• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Best GUI encoder for UHD Blu-rays

I figured out how to hardcode subtitles on the newest version of StaXrip (1.7.0.6). I had some help from sneaker_ger on the doom9 forum. He recommended since "StaxRip supports VapourSynth you might want to try that. Should be easier than AviSynth since it supported 10 bit from the beginning." I had to install Python-3.6.4 (64 bit) and then VapourSynth-R43 (64bit). I then set the paths in Staxrip under > Apps > Manage. I set the paths for VapourSynth and vspipe under Apps and Python under Runtime. Then right click in the filter box > Filter setup > VapourSynth. At some point a had to install a C++ library and reboot. I set the source filter to ffms2. You do not need to change the source code to get a 10 bit video pipe.

I installed VapourSynth R43 64bit and Python 3.6.4 64 bit, and I also had to install C ++. Staxrip 1.7.0.6, with ffms2, gives real 10bit output without changing the source code. Thank you.

Just wanted to let everyone know that the next version of RipBot264 will support hard coded subtitles for 10bit content. I've been testing the solution that is being implemented and it works quite well.

Hey everyone,

I realize this thread is a few months old, but I am having trouble with VapourSynth in the latest build (both stable and nightly). I'm trying to get the 10bit pipe using v1.7.0.6, and after demuxing, I get an error and the video can't be loaded. This only happens if I choose VapourSynth for my source filter. The log seems to indicate that the plugin folder is missing, but the path it mentions definitely exists, and I've also set the paths in the App settings. Various errors and log attached. I will say that errors 1 and 2 do not happen every time. Error 3 does.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Staxrip errors.zip
    14 KB · Views: 4
Hey everyone,

I realize this thread is a few months old, but I am having trouble with VapourSynth in the latest build (both stable and nightly). I'm trying to get the 10bit pipe using v1.7.0.6, and after demuxing, I get an error and the video can't be loaded. This only happens if I choose VapourSynth for my source filter. The log seems to indicate that the plugin folder is missing, but the path it mentions definitely exists, and I've also set the paths in the App settings. Various errors and log attached. I will say that errors 1 and 2 do not happen every time. Error 3 does.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Are you using imhh1 nightly build? I post a download link. Here's a video to help you out as well.

Are you using imhh1 nightly build? I post a download link. Here's a video to help you out as well.

I had seen that others were able to get a 10-bit pipe with the latest nightly build though, using VS. I did end up using your build, and it worked. I definitely appreciate you posting that!

My source is testing the latest update with additional mods and if it checks out I'll add it to my server for everyone to use for HDR 10bit. I've used vapour synth too for 10bit as well with success. I'm messing with straxrip ffmpg prores 422 10bit for my YouTube channel and it's working great with my blackmagic 4k captures in lossless.

My source is testing the latest update with additional mods and if it checks out I'll add it to my server for everyone to use for HDR 10bit. I've used vapour synth too for 10bit as well with success. I'm messing with straxrip ffmpg prores 422 10bit for my YouTube channel and it's working great with my blackmagic 4k captures in lossless.

Hey thanks for your work! But I have a question. Could I be doing something wrong? Whenever I try to do it, the HDR tag works and it shows up as HDR on my TV, but my files are sooooo much smaller than scene encodes of the same video, with my settings as close as possible to their versions. I actually downscale mine to 1080p but noticed the average bitrate even with crf 14-15 was only about 3000kbps, which seems ridiculously low, so right now I'm encoding at 2160p and so far the average bitrate only seems to be 6000kbps, where as the scene release for the same video is about 11Mb/s - why is mine only half that? For the same source - 4k HDR bluray remux.

