• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

bd+

Besides not having a BD Drive and or a HD Drive, plus and Video Card with a HDMI out, I am pretty much ready. Current system is:

CPU - e6600
EVGA Mobo 680i LT SLI
2 gigs of RAM that will have either 4 or 8 at a later time as well.
Running the NIVIDIA 8500 GT with 512 MB's RAM on the card

5.0 on the windows experiance at the moment.

Nice. :) Yea, I'm waiting until a video card with HDMI for both video and audio comes out, plus cable card support for recording HD in Vista, and a few other minor improvements before I rebuild my video machine. I figure by this time next year it should be a good time to drop a grand on a machine and get what I want.

Nice. :) Yea, I'm waiting until a video card with HDMI for both video and audio comes out, plus cable card support for recording HD in Vista, and a few other minor improvements before I rebuild my video machine. I figure by this time next year it should be a good time to drop a grand on a machine and get what I want.

ATI 2600 has sound over HDMI (not tested myself). What I did test, was HD content playback, and *this* was amazing: CPU load dropped down to 5% when playing decrypted files from harddisk (VC1 or H264 didn't matter). When playing encrypted files from HD DVD it was around 15% (yes, AACS is expensive to decrypt).
I can't wait for them to release an AGP version of this card, I believe you can use older PCs for HD DVD viewing with it.

ATI 2600 has sound over HDMI (not tested myself). What I did test, was HD content playback, and *this* was amazing: CPU load dropped down to 5% when playing decrypted files from harddisk (VC1 or H264 didn't matter). When playing encrypted files from HD DVD it was around 15% (yes, AACS is expensive to decrypt).
I can't wait for them to release an AGP version of this card, I believe you can use older PCs for HD DVD viewing with it.

WHAAA?! Holy snikes! That's incredible!! If they released an AGP version of that card I'd have to seriously consider picking one up. Can the HDMI connection do uncompressed sound? That would make it a near perfect card for what I want. I don't care about gaming performance although I suspect it'd be pretty darn good, but, HD playback performance is what I'm going for. That sounds like a great card for that.

You may find this to be an interesting read:
visit http://forum.ncix.com/forums/index....did=1383213&pagenumber=0&msgcount=0&subpage=1

Not exactly. It's similar to how macrovision is applied on DVD's. It's a flag that if present, the hardware turns on macrovision. The same concept is used for HDCP. If an AACS disc is present, your player (PS3, PowerDVD Ultra, Xbox 360 w/ HD DVD drive, whatever) turns on the HDCP "flag" (for lack of a better analogy I guess...we'll call it a flag). The player then has to verify the hardware being used for display is HDCP compliant. If it's not, it refuses to play the content. When a non-AACS encrypted disc is present, the HDCP compliance check can be skipped(and is in current players). That's why when AnyDVD HD removes the AACS encryption layer before the player "sees" the disc, the player doesn't require HDCP compliant hardware. I hope this clears it up a little.

It does clear some things a little, thanks. What makes little sense to me is skipping HDCP check even if a non-AACS disc is present in the player. It is my impression that having AACS (and therefore HDCP) would provide a double-layer of copy-protection. Yet, if AACS is not there, then HDCP takes a knock as well. Hmmm...

If discs with just HDCP will start to appear in retail (hypothetically), will AnyDVD HD will still be able to take care of them?

Thanks very much for your explanations on this matter :bowdown:

And the price of the 2600 isn't half bad. I might be able to swing that in the budget after the first of the year. Definitely not this year as my wife would most definitely shoot me. I've bought WAY too many toys this year. :D

If discs with just HDCP will start to appear in retail (hypothetically), will AnyDVD HD will still be able to take care of them?

Like I said, that's not a possible situation. There is no HDCP *ON* the disc. It's a mechanism employed by the player itself and right now it uses AACS to determine whether to turn it on or not. If AACS is there, HDCP is enabled. If AACS isn't there, HDCP isn't enabled. There are commercial discs out there in the wild that do not have AACS(HD DVD does not require it unlike BluRay...one of James' pet peeves against BluRay that I happen to agree with). Those discs do not require HDCP compliant hardware for playback because the lack of AACS means the player won't turn it on. IOW, HDCP is strictly a mechanism used by the player, NOT the disc.

