• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Best Blu-ray Rental Service

Just think all your disks will come with the Cinavia #^@!* Blu-ray and standard definition

Maybe it's time to stop buying the disc and than worry about how to back it up, Instead just rent it watch it and go to sleep....LOL

We can commiserate together. I left Netflix when they raised their rates back when and went over (actually returned) to Blockbuster by mail. I regret the decision since Netflix doesn't offer at 3-at-a-time rental any longer and Blockbuster has been pretty horrible. Slow website, slow turnaround, long wait times, broken media (a lot more than with Netflix and, unlike Netflix, the next copy counts toward your queue again) just to name a few problems.

Are you saying Netflix doesn't have the 3 disc option? If that is the case your sadly mistaking if that what you mean. Blockbuster hasn't done itself any service. Family members of mine used them before and they made up charge and late fees and put charges on their accounts when they didn't even return items late or missing. That is their business model nickel and dime people and you don't expect people to leave....

2012 has been a hard year for Blockbuster. Beginning with the major closings of stores and distribution centers at the beginning of the year, Blockbuster went straight into the toilet culminating with a point in the summer where they just stopped sending out movies for a week or two (they say it was because they moved the location of the servers). Since that really bad low point they've come back a little but are a long way from acceptable.

No they still are in the toilet and gutters for anyone else to say otherwise is drinking alot of koolaid. There is no moving of server more like they had to closed business location cause they were loosing customers. No they already lost creditability and that isn't coming back.

You might ask why I'm still with Blockbuster? Bottom line is, I complain constantly to Blockbuster, and often times they offer a credit to make up for all the problems so I get a discounted service. If I had to pay full price I would have left long ago. At one point, I was begging them to send me bonus discs instead of giving a credit because I had two months! of credits already.

I hope your experience is better.

My experience from Netflix other then the price hike is I can live with it and the mailing. They have a subscription options for varying plans and if take time to look they are still there and yes they did loose customers but then again. They also kept most of their customer base but still because the other options buying DVD/BD isn't a very pleasing alternative considering how many you would have to buy and if you didn't like it no returns for open items. Rental gives the customer a chance to watch and if they like it to purchase it to keep.

Family members of mine used them before and they made up charge and late fees and put charges on their accounts when they didn't even return items late or missing. That is their business model nickel and dime people and you don't expect people to leave....

I read the fine print before I sign up, There is no late fees on mail service even if you want to go to store you will just exchange it, That may still apply to in store only customers.

The first movie arrived 12/18/12 afternoon, So far so good.

I read the fine print before I sign up, There is no late fees on mail service even if you want to go to store you will just exchange it, That may still apply to in store only customers.

This is based on past experiences up to mid 90's when I finally left their services after being nickel and dimed....

Last edited:
Are you saying Netflix doesn't have the 3 disc option? If that is the case your sadly mistaking if that what you mean.

Netflix doesn't offer new subscribers the 3 at a time option, you have to have had the option prior to the change to focus on streaming. If I'm wrong, please give me a link to sign up for 3 at a time with Netflix. I plan to use it after this month is up with Blockbuster. I just received the 5th unplayable disc since the beginning of December and I'm pretty fed up.

Netflix doesn't offer new subscribers the 3 at a time option, you have to have had the option prior to the change to focus on streaming. If I'm wrong, please give me a link to sign up for 3 at a time with Netflix. I plan to use it after this month is up with Blockbuster. I just received the 5th unplayable disc since the beginning of December and I'm pretty fed up.

So did you stay subscribed after 2 weeks or no? I am current member and looking at my subscription goes from 1 disc to 8 disc out plan. Did you even contact them and talk to customer service? If what your saying is as it why would I even have all those 1 to 8 disc option listed on my unlimited plan? It sounds like you haven't tried or didn't use the Netflix service and not sure where your getting your info that they don't give a 3 disc option? They do give you the trial plan but you need to give them a CC and if you don't like need to make effort to cancel your membership otherwise you will agree to be a subscriber with your current plan or change you dvd rental plan. But as I mentioned before without know where your getting your info and not having used Netflix before as your talking about shouldn't make a claim of not having varying rental disc plans without telling us where your getting your info from. I can't say for sure if what your saying it true unless you can give a link or something to as where your getting that info from. If they only limited member to 3 disc only or no option I think that will torpedo Netflix and send it the way of BB right into the toliet.