Here's the media info for the scene encode:
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Commercial name : HDR10
Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@High
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration : 2 h 14 min
Bit rate : 11.1 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 1 608 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.075
Stream size : 10.5 GiB (66%)
Writing library : x265 2.8+66-88ee12651e30:[Windows][GCC 6.3.0][64 bit] 10bit
Encoding settings : cpuid=1111039 / frame-threads=4 / numa-pools=20 / wpp / no-pmode / no-pme / no-psnr / no-ssim / log-level=2 / input-csp=1 / input-res=3840x1608 / interlace=0 / total-frames=193864 / level-idc=51 / high-tier=1 / uhd-bd=0 / ref=4 / no-allow-non-conformance / repeat-headers / annexb / aud / hrd / info / hash=0 / no-temporal-layers / no-open-gop / min-keyint=1 / keyint=24 / gop-lookahead=0 / bframes=4 / b-adapt=2 / b-pyramid / bframe-bias=0 / rc-lookahead=25 / lookahead-slices=4 / scenecut=40 / radl=0 / no-intra-refresh / ctu=64 / min-cu-size=8 / rect / no-amp / max-tu-size=32 / tu-inter-depth=1 / tu-intra-depth=1 / limit-tu=0 / rdoq-level=2 / dynamic-rd=0.00 / no-ssim-rd / signhide / no-tskip / nr-intra=0 / nr-inter=0 / no-constrained-intra / no-strong-intra-smoothing / max-merge=3 / limit-refs=3 / limit-modes / me=3 / subme=3 / merange=57 / temporal-mvp / weightp / no-weightb / no-analyze-src-pics / deblock=-3:-3 / no-sao / no-sao-non-deblock / rd=4 / no-early-skip / rskip / no-fast-intra / no-tskip-fast / no-cu-lossless / no-b-intra / no-splitrd-skip / rdpenalty=0 / psy-rd=2.00 / psy-rdoq=1.00 / no-rd-refine / no-lossless / cbqpoffs=0 / crqpoffs=0 / rc=crf / crf=17.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpstep=4 / stats-write=0 / stats-read=0 / vbv-maxrate=160000 / vbv-bufsize=160000 / vbv-init=0.9 / crf-max=0.0 / crf-min=0.0 / ipratio=1.40 / pbratio=1.30 / aq-mode=1 / aq-strength=1.00 / cutree / zone-count=0 / no-strict-cbr / qg-size=32 / no-rc-grain / qpmax=69 / qpmin=0 / no-const-vbv / sar=1 / overscan=0 / videoformat=5 / range=0 / colorprim=9 / transfer=16 / colormatrix=9 / chromaloc=1 / chromaloc-top=2 / chromaloc-bottom=2 / display-window=0 / master-display=G(13250,34500)B(7500,3000)R(34000,16000)WP(15635,16450)L(10000000,1) / max-cll=0,0 / min-luma=0 / max-luma=1023 / log2-max-poc-lsb=8 / vui-timing-info / vui-hrd-info / slices=1 / no-opt-qp-pps / no-opt-ref-list-length-pps / no-multi-pass-opt-rps / scenecut-bias=0.05 / no-opt-cu-delta-qp / no-aq-motion / hdr / hdr-opt / no-dhdr10-opt / no-idr-recovery-sei / analysis-reuse-level=5 / scale-factor=0 / refine-intra=0 / refine-inter=0 / refine-mv=0 / no-limit-sao / ctu-info=0 / no-lowpass-dct / refine-mv-type=0 / copy-pic=1 / max-ausize-factor=1.0 / no-dynamic-refine / no-single-sei
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics : PQ
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries : Display P3
Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0001 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2

