• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

BACKUP DVD's

MichaelDiggs

I use to backup DVD's several years ago with using AnyDVD. I seriously can't think what else do I need to do the physical copy? I know AnyDVD running but is there another program running doing the copy itself or AnyDVD cab do that?

I also remember a program called DVDFAB? Is that still in the game or is there another copy program that surpasses them all? This old man here can't even remember. All I remember is I have to use AnyDVD , but wasn't sure AnyDVD did the copy itself. I'd be looking for a duplicate copy of the DVD itself.
I know i'll get some good suggestions here.
Thanks!

Anydvd can rip yes, right click the Fox tray icon to access the ripping options. Anydvd however DOES NOT burn back to blank disc, you need CloneDVD 2 for that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) with Tapatalk

If Clone DVD2 was the main program a few years ago to make a DVD then I guess it was cloneDVD 2.
Thanks!

Yup had to be CloneDVD 2 the only other program that shirks using any DVD is DVD Shrink , not sure that's around anymore

It's still around just not being maintained anymore and as such can't handle discs with structural protection. Discs with structural protection need to be ripped to HDD first with the AnyDVD ripper, then it can process them fine. But, CloneDVD2 is easier to use and doesn't have that problem.

@ MichaelDiggs ,
It's best to use the AnyDVD with CloneDVD2 combo .
Then rip to the HDD using CloneDVD2 .
The reason for that is CloneDVD2 will remove any video,audio, or subtitle tracks you don't want.
It will also compress to DVD5(single layer) or not compress to DVD9 (dual layer) while doing the rip.
Even on DVD9 you might want some tracks removed.

If you don't have CloneDVD2 .
If you rip with AnyDVD to the HDD then DVDShrink still works fine to compress & remove tracks.
I suggest you also rip a second folder to the HDD if you use DVDShrink.
Then burn to the blank DVD disc with ImgBurn.

There is also DVDRebuilder (free version) that can compress & remove tracks.
Somewhat more difficult to use & set up.
You still need to rip to the HDD first with AnyDVD .

I use to backup DVD's several years ago with using AnyDVD. I seriously can't think what else do I need to do the physical copy? I know AnyDVD running but is there another program running doing the copy itself or AnyDVD cab do that?
I also remember a program called DVDFAB? Is that still in the game or is there another copy program that surpasses them all? This old man here can't even remember. All I remember is I have to use AnyDVD , but wasn't sure AnyDVD did the copy itself. I'd be looking for a duplicate copy of the DVD itself.
I know i'll get some good suggestions here.
Thanks!
You be surprised how much you still need the original physical copy. Anydvd doesn't copy - other programs rely on Anydvd to do it's magic before those software can begin to touch the DVD or BD protection. Anydvd HD is still the game to beat in town. As for dvd shrink I wouldn't use it the Author has since de-support it for a very long time and getting a more up to date program like CloneDVD would do you more then relying on a out-dated program that won't be able to handle newer disc.

If AnyDVD doesn't copy, then I wonder what it's doing when I'm using the AnyDVD ripper? My laundry perhaps?

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk.

Ok, have a newer PC and have a bunch of backed up DVDs that I ripped to my PC. Since my burning software doesn't burn the same way my older burning software did on my now gone PC I am having some problems burning the DVD files from the ripped folders. I am able to burn them without issues but then they will only play back on a DVD player or BD player but not play back on my PC like they did when I had my old PC. I thought it was the burning software that came with my new PC so I bought a good cheap burning software that did burn better but the same way by burning the DVD files as a data DVD. I think because it is burning it as a data DVD it isn't burning the video files correctly for any of my media players on my PC to play back correctly. I do not think it is the original DVD as it ripped without a problem and do not have any issues playing the original DVD movie on my PC.

If end up buying Clone DVD will it be able to burn my backed up DVDs directly to a blank DVD? The DVDs are already ripped, compressed, and saved on a HDD ready to be burnt to a DVD disc. I saw that Cholla mentioned ImgBurn above. What is the difference from Clone DVD & ImgBurn?

Last edited:
What media players are you using. If you are trying windows media player, you can stop trying. Microsoft remove that feature from the media player. You might want to check and see if the VLC player will work.

The media players I have that I have tried are PowerDVD 12, WMP, DivX, and QuickTime, not necessarily in that order. Usually I end up using PowerDVD without any problems. I have been thinking and might be the way I am ripping the DVD that could be causing the burnt DVD from not Playing. Last night I tried playing the my 2nd burn of the same DVD on my BD player and it played but very choppy. With it doing that it could be I need to try a different way of ripping it to my PC, then try burning it again.

Last edited:
Ok just a thought.
But which burner do you have?
And which media do you use to burn?

Since you ripped all the DVDs to your drive already you may try the following.
1. Use ImgBurn and create an ISO.
2. Download and install the Virtual CloneDrive.
3. Load the ISO that you created in VirtualCloneDrive and see if it plays normal in PowerDVD.

You may try to run one of the DVDs that have already been ripped to your hard drive through FixVTS (which can be found via Google) before you burn it.

Last edited:
The actual disc drive is a HP CDDVDW SH-216DB. I have the Power2GO and now Roxio Easy CD/DVD burning software. Actually the burnt DVD that was burnt from Power2GO played fine in my BD player. The media I am using to burn to is Verbatim DVD-R 16x. For that the DVD has to be compressed to fit on the blank DVD. All the DVDs that I have ripped to my PC have no problem playing from my HDD, so I know that the rips are fine. It is when I go to burn them and they are not playing on my PC from the burnt disc.

