• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

backup failure with AnyDVD

Dazzle

AnyDVD versions 6.1.4.3 and two later betas (registered)
CloneDVD2 2.9.0.3 (registered)
DVDRW ND 2510A

Movie: Men with the Golden Gun - 007 special edition
Region 1 USA
Condition: brand new. no scratches. clean

I'm trying to backup the movie to my harddrive. The movie plays perfectly on a couple of standalone dvd players and also on the computer, as long as AnyDVD is disabled. With AnyDVD enabled, CloneDVD fails to preview past chapter 20, at which point it hangs. I have PowerDVD 5.0 which can play the movie past chapter 20 but the content scrambled/pixelated. Similar results with Nero Showtime. AnyDVD ripper can rip the stuff to harddrive but the VOBs containing chapter 21+ are all corrupted.

I don't know what was on that movie, but the only way I could get it backed up was with DVD Decrypter and Shrink and it still had a skip or two in it. There is something very odd with that movie and I hope the studios don't get wind of the difficulty of doing it.

It'd be useful if one of you posted the info in the status window of AnyDVD. You might also want to send the IFOs to Slysoft. Refer here for how if you don't know how to send them.

mastering errors, second layer uses different CSS key

Movie: Men with the Golden Gun - 007 special edition
Region 1 USA
Condition: brand new. no scratches. clean

I'm trying to backup the movie to my harddrive. The movie plays perfectly on a couple of standalone dvd players and also on the computer, as long as AnyDVD is disabled. With AnyDVD enabled, CloneDVD fails to preview past chapter 20, at which point it hangs. I have PowerDVD 5.0 which can play the movie past chapter 20 but the content scrambled/pixelated. Similar results with Nero Showtime. AnyDVD ripper can rip the stuff to harddrive but the VOBs containing chapter 21+ are all corrupted.

This DVD has a mastering error, where the second layer uses a different CSS key. Try ripping it with DVD Decrypter and check "detect mastering errors" in Options -> CSS. MGM used to offer a replacement of this disc, but they may no longer honor that. Google "mastering error" and Man With The Golden Gun. Basically, the disc violates DVD specifications severely. DVD Decrypter should be able to fix it if you configure it properly. As far as I know, there is no harm in keeping "detect mastering errors" enabled all the time.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=179535

Was the CSS keys archive enabled? If so, disable it and try again.

Was the CSS keys archive enabled? If so, disable it and try again.
I don't think it has anything to do with the CSS key archive bug. His problem is consistent with the mastering errors reported for this title. It begins in chapter 21. The problem is that the second layer uses a different CSS key. This breaks DVD specs and many players will have a pixellated mess for several seconds at the layer break. DVD Decrypter fixes this problem, if you set "detect mastering errors." You might have to disable AnyDVD, but that shouldn't cause a problem. This DVD is like 5-7 years old. MGM was offering a replacement if he can track down a customer service phone number and check.

I don't think it has anything to do with the CSS key archive bug. His problem is consistent with the mastering errors reported for this title. It begins in chapter 21. The problem is that the second layer uses a different CSS key. This breaks DVD specs and many players will have a pixellated mess for several seconds at the layer break. DVD Decrypter fixes this problem, if you set "detect mastering errors." You might have to disable AnyDVD, but that shouldn't cause a problem. This DVD is like 5-7 years old. MGM was offering a replacement if he can track down a customer service phone number and check.

Yeah but the discs are still being sold and apparently still have the same problem. I don't believe mine is that old (can't remember when i got it though).

Yeah but the discs are still being sold and apparently still have the same problem. I don't believe mine is that old (can't remember when i got it though).
I've read some reports that the "fixed" versions still have same problems. Maybe all the discs are defective. There were lots of problems with the old James Bond Special Editions. Try ripping with DVD Decrypter configured to "detect mastering errors." You might have to disable AnyDVD for it to work, because it might think the disc isn't encrypted and leave the second half scrambled.

Just got a James Bond Ultimate Edition. Volume 1 has 5 Bond films, one of which was Man With the Golden Gun. Had no problem making a backup of it, so the previous movie I had must have been one of those. AnyDVD, CloneDVD, 1Click, Shrink, etc will work with this edition.

Here is the AnyDVD status for this version.

Summary for drive I: (AnyDVD 6.1.4.3)
PLEXTOR DVDRPX-760A 1.06 12/26/0609:00
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 2039536 sectors (3983 MBytes)
Total size: 3959811 sectors (7734 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: MAN_WITH_THE_GOLDEN_GUN
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1 3!

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Structural copy protection not found.
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

This is the Anydvd status for Special 007 Edition. (UPC 27616-8124-2)

Summary for drive D: (AnyDVD 6.1.3.6)
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4163B
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 2071072 sectors (4045 MBytes)
Total size: 4142134 sectors (8090 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: GOLDGUN
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

Found & removed RCE protection!
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Structural copy protection not found.
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

As a note, I backed up all my Bond dvds, movie only. No problems, however, this was quite awhile ago before I purchased AnyDvd/CloneDvd.

Back