• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

BD 50GB

@jack miller if you are in the US: Can you send a burned M-disc to @njweb to run a scan to check the quality of the M-discs. Would be very helpful to see if these discs are really the holy grail of burning BD50s.
Thanks!
They are, I tested some of my 100 gb and 50 gb discs and the checksums matched with the original files on my hard drives, so the layer break didn't effect me at all with my verbatim Blu ray m discs and lg wh14ns40 and wh16ns40. I don't know about any optical media testing software, testing the checksums seemed like the easiest way to verify file integrity to me. And I didn't just verify one file on the disc, I made sure to verify all files on every disc I tested and all the checksums matched on the discs I tested. And i only tested checksums on the discs I burned that had a few very large files, beacuase getting the checksum of hundreds of small files would have been extremely time consuming. And all the discs I burned/tested were udf and for archive storage.

Oh and I lost my account info, and couldn't log into because I was locked out from too mang attempts so I just made a new one.

Last edited:
You should see that it is depending on what you burn. The point with layer break is not so important with a cloned BD-DL, because the layers are equal here.
The size of the layer from your original source is the intresting thing.
On BD-DL the layer is 23,3 GB and the layer of a BD 66 or bigger, from a manufactured UHD disc is 33 GB. Reading and writing here makes the most issues creating a backup on disc.
@coopervid did a lot of testing with already burnt discs and posted many graphics that show this problem in detail (see #181) .This is a fact and was shown many times.
Burning UHD to disc with an Asus/LG never made good results for me even with the best brand /media code.
Burning with Asus /LG made stuttering in playback from UHD disc in my stand alone player in about 90%.
Note: I'm talking about UHD backups - No BD-DL clone or simple added clips on a data disc.

Last edited:
You should see that it is depending on what you burn. The point with layer break is not so important with a cloned BD-DL, because the layers are equal here.
The size of the layer from your original source is the intresting thing.
On BD-DL the layer is 23,3 GB and the layer of a BD 66 or bigger, from a manufactured UHD disc is 33 GB. Reading and writing here makes the most issues creating a backup on disc.
@coopervid did a lot of testing with already burnt discs and posted many graphics that show this problem in detail (see #181) .This is a fact and was shown many times.
Burning UHD to disc with an Asus/LG never made good results for me even with the best brand /media code.
Burning with Asus /LG made stuttering in playback from UHD disc in my stand alone player in about 90%.
Note: I'm talking about UHD backups - No BD-DL clone or simple added clips on a data disc.
Did the LG burners cause corrupted data at the layer break? I assure you if all the checksums matched on my discs I tested there could not have been corrupted data. Or are you saying it's more of a problem for burning movie discs readable by BD players, and data discs(the discs I made) are not effected by this? Ive never burned a movie disc in my life, the only discs I've burned besides data discs are bootable discs.

Please don't get me wrong here. I asumed that you also wanted to backup discs.
For your purpose it's near by equal wich burner you use. Data files are much smaller and easier to handle as media files. You might be good with this if you only read and write data files. I though of further ideas for different use.
LG or Ausus are only good for reading in my purpose.
I'm so sure in this how man can be. Pioneer for burning and Asus / LG for reading.
I:m talking about burning UHD films to BD-DL for backup purpose.

For data files the layer break doesn't matter.
I'm really only talking about this.

Please don't get me wrong here. I asumed that you also wanted to backup discs.
For your purpose it's near by equal wich burner you use. Data files are much smaller and easier to handle as media files. You might be good with this if you only read and write data files. I though of further ideas for different use.
LG or Ausus are only good for reading in my purpose.
I'm so sure in this how man can be. Pioneer for burning and Asus / LG for reading.
I:m talking about burning UHD films to BD-DL for backup purpose.

