• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Best drive for ripping - slim snap on or full size caddy?

rapjp

All,

Been very frustrated recently being unable to rip some BluRays using two BluRay drives I have - one is an old LG drive and another is a LiteOn...I get read errors on some of the Blockbuster rentals despite my best effort to clean the disk and not leave any visible dirt on it.

I decided to try some newer drives in the market -
I first tried the LG BP40NS20 external USB drive with a snap on caddy (you know where you snap the disc in place) and it ripped a disc my older drives could not (Austin Powers 2)....I returned the drive back because it was an open box item and I had got it merely to experiment and the store did not have unopened boxes of this drive. By this time I had also returned the rental of Austin Powers 2

I subsequently got the rental of Austin Powers 3 and faced the same issue with read errors on it and I missed the NS20 drive...Since the store was out with BP40NS20 drive, I went and got another LG drive but this time in full size from Best Buy (BE14NU40). This drive looks really beautiful and solid and I felt it might perform even better. Now when I tried to read Austin Powers 3 it is also reporting read errors like my older drives.

My dilemma is - Would the read error on Austin Powers 3 have also happened on the NS20 slim drive? (How I wish I still had it).

This led me to question one thing - Most full size drives have that caddy that allows you to just drop the disc in it and close BUT the slim drives with the snap on caddy require you to snap the disc in place before closing...Is that snapping in place causing those slim drives to suffer from lower read errors???

And finally my question - What *is* the most reliable Blu Ray ripping drive out there please? I am so frustrated trying all these drives and it is a hit or miss...I would much rather pay more and get the best drive than have these frequent issues.

Please advise...

Thanks

Back