Like I said, that's not a possible situation. There is no HDCP *ON* the disc. It's a mechanism employed by the player itself and right now it uses AACS to determine whether to turn it on or not. If AACS is there, HDCP is enabled. If AACS isn't there, HDCP isn't enabled. There are commercial discs out there in the wild that do not have AACS(HD DVD does not require it unlike BluRay...one of James' pet peeves against BluRay that I happen to agree with). Those discs do not require HDCP compliant hardware for playback because the lack of AACS means the player won't turn it on. IOW, HDCP is strictly a mechanism used by the player, NOT the disc.

Got it, thanks SamuriHL. Having read an article about AACS on Wikipedia, mentioning of "Audio watermarking" also came across my eyes. It would be nice to know if creators of AnyDVD HD are aware of it and what is a feasibility of "taking care" of such feature being included if/when it would start to appear on retail High-Def discs :)

Slight correction on your otherwise perfect explanation:
AACS does not "turn on" HDCP. HDCP is either "turned on" (HDCP card and HDCP monitor and they both like each other) or it isn't.
So, if you watch your Windows desktop on a HDCP capable card / monitor combo, your Windows desktop is transmitted to the display encrypted.
AACS playback requires either an encrypted connection (HDCP) or an "in-built" display device (Laptop display).
No AACS = plays on Unencrypted connection.

Slight correction on your otherwise perfect explanation:
AACS does not "turn on" HDCP. HDCP is either "turned on" (HDCP card and HDCP monitor and they both like each other) or it isn't.
So, if you watch your Windows desktop on a HDCP capable card / monitor combo, your Windows desktop is transmitted to the display encrypted.
AACS playback requires either an encrypted connection (HDCP) or an "in-built" display device (Laptop display).
No AACS = plays on Unencrypted connection.

Interesting, thanks for the correction. I still think HDCP is a stupid concept, but, I understand why they went after it. Vista makes this whole thing 100 times worse, but, I won't go there. :)

Got it, thanks SamuriHL. Having read an article about AACS on Wikipedia, mentioning of "Audio watermarking" also came across my eyes. It would be nice to know if creators of AnyDVD HD are aware of it and what is a feasibility of "taking care" of such feature being included if/when it would start to appear on retail High-Def discs :)

Creators of AnyDVD give a damn about it at the moment, because
1.) It is nothing more than a rumor
2.) No playback device has watermarking implemented
3.) AnyDVD HD is primarily designed for *playback* on your media center PC, where watermarking isn't an issue (or at least creator's of AnyDVD don't believe it will be).

So we sit back, enjoy ourselves, tell everybody to avoid Blu-ray and buy HD DVD instead, and are cracking BD+ and the newest DVD protections... ;)

Would it be too much of a pain to have anydvd hd to somewhat decrypt the HD or BD content but when you burn it is really still on the backup? I know this would be a bit defeating the purpose but if nothing is altered then all is well, or is this impossible?

So, let me correct my previous statements then. :)

-If you have HDCP hardware(video card and monitor), HDCP is ALWAYS on
-If an AACS encrypted movie is put into the drive, your player verifies that an HDCP connection is available and allows playback. Otherise if HDCP is not available, well, there's multiple things it CAN do but let's just for now say no playback.
-If a non-encrypted AACS movie is put into the drive, the player does not verify that an HDCP connection is available, however, if you have HDCP hardware the movie will still be HDCP encrypted for playback. If HDCP hardware is not available, it will still allow playback on the non-HDCP compliant hardware

There, that should do it. :) Thanks, James!

Would it be too much of a pain to have anydvd hd to somewhat decrypt the HD or BD content but when you burn it is really still on the backup? I know this would be a bit defeating the purpose but if nothing is altered then all is well, or is this impossible?
Sorry, I don't follow... what exactly should be on the backup?

Ewww, no. :)

Sorry, I don't follow... what exactly should be on the backup?

Everything including the encryption is where I was getting at so the backup is an exact clone of the original. In theory I don't think it is possible though.

Back