• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Beauty and the Beast (French, 2014)

Marcial

I just bought the Blu-ray disc from Amazon. It doesn't play. Nor the TV screen gives me any message like "this disc cannot be played" as it did in other occasions. The TV screen stays black. The little screen on Blu-ray player says "PLAY" but the counter never appears on it, just the word "PLAY".

I ripped the disc to my PC with AnyDVD to remove any blocking foreign code, and burned a blank, 50 GB disc with ImgBurn, which I always use with excellent results. The copy did not play either and no message on the TV screen, which was black again.

I ripped the original disc again, this time changing the setting of AnyDVD to "Remove Blu-ray Region Code" and selected "Region B" because the disc seems to be Region B. I ripped the disc again to my PC and burned a second 50 GB disc. It did not play either.

What am I doing wrong?

Attached please find the scanned image of the bottom section on the back of the cover. All details are there.

Please let me know your opinions or solutions to this problem.

P.S. My Blu-ray player is a Panasonic model DMP-BDT 110, which I believe is for Region 1 and A. But that's why I have AnyDVD, for cases like this, movies coming from Europe.

Tino.jpg

Although anydvd will let you remove the region code, it will NOT change the video standard used. EU uses PAL, you need to use something like bdinfo to check if the title uses PAL, and if so, consult your manual to set if the player supports it. Most us players do not, and you'll have to convert the disc.

Play the rip itself in a player like powerdvd, does it work? If yes, then anydvd did it's job.

There literally was a topic about this mere days ago in here.

Yes, I was thinking of that. PAL might be the problem. I have been converting PAL to NTSC with IfoEdit but that's for regular DVDs, not Blu-rays. Too bad that this commercial disc does not indicate whether it is PAL or compatible, I think it's the former. Ok, I will try PowerDvd or another. Thanks a lot. I'll let you know.

Chevron, PowerDVD cannot play neither the copy nor the commercial Blu-ray. I tried other Blu-rays (not PAL) and other PAL DVDs (not Blu-ray) with PowerDVD and both worked. So it seems there is a problem with the disc I bought.

But this is the mistery, I converted the original commercial Blu-ray to a regular DVD with EarthSoft Bluray DVD Copy, and then it worked. How is that possible?

The convertor software just takes the main movie and re-encodes it in to standard def Mpeg2. I assume that the problem with the Blu-ray is down to some of the first play sections such as trailers and piracy warnings which the convertor software will ignore as you aren't converting those. You could try using CloneBD or BDRebuilder and telling it to make a Blu-ray 'Movie only' disc and see if that gives you the full HD version of just the movie

Yes, that's an idea. But I decided to buy a multi-region (A,B,C / 1-8) Sony player which is also PAL and NTSC compatible. That would be the last test. But this is the first time I encounter this type of problem, because my PC plays all kinds of discs: Blu-ray, DVD, PAL, NTSC, from any region. Even PowerDVD cannot play it. Like other software for playback, PowerDVD recognizes the title of the movie, but that's all, because it would never play, not even trying fast forward or any other key. The screen stays black, that's all.

In Amazon, where I bought this movie from, the customers feedback are not different from mine. Many people have similar problems with playing this commercial disc. Someone said that it's because of the region 2, and we are region 1. I can't believe that because AnyDVD eliminates that problem, but all copies I made ripping with AnyDVD still have this mysterious incompatibility.

If with the new player that would be delivered in 2 days, the disc still shows the same problem, I will return it to Amazon.

I would say it's more than likely that is terrible pressing's or the mastering was not done properly. And it makes the players choke on it. A good way to find this out would be to do what @Adbear advised to do. Which is to make a movie only of the Blu-ray disc with cloneBD or program of your choice . ISO or MKV would be fine and see if it still has issues in PDVD. Unless you have BD-RW there is no need to burn it. I myself would just do a ISO and then mount it. It will appear as a actual disc to your PC that way.

