• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

BD 50GB

In the first picture you can see the the front panel of the drive standing in front of the enclosure. If you need some more detailed pictiures I can take them for you. I'll be back at home in a few hours.

Thanks a lot! Unfortunately the pictures are NOT working - the links are broken, so nothing is visible...

PS: While waiting for photos, I found more reviews, including this 2nd one for BDR-212 specifically (like the other one I posted yesterday):

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...SD2z7OKCLspcHa5QeTRCwxQSEWY-29O8aAoatEALw_wcB

They must have changed something then or be selling a different one outside the US:
sturdy & well built
ByPermel
Verified Buyer
Bought this for the bdr drive I bought, its easy to install, plug & screw only. Sadly its not compatible with the pioneer bdr 212, its short by 5mm why the drive length is 180mm. So instead I used my old liteon bdr which is only 170mm, now it fits with a minimal gap. Needs to be turn on before the starting the pc so that it can be recognize by windows 10. Quality product well built aluminum. Recommended buy instead those can be found on other site.

Can't wait to see the photos! Do you know the exact model # of yours.
Thanks again for the help!

Thanks a lot! Unfortunately the pictures are NOT working - the links are broken, so nothing is visible...
Sorry for that @njweb :oops: I was posting coppies with my phone but unfortunately made the pics as png files.
Here are the three pictures als jpg. You should be able to open this now. (y) You can see how good the drive fits and you can also see the exactly type label.
I send you a pm to see what I wrote to Swiso.
I took two more pics to show how easy the brackets besides can be made to fit and to see the drive in it´s final fosition fixed.
I purchased my enclosure from amazon.de: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B06XRCCV44/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Here you can find the name and the dimension of the enclosure.
The drive itself I got from here: https://www.pollin.de/p/blu-ray-bre...ls.de&channelid=psm&campaign=PVGL/geizhals.de
In product info you can compare the dimension of this and the one from your link.
In picture 3 you can see that the cover of the drive ist a bit bigger than the slot of the enclosure.
I hope this will will help you in your decisson.

Bild_1.jpg Bild_2.jpg Bild_3.jpg Bild_4.jpg Bild_5.jpg

Sorry for that @njweb :oops: I was posting coppies with my phone but unfortunately made the pics as png files.
Here are the three pictures als jpg. You should be able to open this now. (y) You can see how good the drive fits and you can also see the exactly type label.
I send you a pm to see what I wrote to Swiso.
I took two more pics to show how easy the brackets besides can be made to fit and to see the drive in it´s final fosition fixed.
I purchased my enclosure from amazon.de: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B06XRCCV44/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Here you can find the name and the dimension of the enclosure.
The drive itself I got from here: https://www.pollin.de/p/blu-ray-bre...ls.de&channelid=psm&campaign=PVGL/geizhals.de
In product info you can compare the dimension of this and the one from your link.
In picture 3 you can see that the cover of the drive ist a bit bigger than the slot of the enclosure.
I hope this will will help you in your decisson.

View attachment 55645 View attachment 55646 View attachment 55647 View attachment 55648 View attachment 55649

Thanks again kufo! I replied in the PM already to thank you! :)
This really helps, including the photo of the bracket bending to get the screw holes to line up...

Amazon is out of stock for 9 or 10 more days, so I just ordered one now from a big seller; they have a restocking fee but given the reviews and your helpful photos, I am confident that I will like it more than my Vantec; the seller is nearby so I can receive it by mid morning on Friday already... I will just need to return the Vantec to Amazon; it arrives today along with the BDR-212K...

While I wait for the OWC, I hope I can still get my burner working with my existing SATA to USB adapter in the meantime; some say it does not work for burners, some say it does...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MYU0EAU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

While I wait for the OWC, I hope I can still get my burner working with my existing SATA to USB adapter in the meantime
When I tested this with mine, Windows 10 made no letter for this drive. I habd to make this manualy :( AnyDVD was able to find the drive without reating a letter for the drive!
some say it does not work for burners
I think in this case there was no letter created for their burner. I am one of them who got the burner working. :D

Maybe the fault of the adapter....Mine is a 3A one. I am no expert in electronic :unsure:

Good luck for your procect (y)

Maybe the fault of the adapter....Mine is a 3A one. I am no expert in electronic :unsure:

Good luck for your procect (y)

Thanks! Project indeed.

The BDR-212 should be arriving soon (next hour or two); think I will leave the Vantec box closed (wait patiently for the OWC) and return the Vantec via UPS this evening if possible.
My SATA adapter is "only "2A". I bought it for hooking up some of my old internal SATA HDDs to my laptop (no longer have a desktop); works great.

