• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

BD/HD DVD ISO Image Creation

My purpose is to feed these files to a WDTV Live Hub from a Patriot Javelin media server in order to view in my HT......So mkv's should fit the bill nicely....:D

Excellent. Good luck!

Sounds like you got this sorted out but I wanted to chime in on the protected backup vs unprotected backup advice. If you are burning...you *MUST ALWAYS* unprotect the backup. Otherwise your backup will be useless. Now, if you are simply making a library of ISO's, IMO, it's better to make protected ISO's so that you can change the options in AnyDVD on the fly. Meaning, let's say you remove region protection and later they find a bug or something...if you rip with those options set, your ISO is permanently set with whatever options you select at the time of ripping when making an unprotected image. That's fine in most cases, but, I like to treat my ISO backups like I do the original, meaning being able to flip the options in AnyDVD on and off in realtime without affecting my ISO. I hope that makes sense.

Wanna revisit this one more time. I've changed my strategy, since I have an Oppo 93. Instead of ripping ISO to disc, then burning a BD-R DL, Im just going to rip the ISO straight to my external hard drive, which is connected via esata cable to the Oppo. Does it matter if I leave protection enabled?

If you leave protection enabled, you will only be able to play the ISO while anydvdhd is running.

If you leave protection enabled, you will only be able to play the ISO while anydvdhd is running.

Ah, thanks! Thats kinda what I was thinking but wanted to make sure.
I love this process, I just hook my laptop up to the EHD, hook up my blu-ray drive, and then 40 mintues later my ISO is on the EHD, very cool.

Right if you want to play it on a device without AnyDVD running, you MUST remove the protection.

Think about it... how would the protection be "protection" if you could just copy the disc without a product like AnyDVD? ;)

Of course it won't play a protected image. The only time a protected image is usable at all is with anydvd running to deprotect it on the fly. Iso images do not contain enough information to decrypt the streams. They physically can't... There is no place within the iso to store it. Hence why the protection is successful.

That being said, I'm going to repeat what I've always said on the protected image philosophy... If you are *only* using the image on an htpc, protected images make sense because you can have anydvd running. If you ever want to use the image outside of an htpc for any reason, do *not* create a protected image and instead remove the protection. Following this philosophy will save you a lot of headaches down the road.

The only caveat to my advice is if you understand that mounting a protected image with anydvd active allows you to then make a new unprotected image from the mounted drive and/or burn a disc from the mounted drive. But I would argue that if you're going to do that, just unprotect the image in the first place to save yourself time and effort.

Haha, no, that's not how it works at all. The aacs decryption process is fairly complex. It uses various pieces to ultimately decrypt the title key used to decrypt the actual content. Anydvd contains those title keys which is why protected images work but also why someone somewhere must scan the original at some point before it does. It's been a while since I last thought about the chain of events to decrypt a disc and I'm only half awake right now, but suffice it to say that the drive itself plays a part in the decryption process. If you want to know exactly what the chain of events is I can look it up in a bit, but, an iso is not sufficient to perform the entire decryption process.

Will your Oppo handle a BD iso over DLNA? I.E. shared network connection?

No it doesn't it can handle MKVs and M2TS though, which is abit pointless as you have to remux. Hopefully sometime in the future the firmware will be upgraded to handle Windows file shares through NFS or SMB and then unprotected ISOs can be handled over the network.

It certainly is the safest way to go. Once anydvd contains the title key, the rest of that process is pointless. The whole complex mess results in the title key that's used to decrypt the content. The volume id is the part of that process that can't be done with an iso. It uses a cryptographic signature on the drive to retrieve the vid. Anyway, yea, I thought you might like to know the details as to why the protection is both highly successful and weak at the same time. Once the title key is known, then the protection can always be removed and hence is the weakest link in the chain.

