• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Bad Media Or Something Else?

Lin731

This past week, everything I burn is pixilated, jumpy, freezes up etc...

I have 3 burners, 2 internal drives on a Dell Vostro and an Inspiron (I beleive they are both liteon's from the reading I've done). I also have a Sony DRU810A, firmware 2.0d external on my Dell Dimension 2400 desktop. I'm using blank -R media, media code MBI 01RG40. Anyway, I can't buy a decent burn on any of them right now. Granted dvd write drives on laptops stink to begin with but up until this past week, my burns have been fine on my Sony (which is my workhorse).I even went to Sony's site and ran a drive test and it checks out fine.

I've updated clonedvd2 and anydvd to the versions released yesterday aka..6.5.7.6 on anydvd and 2.2.9.0 on clonedvd.

So I decided to perform some disc tests with nero, so here is the result from one of the jumpy burns of Ironman. What do you think?

Attachments

• SONY____DVD_RW_DRU-810A_2.0d_2.jpg
    SONY____DVD_RW_DRU-810A_2.0d_2.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 8
  • SONY____DVD_RW_DRU-810A_2.0d_19-October-2008_16_27.jpg
    SONY____DVD_RW_DRU-810A_2.0d_19-October-2008_16_27.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 6
  • SONYdisc quality____DVD_RW_DRU-810A_2.0d_19-April-2006_12_45.jpg
    SONYdisc quality____DVD_RW_DRU-810A_2.0d_19-April-2006_12_45.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 7
media code MBI 01RG40

That's a media code used by Moser Baer India (sometimes for Imation; sometimes for Verbatim; sometimes for TDK, etc.). I avoid anything made by them as a general rule (some MBI Verbatims are decent, but, overall, if it's made in India, I tend to walk away, especially if it's not made under Verbatim's label). What's the brand name on your blank media?

Your third screenshot says TYG02. That's a Taiyo Yuden media code. Moser Baer doesn't make Taiyo Yuden, unless you bought something with fake media codes (fake TY) :confused:

1. Provide an Anydvd .zip log file

2. At what speed are you burning your blank media?

Also, some of your screenshots are so small, I can't read them (except you're running the wrong scan).

Last edited:
I'm burning at 4x on 8x media, the maker name on the cake is US Digital media, via CdRoms2go. I've used them for years without a problem until now. I've tried playing multiple burned disc on a norcent dvd player, a toshiba, my sons dvd player and his Xbox. They jump, jitter freeze up (to the point that I had to unplug my dvd player because it locked the player up). I just put the disc into my Vostro laptop and the media code it shows is the one I stated initally to you (why the one attachment shows TY02 is unknown). I'm new to using the nero toolkit.

I haven't tried playing them in my pc yet but I will and what test should I run (aka...you said I'm running the wrong test).

My players all support -R but not all suppoert +R, which is why I've stuck with -R media.

I also ran scan disc on this on when it was in the Sony drive and all sectors came back green
General Information
Drive: PBDS DVD+-RW DS-8W1P
Firmware: BD1B
Disc: DVD-R (MBI 01RG40)
Selected speed: 8 X
PI errors
Maximum: 655
Average: 346.50
Total: 6162085
PI failures
Maximum: 16
Average: 0.29
Total: 41399
PO failures: n/a
Jitter: n/a
Scanning Statistics
Elapsed time: 9:56
Number of samples: 99172
Average scanning interval: 1.43 ECC
Glitches removed: 0

Now this scan was run on the Vostro's drive at 8x instead of on the Sony external at 4x.

I'll try the disc in my laptop and get back to you on if it plays there or not

Last edited:
I'm burning at 4x on 8x media, the maker name on the cake is US Digital media, via CdRoms2go.

You're using junk.

I've used them for years without a problem until now.

Meaningless

Bad quality blank media can vary in results from disc to disc, even within the same spindle. With good blank media you can play "find the bad blank" game. With inferior quality blank media you get to play "find the blank that works" game. And even when inferior blank media does work, you can play the "will my backups still play after 6 months (or even after two years)" game.