For data files the layer break doesn't matter.
I'm really only talking about this.
could you burn the UHD Blu ray rip in udf as a "data disc" and just play the movie with vlc media player on a computer, that's what I do, I have MP4/hvec files on some of my discs but they arnt playable in a Blu ray player that connects to a tv, I use vlc for everything. I don't burn movies the way you do so I can put them in a player and play them like a store bought blu ray. but some of the files on my data discs are very large, well over 10 gbs for some files, they are compressed files that contain lots of smaller files. I have games that take up entire dual layer discs that match checksum with copy on my hard drive. Does the layer break problem you experience cause corruption in the data? I'ma. But confused? If you burn the BD then take the data off the BD and compare with original copy will they have a different checksum? Backing up movies as data files in the udf file system might solve your problem, and you will still be able to watch them from the disc on a computer with vlc media player. I don't really watch movies using my discs tho, I just use them as backups and some if my backups on my blu rays are movies, I watch them on my hard drives with vlc and the Blu rays are purely backups for data I access from hard drives.

Last edited:
I do not play my discs in a PC optical drive. If I would do so, why should I burn to disc?
My backups are shrinked to fit on BD-DL. If a file is interuped by the layer break you will get a drop out at this point with your LG created disc. This is near by sure.
There is also no need for me to do further testing here. I finished with this because I found out the perfect components for my purpose. I did this together with @coopervid and he will confirm my results in this. We wrote about this here many times and other users confirmed this too. If you use forum search here you will see what I mean.
Please look here: https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/bd-50gb.80418/

Last edited:
I do not play my discs in a PC optical drive. If I would do so, why should I burn to disc?
My backups are shrinked to fit on BD-DL. If a file is interuped by the layer break you will get a drop out at this point with your LG created disc. This is near by sure.
There is also no need for me to do further testing here. I finished with this because I found out the perfect components for my purpose. I did this together with @coopervid and he will confirm my results in this. We wrote about this here many times and other users confirmed this too. If you use forum search here you will see what I mean.
Please look here: https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/bd-50gb.80418/
Ok, just out if curiosity, did the layer break problem actually corrupt the data you burned or was it something else that caused playback problems for you? I only tested my discs after reading this discussion beacuase I was worried about corruption issues but I ended up being fine.

Last edited:
It's a mix between layer break, wrong burner and bad blanks that makes bad results for me on my stand alone.
Did you see the posts I linked above? All important things are said in it.
Please take a look at this and you will see all your further questions answered here, I bet. If not we can surely solve this here.

It's a mix between layer break, wrong burner and bad blanks that makes bad results for me on my stand alone.
Did you see the posts I linked above? All important things are said in it.
Please take a look at this and you will see all your further questions answered here, I bet. If not we can surely solve this here.
So it seems you can't make it not burn at the outer edge of a layer like with DVDs, and that's were the problems occur, but why does this occur with burning movies and not with udf data discs, how does the file system used effect the burn?

Even DVD DL hab this problem . If you ever burnt a DVD DL at home you should know this. In case of DVD DL the burnig programm ask you were to set the optimal point of the layer break. Sometimes you can chose between 3 diffrent points here.
For BD DL thee is no such in information. You are refering about data disc in your previous post. Are you worried about your data discs or will you save films on BD DL in a special kind (movie only, MKV, full backup shrinked and so on)
Only asking will bring no progress here. I recommend you to read here about burning BD /BD-DL and then we can help you with upcoming questions. How about this?

Last edited:
BDR-212 Verbatim Hard Coat 6x - VERBATIMf MID burned at 2x.png
Results are for Verbatim 6X Hard Coat discs burned at 2X

I got the license for Opti Drive Control since it expired since I last used it a few months ago (there was a sale for 80% off, so got it for only $5).

I ran a 'Disc Quality Scan' on a disc from the 20 pack of Verbatim Japan 4X Printable 50GB discs from Amazon, burned at 2X.
Results of the 'Verbatim JP 4X' discs, burned at 2X, were even slightly better than the above results for the Verbatim Hard Coat glossy 10 pack 6X disc, also burned at 2X (also from Amazon).
Unfortunately the ODC results for the latter got lost when I ejected the disc (have barely used it - did about 4 scans total so far). Had I known, I would have taken a screenshot and saved it.

Attaching the Hard Coat results burned at 2X) again (from last time).
(PS: The 4X Verbatim JP discs 20 pack are also Hard Coat, but I am using Hard Coat to designate the Blue 6X Verbatim cardboard 10 pack).