And here's mine:
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 1 608 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 10 bits
Writing library : x265 2.8+66-88ee12651e30:[Windows][GCC 8.2.1][64 bit] 10bit
Encoding settings : cpuid=1064959 / frame-threads=3 / numa-pools=8 / wpp / no-pmode / no-pme / no-psnr / no-ssim / log-level=2 / input-csp=1 / input-res=3840x1608 / interlace=0 / total-frames=193864 / level-idc=51 / high-tier=1 / uhd-bd=0 / ref=4 / no-allow-non-conformance / repeat-headers / annexb / aud / hrd / info / hash=0 / no-temporal-layers / no-open-gop / min-keyint=1 / keyint=24 / gop-lookahead=0 / bframes=8 / b-adapt=0 / b-pyramid / bframe-bias=0 / rc-lookahead=25 / lookahead-slices=4 / scenecut=40 / radl=0 / no-intra-refresh / ctu=64 / min-cu-size=8 / no-rect / no-amp / max-tu-size=32 / tu-inter-depth=1 / tu-intra-depth=1 / limit-tu=0 / rdoq-level=2 / dynamic-rd=0.00 / no-ssim-rd / signhide / no-tskip / nr-intra=0 / nr-inter=0 / no-constrained-intra / no-strong-intra-smoothing / max-merge=3 / limit-refs=3 / limit-modes / me=2 / subme=3 / merange=57 / temporal-mvp / weightp / no-weightb / no-analyze-src-pics / deblock=-3:-3 / no-sao / no-sao-non-deblock / rd=4 / no-early-skip / rskip / no-fast-intra / no-tskip-fast / no-cu-lossless / no-b-intra / no-splitrd-skip / rdpenalty=0 / psy-rd=2.00 / psy-rdoq=0.00 / no-rd-refine / no-lossless / cbqpoffs=0 / crqpoffs=0 / rc=crf / crf=17.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpstep=4 / stats-write=0 / stats-read=0 / vbv-maxrate=160000 / vbv-bufsize=160000 / vbv-init=0.9 / crf-max=0.0 / crf-min=0.0 / ipratio=1.40 / pbratio=1.30 / aq-mode=1 / aq-strength=1.00 / cutree / zone-count=2 / zones: / start-frame=1 / end-frame=100 / qp=30 / zones: / start-frame=181490 / end-frame=193864 / qp=46 / no-strict-cbr / qg-size=32 / no-rc-grain / qpmax=69 / qpmin=0 / no-const-vbv / sar=0 / overscan=0 / videoformat=5 / range=0 / colorprim=9 / transfer=16 / colormatrix=9 / chromaloc=0 / display-window=0 / master-display=G(13250,34500)B(7500,3000)R(34000,16000)WP(15635,16450)L(10000000,1) / max-cll=0,0 / min-luma=0 / max-luma=1023 / log2-max-poc-lsb=8 / vui-timing-info / vui-hrd-info / slices=1 / no-opt-qp-pps / no-opt-ref-list-length-pps / no-multi-pass-opt-rps / scenecut-bias=0.00 / no-opt-cu-delta-qp / no-aq-motion / hdr / hdr-opt / no-dhdr10-opt / no-idr-recovery-sei / analysis-reuse-level=5 / scale-factor=0 / refine-intra=0 / refine-inter=0 / refine-mv=0 / no-limit-sao / ctu-info=0 / no-lowpass-dct / refine-mv-type=0 / copy-pic=1 / max-ausize-factor=1.0 / no-dynamic-refine / no-single-sei
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics : PQ
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color pri : Display P3
Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0001 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2

My encode is only about half-done, but staxrip is telling me the average bitrate so far is only 6450kbps. This can't be right. Again, I'm not encoding from an encode - I'm encoding from the 4k bluray remux so it's the same source. How could mine be only half the bitrate??

I have found a couple differences, but I can't imagine how these changes can cause my encode to by half the bitrates. The differences I found were scene had: bframes 4 instead of 8, rect enabled instead of none, me 3 instead of 2, zone-count 0 instead of 2, sar 1 instead of 0, chromaloc=1 instead of 0, chromaloc-top=2 / chromaloc-bottom=2 enabled (mine does not), scenecut-bias=0.05 instead of 0 (I actually tried to specify .05 in the settings but it shows up as 0 in mediainfo - it may be a nonstandard setting or maybe it won't show up correctly until the encode is finished). I also enabled zones for lower bitrates for the credits, but that's not going to cut my bitrates in half from the scene encode - not for just a few minutes of credits. To be honest, the final products that I've done when downscaling to 1080p look great on my 65inch TV, but I'm just amazed and confused how the bitrates can be soooo low compared to the scene releases (even when I try to do a full 2160p instead of 1080p encode).

EDIT: So apparently it's even possible to specify chromaloc and zone-count, it throws an error that is an unknown function. But I've changed the others and I'm trying again, but I'm not optimistic. I can't imagine how bframes, rect and me can drastically change bitrate.

Last edited:
'scene encodes'? You mean pirated video you downloaded? That terminates your support right there. Responses to the above post may be deleted.

Redfox does not condone piracy, whether it's being done with redfox or third party products.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

'scene encodes'? You mean pirated video you downloaded? That terminates your support right there. Responses to the above post may be deleted.

Redfox does not condone piracy, whether it's being done with redfox or third party products.

That is not at all what I said. I simply said there are scene encodes and I was wondering why my LEGALLY-made encode is at such a lower bitrate even with the same settings. Sounds like you didn't even read my post. Thanks for jumping to conclusions though!

I read just fine.

Here's the media info for the scene encode:

You said you're comparing to scene encodes. Meaning you likely are downloading or have downloaded the files your comparing your own encodes with illegally.

Thus we cannot assist you with that. The only way this will be allowed to continue is if you elaborate WHICH scene encodes your comparing with and how you got them to begin with.

I am not jumping to conclusions, you clearly stated you're comparing against scene encodes.