Last edited:

Did you try this link from FurryGuy?: https://dvd.netflix.com/

It should allow you to change it to 3 disks at a time once you sign up. Why would they not allow more disks? It's more money for them.

BTW, I never get more than about 1 out of 10 disks that are damaged form Netflix. But it does happen, especially with blu ray.

Last edited:

Even if there is no explicit late fee, the fact is, the fewer disks you return per month, the more you are paying for each disk rental. Theoretically, you could keep a disk for a year and end up paying around $100 dollars to rent that disk for that long. If you only rent a few a month, it's cheaper to go with the limited plans. If you cancel the plan, they give you 7 days to return the DVD's and if not returned within that tme, they charge your card for the retail value. That's the way Netflix's policy works, anyway. I would expect that BB has a similar policy.

So even with no explicit late fee policy, the longer the disk is kept, the more money they make.

BTW, Netflix has a "hold" option where you don't actually cancel your account but they stop charging you. Of course you have to return all outstanding disks, before your current sub period expires, to avoid extra charges, but it is a nice option I haven't had to use yet. It preserves your disk que and all the advantages of being a senior subscriber. But there is no partial month refunds. So, to maximize value, you would want to hit that just before the next month's charge.

BTW if you do rentals, make sure the disk is clean before you put it in your delicate blu ray player. Dirty disks can muck up your blu ray player fast. I just blow off the debris and then use windex and a couple of clean rags and then blow it off again. I think that radial polish thing is A complete myth. Just make sure the disk is completely dry and clean before you put it in your drive.

Just to clarify that, I use clean canned air to blow off my disks (not my personal respiratory system) . You can buy it at Fry's and other brick and mortar retailers ;)

BTW, this might be off topic, but you can also train your cat with compressed air. I think its because it mimics a large snake :)

No kidding, though all I got to do is show my cat one of these compressed air cans, and she takes off and hides ... Smart cat. ;)

Last edited:
Even if there is no explicit late fee, the fact is, the fewer disks you return per month, the more you are paying for each disk rental. Theoretically, you could keep a disk for a year and end up paying around $100 dollars to rent that disk for that long. If you only rent a few a month, it's cheaper to go with the limited plans. If you cancel the plan, they give you 7 days to return the DVD's and if not returned within that tme, they charge your card for the retail value. That's the way Netflix's policy works, anyway. I would expect that BB has a similar policy.

So even with no explicit late fee policy, the longer the disk is kept, the more money they make.

That's why I want a local store option so I don't have to wait for the mail so if I can watch 2 movies on a weekend and occasionaly one during the week it's a good deal for me less than $1/movie I would guess way cheaper than buying them from ebay at arround $5/movie, I don't get to keep the movie though, I'm not a type of person that I got to watch the movie right after the release or buy it for $40. And the other thing is BB doesn't charge for blu-rays and they have the largest selection compared to Netflix, Here is C/P from Netflix policy about blu-ray rental:
•Blu-ray Access
We offer a limited number of titles in Blu-ray format. U.S. members on a DVD plan who wish to receive movies & TV shows in Blu-ray format must add Blu-ray access by clicking on "Add Blu-ray access" under the "Your Account" link. Blu-ray access is subject to an additional monthly fee which will be added to your applicable monthly membership fee and charged to your Payment Method. When you add Blu-ray access, the Blu-ray fee applies whether or not you receive a Blu-ray disc during your billing period and will continue to be charged each month along with your current monthly membership. The allocation, delivery and return of Blu-ray discs is governed by the "Allocation, Delivery and Return of Rented DVDs" above. By adding Blu-ray access, you authorize us to charge your Payment Method monthly for the Blu-ray fee plus applicable tax, in addition to your monthly membership. You may cancel Blu-ray access at any time, although there are no refunds or credits of the Blu-ray fee for partially used periods.

