Best 4k Blu-ray Drive?

Discussion in 'CD/DVD/BD Drives' started by BlurayGuy, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Terramex

Terramex Well-Known Member

LG BH16NS40 - 1.00-1.02
    ASUS BC-12D2HT - 3.00

Just follow the link in my previous post.

testiles likes this.
  2. testiles

testiles Well-Known Member

3. BlurayGuy

BlurayGuy Member

Thank you, I much appreciate the information!

4. BlurayGuy

BlurayGuy Member

One more question, is there a way to tell what the firmware is on those drives prior to purchase? In other words, if I found one in a store is there anything on the packaging or label that would tell me what the version of the firmware is, or is it impossible to tell without actually hooking up the drive? I'm specifically asking with regard to the two models I mentioned in my previous post.

5. Terramex

Terramex Well-Known Member

Those drives are usually not sealed. Just open the packing and look at the MFD and/or Firmware version if present.
    Most LG models have the firmware printed on the sticker - not sure for ASUS.

6. BlurayGuy

BlurayGuy Member

Thanks. Well, I think I got one that does not need to be modded, should be here some time this week. I do have one question though, under Windows 10 do you have to worry about Windows auto updating the firmware without asking?

7. Windows can't update the firmware on the drive.

8. testiles

Congratulations BlurayGuy!

Which one did you get and what firmware does it come with?

T

9. BlurayGuy

BlurayGuy Member

Thanks. It was an LG WH16NS40 with SVC code:NS50 and firmware version 1.02.

10. testiles

Probably a rare find at this stage of the game.

Lucky guuuuuy! I'm happy for you.

So, welcome to the world of UHD ripping!

I've been doing it for a little while now, so if you have any question about the rips, let me know.

T

11. Aeneas72

Aeneas72 Well-Known Member

I am very much afraid that my Asus UHD-friendly drive (ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.02) has already passed away (on ripping UHDs using AnyDVD it produced various read errors) - so I'm looking for a new one that STILL IS UHD-friendly, i.e. not sold with a new FW rendering it unfriendly.

I think I have found somewhere on the web (but can't exactly remember where) that there is a sort of (inofficial) "company" which sells UHD drives being explicitely UHD-friendly.

Can anyone help me?

12. BlurayGuy

BlurayGuy Member

Thanks, I will.