrate of your “lossless” rip. I’m sure you’ll notice a difference, but I’m not sure by how much. I’ve never ripped any of my UHDs, just BDs.

Back