Just in case. This is a screen shot showing the AnyDVD's readings for the original Blu-ray disc. I clearly says at the end that AACS was removed and that this Blu-ray disc is region free. The word "PAL" is nowhere. Does it mean that is not PAL. I have seen endless discussions about PAL/NTSC having nothing to do with Blu-ray technology, whereas others say that yes, it could be Blu-Ray PAL.

Original bluray.jpg

No it doesn't, AnyDVD can't detect the video standard used (NTSC/PAL) or does it care. That's not what it is designed to do. You need to use something like BDInfo to detect if there's PAL content on the disc. It'll show up at the bottom as "Detected Features: 50Hz Content"

Chevron, this is what I am getting from BDInfo:

Attachments

• BD info scan.jpg
    BD info scan.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 10
@Marcial
This thread should help explain it to you better. Even if it's a multi region player it still may not be able play the PAL content:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=246917

Also,
you can do as adbear suggested and make a movie only rip with cloneBD or any other Blu-ray copy program. Because it's most likely that the PAL content is at the beginning of the load and play sequence. And that should play fine.

However,
If you will do as ch3vy suggested and use BDInfo to look at each mpls and it will tell you exactly what content is what standard (NTSC/PAL) may have to select view report. Then you could remove that and be ok then. We also had another user with the same issue as you most likely have {The PAL content would not play on a multi region player} in another thread here. There's also a BDInfo jpg there and that's the displayed info you need too.
https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/problem-dune-mini-series-blu-ray-from-europe.70800/

And this is the report on pdf format:

Attachments

• Report PDF.pdf
    139.6 KB · Views: 7
Nebostrangla:

You said "rip" with CloneBD. If I make a clone or "identical" copy with CloneBD would the PAL contents be removed? I am sorry, I am not familiar at all with CloneBD. With AnyDVD, the ripped files go to my hardware and then I burn it from there.

I am sorry guys for bothering you with so many questions. This is a totally new problem for me, although I have been using AnyDVD, 1Click DVD Copy, and ImgBurn for years.

CloneBD can remove specific clips yes, use 'partial copy' mode. The trick is you'll have to find out what the problematic clips are. I'd just start by removing ALL trailer crap. Changes are that might be enough to fix the problem.

And it's not a bother, that's what the forum exists for.

That is the thing you don't want an identical copy. You need to find and remove the PAL content.
Go through those threads I posted links to. As you need to find the page in BDInfo that shows the individual MPLS and what the standard is. Like is posted in the "Dune" thread. You also should look into the thread about the multiple region player.

There's some tutorials on here that shows you how to remove content using cloneBD here:
https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/how...rtisement-extras-to-bd-25-with-clonebd.70508/
And here:
https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/how...-bd-25-with-clonebd-menu-using-clonebd.70554/

And yes it is no problem. I had to learn about this at one time too.

Chevron, I did just that yesterday and deselected all those files that look irrelevant (bonus) but somehow I got an ISO product. Where do I go from there? :)

Nebostrangla, I am going to study all that (new to me) and proceed accordingly.

Thanks a million.

Then you must have selected iso as output. It's simple. You either mount the iso in a virtual drive application like 'virtual clone drive' (available for free on the download page) or simply drag the iso straight into powerdvd. It should start playing.

I did just that yesterday and deselected all those files that look irrelevant (bonus) but somehow I got an ISO product. Where do I go from there? :)
Just mount with VCD available here if you don't already have it:
https://www.redfox.bz/download/SetupVirtualCloneDrive.exe
You have to select the output you want. ISO, Folder, or to disc.
Actually ISO is the best way to go as it can be mounted in VCD and it appears to the system and software players as a actual disc in a drive. Some player and remastering/conversion programs handle them fine as well without mounting it first.

Well, I dragged the ISO copy into PowerDVD and, voila, I could finally watch the movie.

Nevertheless, I ordered a region free (A,B,C and 1-8), PAL and NTSC, Blu-ray player because I have other PAL movies (gift from friends and relatives in Europe) and I want to be able to watch them on my big screen. I'll try Beauty and the Beast first, if it doesn't work, then the disc is defective and I'll return it to Amazon.

I'll let you know.

Thanks to all.

Back