Does the BDR-212 work with Opti Drive Control or Nero CD / DVD Speed?
The other tool which works with my LG BU40N does not have the disc quality graphs for comparison; it just returned 100% Good sectors on surface scan. Did not try the other option - 'read test' - yet.

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE HELP.

DVDInfoPro and KProbe give more detailed results but only work with ancient drives and DVDs.

DVDInfoPro and KProbe give more detailed results but only work with ancient drives and DVDs.

Thanks!

The other day I tried Opti Drive Control (v. 1.80) and it did not work with my LG BU40N; I just tried again with the same result - "cannot read disc label".
This same disc (50 GB BD-R DL) works fine in my home BD player. Let me check with another disc to be sure...

Argh!
My BDR-212 just arrived but it came loose inside a big shipping box (with the Vantec as well), but the BDR-212 which was NOT in its own box; it just had one very THIN layer of bubble wrap (not the thick kind). Not the kind of experience I expect from Amazon.

Anyone know of BDR-212 sellers who pack them properly with more bubble wrap and / or properly protected in a separate box within a box?
I may return it since it must have been getting knocked around a lot during shipping and optical drives are more fragile than 100% solid state devices. :(

Not easy to see in the photo, but the Pioneer is loose in the larger shipping box wrapped in ONE layer of ULTRA THIN bubble wrap. :(
There were some bubble pockets thrown in (not in photo), but that was not wrapped around the BDR-212 which would have made much more sense...

Who ships this way? They could have simply used thick bubble wrap or 3 layers instead of 1 since it is so thin. Cheap solution to save 20 - 25 cents.
Usually Amazon is pretty good, but sometimes not, including this time.

BDR-212 single layer of THIN bubble wrap - loose in box.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think this to be an issue. Optical drives are not super-sensitive. I would accept it if it proves to work.

I don't think this to be an issue. Optical drives are not super-sensitive. I would accept it if it proves to work.

Thanks! I just got back from returning the Pioneer (along with the Vantec) - see my note about lack of BDXL support in the US version of the BDR-212 (which is another part of the reason for returning it).
I know this is not likely perhaps, but not knowing how hard the shipping box was thrown around, my concern is that the drive could technically "work" (partially / fully) now but have hidden internal damage (even if unlikely) and / or not perform up to standards if some component shifted internally. If it fails after the 30 day return period ends or right after the warranty expires, I am out of luck.
Not having had this drive before, if a burn fails, I would not know if it is due to bad media OR due to the burner not supporting the media period OR due the burner being partially 'damaged' by the impact. I will always be wondering... :)
Perhaps not likely, but they also tossed it on my porch (heard the sound of it being dropped / thrown), which would not even be any concern if it were well padded.

Anyway, I think everything happens for a reason since I noticed now that the retail BDR-2212 (which comes with Cyberlink software) supports 100GB BDXL media, whereas the BDR-212-DBK * sold in the US supports only up to 50GB BD-R DL. When I ordered I thought only the software inclusion was the difference between the 212 and 2212 since I read that somewhere (cdrlabs.com I think).
* The EU EBK version of the BDR-212, supports BDXL, which is what cufo has I guess.

My order was fulfilled by Amazon but for a 3rd party - Vantec and Pioneer came in one box, even though from 2 different 3rd party sellers, since they were shipped / fulfilled by Amazon...
Since other sellers charge more for the BDR-212 and I cannot guarantee that if I order thru Amazon again, I am going to decide whether or not to get the the BDR-2212 ($33 more) for something more future-proof with 100GB disc support, I might then also end up with a drive closer to what cufo is using (I see in his photos it says 'BDXL' on the tray) and obviously different regions' Pioneer drives with very similar model #s (US BDR-212DBK vs EU BDR-212EBK) have some significant differences (BDXL support).

tldr (too long didn't read) version why I returned it - Aside from any potential (even if unlikely) internal drive damage concerns, I would like BDXL support ideally, so I returned the BDR-212 and, if I do not try the BDR-212, I will most likely get the BDR-2212 instead (have a few more hours before shipping cutoff to receive it this Friday - same delivery day as OWC enclosure)...

My OWC Mercury Pro enclosure was delivered today several hours ago; ahead of schedule (ordered just yesterday)!
Looks nice! Very solid enclosure.
@kufo - Guess you just used some pliers(?) to carefully bend the metal posts slightly (show in photos) so that the screw holes in the enclosure align with the Pioneer drive screw holes?

My 20 pack of Japan Verbatim 4X BD-R DL discs was also delivered today.

My Pioneer BDR-2212 burner arrives tomorrow.

Last edited:
Guess you just used some pliers(?) to carefully bend the metal posts slightly (show in photos) so that the screw holes in the enclosure align with the Pioneer drive screw holes?
Yes, I did so. You can can make the screws fit easyly this way. (y)

Back