Does the ODC quality scan test place undue wear / stress on the BD-R drive (relatively speaking)? Although I bought the LiteOn BD-R drive mainly for that purpose anyway, IF the tests DO place SIGNIFICANT stress / wear (relatively speaking of course), THEN I would prefer to not retest the same disc (in any case I know the ODC results were slightly better than the blue package Hard Coat discs, even if I did not get a screenshot) and would then rather test a disc from a new batch of Verbatim Japan 4X 20 pack (which I will be getting this weekend - I finished burning all 20 discs from my first pack).

Side note - Getting them from the same 3rd party seller as last time. Another 3rd party seller is cheaper, but since I had no coasters, I prefer not to try another seller since they sell tons of items, not just media, and the reviews for the sellers typically mention other items (not BD-Rs), so the seller rating is only a partial indicator of how well it might go. I did find just one review which called out my seller by name, which was negative, but they might have had back luck or have a bad burner) and I had 20 good burns out of 20 with my Pioneer BDR-212 (burned at 2X as per recommendations in this thread).

Discs mentioned:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CJ9KYC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056DURHW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3UWLBPW51FB0O&psc=1

Last edited:
which was negative, but they might have had back luck or have a bad burner)
I think you are right here. MEI-T02_001 is the actual mediacode for this blanks. All were perfect without fails. Even my considered dead Pioneer 206 burner lives again. I got a sharkoon adapter recommended by @cooppervid (y)
My 212 does a good job too and all disc play fine, but the quality check of the disc was a bit better with the 206. It was burned at 2x speed both times. See #219 from @coopervid.

@njweb
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056DURHW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3UWLBPW51FB0O&psc=1
I only use these for my backups :)

I think you are right here. MEI-T02_001 is the actual mediacode for this blanks. All were perfect without fails. Even my considered dead Pioneer 206 burner lives again. I got a sharkoon adapter recommended by @cooppervid (y)
My 212 does a good job too and all disc play fine, but the quality check of the disc was a bit better with the 206. It was burned at 2x speed both times. See #219 from @coopervid.

Thanks!

Just to clarify, the 20 pack from which I tested last night is MID = VERBATIMf (000). I did not receive the MEI discs (had noted this disappointment when I got them).
Today I would have bought 50 pack to try to get MEI-T02_001 discs, but I only need 10 - 20 discs at this time, so I ordered 20 (arriving this weekend).
And for next batch, I am waiting for the 50GB M-Discs to come back in stock for $6 a disc or ideally come down in price a bit. In any case, right now the 50GB M-Discs are out of stock from Amazon and other standard US retailer here and currently only offered by price gougers charging almost $10 a disc...

Whow :( 10$ a disc? That's very much.
I am about 2,30€ per disc with a 50 spindle.

Whow :( 10$ a disc? That's very much.
I am about 2,30€ per disc with a 50 spindle.

Yes :)
Of course I was referring only to M-Disc pricing (50 GB version). They are usually $6 here, but out of stock.
The 50GB Verbatim JP 4x non-M-disc are US$2.20 - 2.40 per disc for a 20 pack.

Yes :)
Of course I was referring only to M-Disc pricing (50 GB version). They are usually $6 here, but out of stock.
The 50GB Verbatim JP 4x non-M-disc are US$2.20 - 2.40 per disc for a 20 pack.
Ahh... I understand. I missed the hint with the M-disc. :whistle:

View attachment 58690
Results are for Verbatim 6X Hard Coat discs burned at 2X

I got the license for Opti Drive Control since it expired since I last used it a few months ago (there was a sale for 80% off, so got it for only $5).

I ran a 'Disc Quality Scan' on a disc from the 20 pack of Verbatim Japan 4X Printable 50GB discs from Amazon, burned at 2X.
Results of the 'Verbatim JP 4X' discs, burned at 2X, were even slightly better than the above results for the Verbatim Hard Coat glossy 10 pack 6X disc, also burned at 2X (also from Amazon).
Unfortunately the ODC results for the latter got lost when I ejected the disc (have barely used it - did about 4 scans total so far). Had I known, I would have taken a screenshot and saved it.

