• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

BD 50GB

@njweb Instead of the plier you can push a little screwdriver thru the hole an pull the starp in the wished position. (I did that with the first strap and cut my finger :rolleyes:)
So be careful - It is quiet sharp ;)

@njweb Instead of the plier you can push a little screwdriver thru the hole an pull the starp in the wished position. (I did that with the first strap and cut my finger :rolleyes:)
So be careful - It is qiuet sharp ;)

Thanks a lot for the tips and warning!
I'll try it out when I get it today and revert with the outcome.

No problem kufo. I understand a good deal of German and I speak several other languages too... :)

I received the drive 6 hours ago, but was too busy to get to it.
I opened the box and checked the length. I am going to work on bending the tabs shortly.
Will report back with photos of the end result.

No problem kufo. I understand a good deal of German and I speak several other languages too... :)

I received the drive 6 hours ago, but was too busy to get to it.
I opened the box and checked the length. I am going to work on bending the tabs shortly.
Will report back with photos of the end result.
I liked his "Fingerspitzengefuehl" before he changed it and told him that this loan word also exists in English. May the force and the Fingerspitzengefuehl be with you :)

Can´t wait for it. I keep my fingers crossed for you.

All done.
I had to bend the tabs far and also the rubber spacers under the screws started to spread (rubber seemed like it was almost breaking) as I tightened the screws fully. So I loosened the screws, then tried to push the tabs a bit deeper (closer) to the drive and retightened the screws - the metal tabs had spread outwards a bit when I bent them forward to align with the screws...

I think it will not slide and is solid. And it looks GREAT!
Photos coming soon.

I liked his "Fingerspitzengefuehl" before he changed it and told him that this loan word also exists in English. May the force and the Fingerspitzengefuehl be with you :)

Thanks! :)
Photos posted above.

I think it will not slide and is solid. And it looks GREAT!
I haven`t promised you too much with this enclosure. Now you can start your tests with the drive.
I´m really looking forward how this will be for you.

UPDATE:

BURNER

Even though I got good results with the Philips discs (7 out of 7 burns successful - burned 5@6X and 2@ 4X) and LG BU40N burner (see test results in the above screenshot), for hopefully better disc longevity, per the recommendations by kufo / Coopervid, I ordered a Pioneer BDR-212 burner (since the 206 and 208 are no longer manufactured - supported).
Hopefully I will not be disappointed and will actually see a benefit out of the new burner (since my BU40N has been burning well).

The BDR-212 arrives Wednesday along with the USB 3.0 enclosure (was going to get OWC Mercury Pro enclosure, but Pioneer burners are too long for that enclosure).

View attachment 55594
Vantec NST-536S3-BK NexStar DX USB 3.0 External Enclosure for SATA Blu-Ray/CD/DVD Drive All Black
Buy it again
View attachment 55595
Pioneer Electronics BDR-212DBK 16x Internal BD/DVD/CD Writer Supports Blu-Ray & M-Disc Format, Drive-RW/DVD-RW Only
Buy it again

50GB DISCS

Regarding the Verbatim BD-R from Japan:
Based on reviews of 2 people who tried both the 4X which Coopervid / Kufo linked to / used and the newer 6X versions of the Verbatim Japan discs Michael posted, it seems the new 6X ones have issues for a number of people, whereas the 4X version are far better for the same people...
That might explain why some reviews are bad online. So I may actually try the 4X ones...
Wish they came in smaller packs so I could test them first.

View attachment 55596
Qty:Qty: 1

$119.88

View attachment 55597
Qty:Qty: 1
$117.00

Hello,

I think reading forums and peoples opinions, its all about the burn speed. The slower the speed the better the results.

Michael.

I think 2x is required min speed for most blanks. For UHD backup on BD 50 2x burning speed made perfect results.

I haven`t promised you too much with this enclosure. Now you can start your tests with the drive.
I´m really looking forward how this will be for you.

Thanks for the wishes in your other post.
I will hopefully have some time later today to use it. :)

The drive also not work with Opti Control quality test at least not with BD-R DL discs - 'disc label cannot be read'.
The drive reads the disc structure and accesses and plays the content perfectly, just like my other drive, so it is the software.
VSO Inspector should work with the Pioneer, like it did with my LG, but it does not have the same metrics and graphs that Nero and Opti Drive Control have.

Have to run soon, but will be back later...

I think 2x is required min speed for most blanks. For UHD backup on BD 50 2x burning speed made perfect results.

So 4X did not work well?
I actually burned at 6X on the Philips 50GB discs and they all work great in my home UHD Blu Ray player (Sony UBP-X800M2). I just do not know the long term quality / longevity, which is why, based on your feedback captured in Coopervid's post and your confirmation here, I decided to get the Pioneer burner for burning (will keep LG for ripping) and the 4X version of the Verbatim Japan discs.

Will report back later.

Only thing missing now is to be able to run some quality tests with graphs and jitter and other metrics in % terms like the details shared by Opti / Nero after running tests.

>> Now I just need to find some DETAILED disc quality testing software compatible with my drives. << Otherwise I will never know if the Pioneer + Verbatim Japan 4X discs combo burns better than the LG BU40N + Philips 6X disc combo, since the Philips discs play fine and VSO Inspector was 100% green / good on the 'surface scan' with the Philips (burned at 4X that particular disc; did not test Philips which were burned at 6X)....

I also have an old Asus BD-R UBS 3.0 burner in case that works, for the testing only I mean.
Will be back later.

So 4X did not work well?
I was not exactly enough: Some discs have a min write speed of 2x so you can´t burn with less than 2x. Burning a normal BD ISO to BD 50 could work with 4x or 6x burning. I never had problems here. My advice for burning 2x is was meant for UHD burning because of the problems with the layer break here.
@coopervid explained that before. BD has 23,3 GB each layer and UHD 33 GB per layer. Because of this you have the layer break at 23,3 during burning and the layer break of the disc at 33. So here you have 2 possible sources of error for interruptions in the film during playback.
My problem was a stuttering during playback in the middle of the film caused by high burn speed. Since I reduced to 2x everything was fine. Normal BD 50 burned 6x played fine for me. I tested several brands but for UHD backup I really recomand this:

716zdf-arol-_ac_aa180_-jpg.55596

Several spindels whithout fails. Current media code is:MEI-T02-001
I decided to get the Pioneer burner for burning
That´s exactly what I would do (y)
Only thing missing now is to be able to run some quality tests with graphs and jitter and other metrics in % terms like the details shared by Opti / Nero after running tests.
Please contact @coopervid in this point. He has quiet more experience in this testing programms I think. My experience is more in the area burning itself and the diffrent brands of blanks with theyr own properties.
It will not be honest if I tell you somthing that I don´t know for sure.

Last edited:
Back