I read just fine.

You said you're comparing to scene encodes. Meaning you likely are downloading or have downloaded the files your comparing your own encodes with illegally.

Thus we cannot assist you with that. The only way this will be allowed to continue is if you elaborate WHICH scene encodes your comparing with and how you got them to begin with.

I am not jumping to conclusions, you clearly stated you're comparing against scene encodes.

Again, you're jumping to conclusions. I'm comparing the MEDIAINFO which is readily available without downloading. I'm comparing the mediainfo from my encodes to scene encodes. Again, the mediainfo is readily available online without needing to download. So yes, you are jumping to conclusions.

Well since you're comparing against scene encodes you're obviously familiar with that environment one way or another (and no I'm not saying you're engaging in uploading or anything), maybe you should ask about the 'best' one over there too. This isn't the proper place for it

That said, 'best' is relative anyway and doesn't exist. What may be the best one for one user, can be the absolute worst one for you.

The admin is correct. Your first file is an encode as the final file size is 10g. You trying to encode a encoded file. Normal uhds are 50gig and once encoded usually target 18-22gig.

The admin is correct. Your first file is an encode as the final file size is 10g. You trying to encode a encoded file. Normal uhds are 50gig and once encoded usually target 18-22gig.

You misunderstand. The first file is NOT the SOURCE file. It is a file I am comparing my encoded version to - which is encoded from a remux.

Last edited:
2nd encode is crf17. Higher crf lower bitrate. You can use force bitrate 21000 or crf 13

And by the way your first source IS a slice of a file. The metadata does not have this on uhd...

Encoding settings : cpuid=1111039 / frame-threads=4 / numa-pools=20 / wpp / no-pmode / no-pme / no-psnr / no-ssim / log-level=2 / input-csp=1 / input-res=3840x1608 / interlace=0 / total-frames=193864 / level-idc=51 / high-tier=1 / uhd-bd=0 / ref=4 / no-allow-non-conformance / repeat-headers / annexb / aud / hrd / info / hash=0 / no-temporal-layers / no-open-gop / min-keyint=1 / keyint=24 / gop-lookahead=0 / bframes=4 / b-adapt=2 / b-pyramid / bframe-bias=0 / rc-lookahead=25 / lookahead-slices=4 / scenecut=40 / radl=0 / no-intra-refresh / ctu=64 / min-cu-size=8 / rect / no-amp / max-tu-size=32 / tu-inter-depth=........ect....

I should know because I connvert and capture my store bought uhds.

A muxed uhd still would be 21gig.....unless your movie is 45min lol

Again, you're misunderstanding me. I'm asking WHY is my file, which has the same SOURCE and same CRF levels and settings, encoding at such a lower bitrate?
And by the way your first source IS a slice of a file. The metadata does not have this on uhd...

Encoding settings : cpuid=1111039 / frame-threads=4 / numa-pools=20 / wpp / no-pmode / no-pme / no-psnr / no-ssim / log-level=2 / input-csp=1 / input-res=3840x1608 / interlace=0 / total-frames=193864 / level-idc=51 / high-tier=1 / uhd-bd=0 / ref=4 / no-allow-non-conformance / repeat-headers / annexb / aud / hrd / info / hash=0 / no-temporal-layers / no-open-gop / min-keyint=1 / keyint=24 / gop-lookahead=0 / bframes=4 / b-adapt=2 / b-pyramid / bframe-bias=0 / rc-lookahead=25 / lookahead-slices=4 / scenecut=40 / radl=0 / no-intra-refresh / ctu=64 / min-cu-size=8 / rect / no-amp / max-tu-size=32 / tu-inter-depth=........ect....

I should know because I connvert and capture my store bought uhds.

A muxed uhd still would be 21gig.....unless your movie is 45min lol

OMG. You are not reading my comment at all. I NEVER SAID THE FIRST FILE IS THE SOURCE FILE. The first file IS an encoded scene release. I have not posted the metadata for the source file AT ALL because it is remux. I am not an idiot. The SECOND file is ALSO an encoded file, but it is MINE. My whole point is why are BOTH of the encoded files, which have the same SOURCE, not encoding at the same bitrate, even with the same CRF levels. I don't know how to make myself any clearer.

Do you know how to use crop to tell encoder to not include the black bars as part of crd value??

You used plus minus keys to fill in the crop. Did you do this from the Top menu items crop to hide the top and bottom bara with blue and green ?

Back