While I know HTPC's are cool, Ive looked into it, and Ill take the Oppo/TiVo/Dish HDVDR :)

I have a TiVo and will hopefully get another one (the quad tuner monster elite) for Xmas. I record my shows on it, use TiVo desktop to pull them to my htpc, whack commercials with videoredo, and watch them in MC17. The htpc makes all that possible. ;)

You don't. You do what I do and get an hdpvr from Hauppauge and record through the component analog output. Full hd quality and none of the hassle. That's how I record my hbo shows, for example. Everything non-protected I just xfer with TiVo desktop.

Excellent! Thanks very much for that, SamuriHL ;)

But the obvious follow up is the "exact copy" issue... people will always ask about that ;)

Then they better get to work on breaking HDCP and putting it in silicon. :) Cause you aren't recording HDMI output of any of these devices unless you do that. Period.

BTW, I am still using BD Clown to delete trailers. Last I heard the new AnyDVD option doesnt work for removing blu-ray trailers and may ruin the burn.

Ah, kids these days. :D Have we taught you all nothing? How many times do James and Peer and the rest of us have to give the message of "test your options on the fly before ripping...AnyDVD was made to work on the fly on the original disc. No need to rip first. Check your work!" :D This means, set the options in AnyDVD, open up your favorite commercial software player, and SEE if it works before you burn anything. I promise you this will save you time. The option to remove trailers has been vastly improved and should work for most if not all titles now. Try it...in realtime! :D

I've simply been around a long time that's all. :) When you do these things a lot, then you start to pick up on tricks and tips that help. I simply pass them along when I learn. The protected ISO thing bit a lot of people in the *** back when BD+ was first evolving. People were removing the AACS protection before the BD+ could be removed thinking that they'd just run their ISO through AnyDVD again and they'd be fine. But BD+ evolved to only work if AACS was in tact. I had been doing protected ISOs since the beginning of my ripping days because I started out ripping on a PS3 to an external drive and then copying the image over to my HTPC. A bunch of us were doing that back then and it seemed to work. Once I got a PC drive I decided I wanted to continue doing things that way. James was awesome enough to add the Keep protection checkbox and the rest is history. Those that had removed the AACS from those BD+ titles had to rerip them. Those of us who kept the protection didn't. But it's all a matter of how you consume the image. If you're going to be playing them on non-HTPC environments or burning them, protection must be removed. Personally I do all my backups as MKV's now so the protection has to be removed for me, as well. But when I did ISOs, if it was BD+ I'd always keep the protection.

As for the stratocaster, can't help you there. ;)

I have a TiVo and will hopefully get another one (the quad tuner monster elite) for Xmas. I record my shows on it, use TiVo desktop to pull them to my htpc, whack commercials with videoredo, and watch them in MC17. The htpc makes all that possible. ;)

Haha, too much work for me. I record everything, so i got the Premier XL for OTA, and use the Dish HDDVr with a 1TB EHD for all my cable stuff. problem is, Im like 60 hours behind already on both :)

The man who has everything :). Let me know how long your Oppo works, but from the public reviews it's pretty good so far ;)

I was always skeptical about Oppo pricing, but it's a nice player with flexibility. If you only wanna watch blu, yes it's overpriced. This ISO playback is great for me now, I love it, and it makes me glad I got the 93. Someone recently posted that Oppo fixed their 2 or 3 year old 83 for free, can't beat that. Customer service does really matter, and it's been great with Oppo (I owned a prerelease 93 last year), Def Tech and HSU.

Just to clarify, I don't trust AnyDVDHD's initial attempt to remove ads.

ClownBD does that and it does work but it's a manual endeavour not meant for the 'feint of heart'. But so far AnyDVDHD's auto mode doesnt work reliably. Hopefully this will be fixed before the next official release and I do respect this is only with the beta version so far to loyal subs :) i.e. beta evaluation mode.

If you find titles that it doesn't work reliably on, please make sure to report them with a log so that SlySoft can work on fixing it. That's the only way it'll improve.

Back