Attaching the Hard Coat results burned at 2X) again (from last time).
(PS: The 4X Verbatim JP discs 20 pack are also Hard Coat, but I am using Hard Coat to designate the Blue 6X Verbatim cardboard 10 pack).

Does the ODC quality scan test place undue wear / stress on the BD-R drive (relatively speaking)? Although I bought the LiteOn BD-R drive mainly for that purpose anyway, IF the tests DO place SIGNIFICANT stress / wear (relatively speaking of course), THEN I would prefer to not retest the same disc (in any case I know the ODC results were slightly better than the blue package Hard Coat discs, even if I did not get a screenshot) and would then rather test a disc from a new batch of Verbatim Japan 4X 20 pack (which I will be getting this weekend - I finished burning all 20 discs from my first pack).

Side note - Getting them from the same 3rd party seller as last time. Another 3rd party seller is cheaper, but since I had no coasters, I prefer not to try another seller since they sell tons of items, not just media, and the reviews for the sellers typically mention other items (not BD-Rs), so the seller rating is only a partial indicator of how well it might go. I did find just one review which called out my seller by name, which was negative, but they might have had back luck or have a bad burner) and I had 20 good burns out of 20 with my Pioneer BDR-212 (burned at 2X as per recommendations in this thread).

Discs mentioned:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CJ9KYC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Don't worry too much by reading / scanning the discs for quality with the LiteOn. Primarily you need good burns in the first place and the liteOn will tell you that. That also applies to M-Discs. Then the discs can get worse over time by environmental effects like temperature, humidity etc. If you get good burns with M-discs - i have seen no scans yet - these discs are supposed to live much longer since the coating is from anorganic material instead of organic material used for regular discs. However, if the burn quality is borderline then M-Discs can not help since even the smallest degradation can make some data unreadable. So - initial quality is mandatory, then aging comes in play.

Don't worry too much by reading / scanning the discs for quality with the LiteOn. Primarily you need good burns in the first place and the liteOn will tell you that. That also applies to M-Discs. Then the discs can get worse over time by environmental effects like temperature, humidity etc. If you get good burns with M-discs - i have seen no scans yet - these discs are supposed to live much longer since the coating is from anorganic material instead of organic material used for regular discs. However, if the burn quality is borderline then M-Discs can not help since even the smallest degradation can make some data unreadable. So - initial quality is mandatory, then aging comes in play.

Good point about the initial burn quality being key, thanks.

Regarding M-Discs, posting the following link, which I had found, again for those who missed it earlier in this thread:

"Well so far I found this EXTREME real world test where they put the discs in the freezing cold, sun etc. for a long time (7 months or so) and buried them under sand / dirt.
Impressive results for the 25GB M-disc he tested.
http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag...-uk.org.uk/mag/artsep16/mol-mdisc-review.html
"

I don't know if anyone else has had trouble with them, but I'm discovering a few Verbatim BD25 discs that are failing. The video will just hang up part of the way through and totally locks up. Can't rip it and recopy. The bottom of the disc is fine. It happens in my Xbox One S and LG UBK90. So far I have discovered three discs with the issue. I am burning at slow speed on a Pioneer 212 drive (I think I am burning at 2 or 4x if I remember correctly). Do I need to burn slower? Two were burned within the past few months, one was around a year ago.

I'm thinking about picking up a 25-pack of Plexdisc 50GB. I mean if Verbatims are as crap as they seem, might as well just move to BD50s instead. I used to use the Verbatim 4x BD50s that were made in Japan. But I see these are no longer made since about the last year. I had a couple Memorex BD25 as well that seem to still work fine, but not sure if you can get these anymore.

Are Plexdisc BD50 any good on this Pioneer drive?

Last edited:
I thought I'd come back and give an update since I didn't see anyone reply.

I ended up buying a couple 10-packs of SmartBuy BD50 discs and a 50-pack of SmartBuy BD25 discs. I have had good luck with both of these burning at 2x on my Pioneer BD drive, playing back on an LG UBK90.

If you want another, cheaper alternative, grab a 50-pack of DVD9s and you can burn BD9 AVCHD discs if your player supports these. If you use slow encoding, the quality is fairly decent most times. And you don't need a BD burner to burn these, works with a DVD burner.

Back