Last edited:
Dellsam, so what is your complaint again? Netflix has the largest selection of any service I have researched so far.

BTW, Netflix has an open agreement with all subscribers to terminate for any reason what so ever without cause. So I advise cordial interaction ;)

Last edited:
That's why I want a local store option so I don't have to wait for the mail so if I can watch 2 movies on a weekend and occasionaly one during the week it's a good deal for me less than $1/movie I would guess way cheaper than buying them from ebay at arround $5/movie, I don't get to keep the movie though, I'm not a type of person that I got to watch the movie right after the release or buy it for $40. And the other thing is BB doesn't charge for blu-rays and they have the largest selection compared to Netflix, Here is C/P from Netflix policy about blu-ray rental:

Really and if the store doesn't have it there you will have to wait til the delivery sends a copy to them also right?? So either way your waiting again mutt point. And $1/day you must like paying daily rentals up to $20-30-when they finally charge you past 30 rentals as buying the DVD for BD might cost even more if you past 30 day rental for a single dvd right? You must be their cash cow if you like doing that. And that is for One dvd not two that is $1/DVD and so on if you get my drift. You will be giving them money just to rent when a monthly subscription from Netflix is one a month for "unlimited rentals" per month not per day. That is Economics 101.....anyone can see whom really gets taken. If you rent alot $1/day you will loose out anytime over someone that get unlimited rentals for a monthly subscription. You debating is starting to seem more and more like TROLLING then adding any debatable substance to the question at hand and more like a BlockBuster representative trying to give false information to people looking to get the most bang for their bucks in movie rentals.

Those that rent alot or wants to see what's new in DVD/BD before buying a subscription plan is the most cost-effective way to go so they don't get nickel and dimed each day they have it out. If you want to pay $1/day/DVD/(more for BD)-(not a batch but a single media) or more depending on how many days you have dvd rented out or late to return the next business day at the same time you checked out and give them free money by all means do so but don't let others go off the cliff like you. That how they get those late charges you have to return them back in one day after watching and if you don't finish well tough luck you now owe us another $1/tax or more with BD. So you tell me how are you really beating them at their own games never they know enough to get you and unless you join subscription plan you never win when going single and late return will always loose in the end. No one can just in one day watch a DVD/BD to get the full benefit of it. I take as much as a week depending on my work schedule to watch my rentals and that is were a subscription plan works best for most if not a majority of us don't have that much free time spend let alone be at rest to watch a good movie.

Last edited:
I am current member and looking at my subscription goes from 1 disc to 8 disc out plan.

I'll only say, that for all your protestations to the contrary, you didn't provide the one thing that would be conclusive, a link to those available plans for me to sign up. I'll consider calling and asking but the way the website is set up the plans you suggest are available aren't offered to new subscribers, at least where I can find them. I'll repeat, please provide a link if these plans are available.

If, as you suggest, those options only appear to currently subscribed users makes no sense at all to me. I'm unlikely to sign up without knowing for sure.

Did you try this link from FurryGuy?: https://dvd.netflix.com/

As I have been a member of Netflix before, the trial is also not available to me (unless I use a different email address). That said when I follow through to restart my membership the only options are to add one at a time disc option only period. There are no options for other plans.

Dellsam, so what is your complaint again? Netflix has the largest selection of any service I have researched so far.

BTW, Netflix has an open agreement with all subscribers to terminate for any reason what so ever without cause. So I advise cordial interaction ;)

I think we have TROLL here and not someone that really wants to know something rather then push the $1/day per DVD/BD onto the rest cause they don't have any other options. Or they were a Netflix customer whom wasn't on good standing and probably got kicked out of Netflix subscription.

Did you even contact them and talk to customer service?

I called customer service for Netflix and they confirm what we are saying. The option for other plans is not on the initial sign up but, as you say, can be changed after you sign up. How stupid is that? I told them I might have signed up sooner if the information provided was clear about that. I'll probably switch back to Netflix in January after my current month is up with Blockbuster.

I called customer service for Netflix and they confirm what we are saying. The option for other plans is not on the initial sign up but, as you say, can be changed after you sign up. How stupid is that? I told them I might have signed up sooner if the information provided was clear about that. I'll probably switch back to Netflix in January after my current month is up with Blockbuster.