Use good quality blank media (Taiyo Yuden Premium, Verbatim Datalife Plus, Maxell Plus, Maxell Broadcast Quality). Avoid Ritek, Memorex, Regular Maxell blank media that you can find in most stores that are not made in Japan, Fuji, TDK from Costco, and Princo. Also, on average, it's wise to avoid blank media that's made in China or Hong Kong.

If you're using double layer blank media, use Verbatim +R DL (preferably made in Singapore) or MAM-A 8x +R DL.

My players all support -R but not all suppoert +R

That's nonsense. You can change booktype to "dvd-rom" before burning with a burner that supports bitsetting.

I'll try the disc in my laptop and get back to you on if it plays there or not

Don't bother

Use 8x rated media only with that slimline drive, and use real Taiyo Yuden blank media. And if that doesn't work, then you can start taking a closer look at your hardware.

Click the links I posted previously, and click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476 to see what you should be doing

Last edited:
Use good quality blank media (Taiyo Yuden Premium, Verbatim Datalife Plus, Maxell Plus, Maxell Broadcast Quality). Avoid Ritek, Memorex, Regular Maxell blank media that you can find in most stores that are not made in Japan, Fuji, TDK from Costco, and Princo. Also, on average, it's wise to avoid blank media that's made in China or Hong Kong.

cdrom2go is issuing me an RMA with a store credit, there site is advertising Taiyo Yuden discs, any chance they are the good ones and is there anything to indicate where they were made prior to purchase or should I email them and ask? I'm also looking at the site you put up a link for as well but I have a store credit to use up first.

That's nonsense. You can change booktype to "dvd-rom" before burning with a burner that supports bitsetting.

Dang, no need to be harsh :eek: , I've never changed the booktype or even knew it was possible to do so. My old burner didn't support +-, only -r discs and I always had -R players, never new it was possible to change booktype or if my newish Sony supported bitsetting. I'm assuming it does though. I'll have to look into it now that I do know.

At any rate, thanks for the info and the prompt advice, it's appreciated.

cdrom2go is issuing me an RMA with a store credit, there site is advertising Taiyo Yuden discs, any chance they are the good ones and is there anything to indicate where they were made prior to purchase or should I email them and ask? I'm also looking at the site you put up a link for as well but I have a store credit to use up first.

Right. I don't know anything about cdrom2go, sorry. But visit http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-how-to-tell-fake-or-real.html

Don't buy Trublue, Valuline (and possibly not Linkyo either, since I'm not sure what exactly Linkyo is).

Dang, no need to be harsh

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be. There's an old myth that only dvd-r could be played on everything. That's not true at all.

My old burner didn't support +-, only -r discs

In that case, you do need dvd-r

or if my newish Sony supported bitsetting

Model number?

Don't buy blank media that's rated faster than what your drive is capable of burning since your burner's firmware may not support the blank media being used.

Last edited:
well nero toolkit lists it as a DRU810A but my TigerDirect reciept where I bought it lists it as DRX810UL. I'm assuming it's basically the same drive, just mine is the external burner instead of the internal. The site that's crediting me for the bad discs carries both TY and verbatim, any recommendation on which media Sony burners "like" better? My old Pioneer burner didn't seem to care what you threw into it but the Sony apparently DOES. Given that Sony doesn't even make their own drives anymore, I'd have to assume this Sony is actually either a LiteOn or a BenQ? Am I also to take it that I should avoid inkjet labels too? I heard something about them possibly throwing off the discs balance?

well nero toolkit lists it as a DRU810A but my TigerDirect reciept where I bought it lists it as DRX810UL.

I think that's an external Benq DW1640. visit http://sony.storagesupport.com/product/124#drivers
Ensure your burner's firmware is updated.

The site that's crediting me for the bad discs carries both TY and verbatim, any recommendation on which media Sony burners "like" better?

If it's real TY, then get TY. And if you're getting dvd-rs, make sure that they're Taiyo Yuden Premium.

I heard something about them possibly throwing off the discs balance?

Labels should be avoided. But if the discs themselves are inkjet printable, that's fine.

Last edited:
Back