• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Best friendly drive to buy

I know, I was just hoping the BU40N might get past some of the iffy discs or tough to read versus totally damaged.

It's interesting that the AnyDVD rip from the MakeMKV ISO fails in that same spot and if I let it finish and then try to use CloneBD to grab the episodes from the AnyDVD rip, it fails on one. But if I just mount the MakeMKV ISO and then use CloneBD I can get the episodes without it complaining about an error.

It's a bummer that there seems to be a bad one in each season.

The bu40n is a magic little drive but its magic is limited. It can't overcome a physically damaged disc. However, I've had many that wouldn't read in any of my NS60's that the bu40n were able to read with no issue. Never hurts to try but at the end of the day if you're getting consistent read errors in the same spot on the disc, it's a bad disc.

With 3 drives I guess I know for sure that its the disc. :)

Do you know if there is an artificial limit on the transfer rates of a mounted ISO and or CloneBD? I got a new setup with an AMD 5950x CPU and a PCI 4.0 NVMe drive. Not doing any transcoding and the first half maxes out at around 250FPS with like 3-5% CPU usage and the burn half shows 76000 kB/s and I think that is like 80 MB/s. The ISO is mounted from the NVMe (like 6500MB read/wright) and the temporary folder is on a SSD at around 450MB/s, then the final ISO is written back to the NVMe drive.

I don't believe so. At leave none that I've ever seen. All my machines are nvme and they max out when container shifting to mkv.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I forgot to ask but is there a way to slow the read speed that would maybe get a better read of this disc. ImgBurn seems to slow down on it's own but I thought others had said something about slowing the drive in an attempt to read a bad disc.

Imgburn allows you to set the speed.

I set it to 1x just to see and it ramps up to 3.5x Read Rate. ??? Not sure it would do anything as it seems to slow down on it's own in the bad spot. I tried again and this time it got to 56 retries and stopped with a popup. The first time it got to like 25 retries but kept going with no popup. Fun.

The lowest these drives can go is 2x.

Ok, so it ignored the setting at 1x and did max speed? I see that there is also a setting under tools, drive, set read speed. It don't seem to change the read speed on the main screen. Looks like it now stops at 2x.

Ok, it looks like if you set the speed to 1x it just goes Max. Not sure if you need to use the tool tools, drive, set read speed setting. Also sure this won't change the outcome but good info to know I guess.

Interesting, at the 2.x speed when it got to 33% it made some noise but I was working on some thing else at the time but looking at it now it got passed the 33% make with no retries. ??? Still has 3 hours to go. :(

At max speed I tried a few times and it never showed any read errors but 14-55-ish retries. Those left corruption in the last few minutes of episode one using CloneBD and errors trying an AnyDVD rip.

Fingers crosed.

Last edited:
Oh well, ImgBurn did not show any errors but the AnyDVD rip still had 2000+ verify error sectors. :(

Yeah, I guess the slower read just stops it from slowing down to still read the same bad data and accruing retries.

I'm seeing the same thing again with GOT S5 D3. Such a pain, like they mess up one disk in each season. Again at the 30-ish% mark. I was able to get a different disc last time but this stinks.

Is there a way to pass the bad section? Last time I was able to get each show off the disc with just a bit of corruption at the very end of one episode.

The bu40n was slow at 31% and got passed it but then just stops at 38% with a Device Not Ready (Invalid Field in CDB) message. ??? :(

upload_2021-3-6_12-0-33.png

The bu40n was slow at 31% and got passed it but then just stops at 38% with a Device Not Ready (Invalid Field in CDB) message. ??? :(

View attachment 55704

That's not an anydvd problem. That's an IMGburn or disc one, the BU40N doesn't even work with anydvd natively to begin with.

Also possibly a power issue on the drive.

I'm not sure how to check the power output is adequate but it's a fancy new motherboard with a fancy full USB 3.2 USB-C port. Image burn died in the exact same spot both times on this disc and it's never done that before with this drive and troublesome discs. I went ahead and used MVK make and it didn't crash but one of the three large M2TS files for the episodes failed some kind of hash check or something like that. It's kind of interesting as clone BD failed on two of the episodes and I gave up.

All three the drives I have, have issues with the disc and it seems I always have at least one disc out of a season that's bad but if it's really just the discs it seems like there would be more people complaining if every single season had a disc that was bad.

When I used the regular USB cable that also came with the drive enclosure on a USB 3 port It definitely had some power issues. After I moved it to the USB C port on the back of the motherboard I didn't have any more issues.

Yea I use USB-C on mine and haven't had any power issues. If it's happening in the same spot on the disc, that's the disc and those are read errors. UHD is a finnicky beast to tame.

I tried it on my work laptop and just used MakeMKV to copy the files and only one of the three main files made it. :( It got most of one but the last one only got about 3gb. I'm guessing that is the one the ImgBurn crashes on. I guess if I had a set top player it would just have some glitches and keep going and folks just live with it? Or I'm very unlucky.

upload_2021-3-7_8-24-40.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-3-7_8-18-19.png
    upload_2021-3-7_8-18-19.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 5
you'll have to go over to the MakeMKV place then this section is about AnyDVD UHD, and topic about drives. Not third party software problems.

Back