You can change after you signed up and some how you mentioned they didn't give that option? How do you mean intial sign up are you talking about after the trial is over or what? They keep you on that to be sure you are actually going to use their service not just get movies and then leave. I think they have a reason to be sure your going to be a customer for them. So how hard was that to just call them rather then debate on here? Wasn't that why they had a customer call service line for? So you can't just dump BB and go to Netflix? That is odd...unless you got stuck in a contract with BB you got nicked and dimed for and now you want back to Netflix after leaving because of the price hike. Not all member left you know some did stay begrudgingly like me but I just went for DVD rentals no streaming or BD currently until there is a larger selection but then again I use another inline rental that have my BD selection so I use two online rentals to get my DVD/BD and my local library to get my DVD as well at lot cheaper then buyin the DVD/BD but rental gives me time to decide what to buy and keep. So you do have options and no the other rental isn't BlockBuster but one that so far been reliable for BD movies that Netflix doesn't currently have on hand.

Last edited:

There are still a lot of titles however that it seems that only Blockbuster has and not Netflix. For example:

http://dvd.netflix.com/Search?oq=&ac_posn=&v1=outpost+black+sun

http://www.blockbuster.com/search/product/products?keyword=outpost+black+sun

There is a Blu-Ray of that title. Neither have it. So if you want to watch HD, if you can't find a local store that has it, your only option is to buy.

That's the trouble I guess... if you want access in the USA to the most titles you really need accounts at both Blockbuster and Netflix, and even then you might not be able to rent what you want.

Edit - Oh my gosh. I just discovered something NASTY. Netflix adds titles, like the one above, but doesn't show if they are available or not until AFTER you sign up. If you try to "browse selection" before signing up, they remove the search. If you try to search using Google (via site:netflix.com), you would think that they have the title, but don't realize until after your account is created that they actually do not have this title available, at all. (Not "all copies out," but "no copies ever received to rent out to members.") THAT is NASTY and DECEPTIVE. Gives you a good clue why their stock is doing so bad, with people running things making decisions like THIS.

Last edited:
I would agree, Netflix is corrupt and only concerned about getting your money and don't care how.

And BlockBuster is doing the same thing as well? duh...money is their bottom line how you couldn't see it coming...then everything in life is corrupt cause money runs the world......

Looks like Netflix parent companies are Verance and Sony:D

Care to show some Facts and independent links to prove otherwise???

Last edited:
There are still a lot of titles however that it seems that only Blockbuster has and not Netflix. For example:

http://dvd.netflix.com/Search?oq=&ac_posn=&v1=outpost+black+sun

http://www.blockbuster.com/search/product/products?keyword=outpost+black+sun

There is a Blu-Ray of that title. Neither have it. So if you want to watch HD, if you can't find a local store that has it, your only option is to buy.

That's the trouble I guess... if you want access in the USA to the most titles you really need accounts at both Blockbuster and Netflix, and even then you might not be able to rent what you want.

Edit - Oh my gosh. I just discovered something NASTY. Netflix adds titles, like the one above, but doesn't show if they are available or not until AFTER you sign up. If you try to "browse selection" before signing up, they remove the search. If you try to search using Google (via site:netflix.com), you would think that they have the title, but don't realize until after your account is created that they actually do not have this title available, at all. (Not "all copies out," but "no copies ever received to rent out to members.") THAT is NASTY and DECEPTIVE. Gives you a good clue why their stock is doing so bad, with people running things making decisions like THIS.

Maybe be because the request is so low that it's not worth for them to get it so it probably to low on their priority list to get that item. That's how business does business choice is a low priority item will be on the back burner while the one that will circulate and make money for them will be put out first. How you didn't know that is Business 101 sell those that will sell or rent first before putting out those that doesn't get much request for a later time. Why would they shoot themselves in the foot and not make money for their bottom line??? Just cause you want it doesn't mean they want it. They have more to think about then the way you think. That isn't why their stock is doing bad or not well...your comparing apple to oranges of two so irrelevant subjects of two different talking points.

Back