I actually took Watcher0363's advice and downloaded and installed the VLC Media Player and that actually played the burnt DVD but not all video on the DVD played. Even though it took a moment to play the DVD it wasn't struggling to play the DVD. I plan on installing this on my laptop if the players on it have the same problem. I should clean the disc to be safe and try ripping it with AnyDVD HD 1st then compressing it. It takes longer this way but I have gotten better burning results ripping it this way.

Edit: I have to have the DVD compressed to fit on a single layer DVD so the ISO wouldn't solve my problem. I then would have to use a DL DVD to burn the DVD. I have a bunch DVD-R and not many DVD DL DVD so I prefer the DVD-R instead. That is another thing maybe I should burn the DVD at a slower speed and I know that has worked for me before also.

Since ImgBurn can burn to DVD DL discs it should also burn to single layer DVDs?

I have the ripping process down pretty good. The problem I tend to run into is getting a proper working burn that will play on my PC and TV movie player. Burning on my old XP PC I had no problem because the burning software that worked burnt in a different way and could burn the actual DVD ripped files and folders and allowed me to actually burn directly from the ripped DVD files, because the software saw them like they were DVDs. I need a software that can do the same thing and from what it looks like that ImgBurn might burn my ripped DVD files that way so I would not have this problem when burning.

Update: I tried burning the DVD files with ImgBurn and after it burnt I had it run verify and it came up with a bunch of read errors. I had to stop the verify because the read errors kept increasing and would not move past 67%. When I tried playing the DVD on my PC it went to the title screen but had trouble playing the videos. In my BD player it would not play at all. unless I have something set up wrong in ImgBurn. I followed the burn guide so I would know how to set it up correctly.

My DVD rips are currently on a external HDD. Would it make a different if I moved the DVD files to my main HDD and try burning it that way? Also if I lower the burn speed lower than the 16x what burn speed would be suggested? Another thing could it be there might be some kind of issue with the original disc? The original disc seams to play fine and the ripped files also play without problems. I wonder what could be preventing my PC from burning the DVD files to disc properly to have them play properly?

Last edited:
@Lighning Bolt
When it comes to burning DL DVDs the big advantage of CloneDVD is that you can create a new image with a good layer break if there isn't one.
Compared to other free burning apps in ImgBurn you have at least the option to choose a layer break position, but there's not always a good one:
http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?...-a-dvd-video-double-layer-disc-using-imgburn/

In general: for best compatibility it's recommended to use the so called UDF bridge - an ISO/UDF 1.02 hybrid file system.

Choppy playback sounds like bad media, please use DVD Identifier and tell us the Media ID and your burner/firmware as already suggested by tectpro.
http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

EDIT: ok, Verbatim DVD-R should be fine, but still, there are also some mediocre MIDs which shouldn't be burned too fast
...and it looks like layer break isn't an issue for you.
So just for burning CloneDVD won't bring any advantage.

Last edited:
@ Lightning Bolt ,
There is a lot of information on "burning" with ImgBurn .
They have their own forum if you need an in depth how to.

This is the simple explanation.
First you don't need to convert to an .ISO & use a virtual drive.

In ImgBurn select Build mode AKA " Write files/folders to disc" if you use the EZ-Mode Picker.
"Browse for a folder" .
Select the Movie folder.
"Switch to device output" button . Select your burner drive.
Burn to a blank DVD .Single or dual layer.
That's it.
Try playing that DVD in your Media Player on your computer .

@ Lightning Bolt ,
There is a lot of information on "burning" with ImgBurn .
They have their own forum if you need an in depth how to.

This is the simple explanation.
First you don't need to convert to an .ISO & use a virtual drive.

In ImgBurn select Build mode AKA " Write files/folders to disc" if you use the EZ-Mode Picker.
"Browse for a folder" .
Select the Movie folder.
"Switch to device output" button . Select your burner drive.
Burn to a blank DVD .Single or dual layer.
That's it.
Try playing that DVD in your Media Player on your computer .

Ok, thanks I will try that after work tomorrow as it is getting late. I hope I have better luck with your instructions. If I have farther issues I will go to ImgBurn's forum for more help. I will update on if this is successful or not. Again thanks.

Update: I ended up uninstalling and re-installing ImgBurn to reset all settings and to fix lost log window. Followed the simple instructions by Cholla and the DVD burnt without problems. I deselected the verify so It did not go through that. I tried playing on the VLC Media Player and it only played 1 of the trailers on the DVD. I then tried PowerDVD 12 and even though it took a little bit for it to read the disc it did play the main movie without problems. I was also able to get it to go to the DVD menu. The only thing that would not play was the 2 trailers on the disc. The main movie is the more important video to have play.

I also played the disc in my BD player connected to my TV and it played flawlessly for the entire disc. Thank you for everyone's help and suggestions.

Edit 2/10/17: I know all RedFox and Elby products have a 21 day trial. I bought a AnyDVD HD lifetime license at some point when I bought it when the company changed. Right now I do not need CloneDVD as ImgBurn is doing what I want it to do. I have narrowed my issue down to that my disc drive is having trouble reading the DVD disc after it has ben burnt. Right now I do not have the capability to do this same thing with a BD movie. When I do I am sure I will be looking into getting CloneBD, but for right I do not need it. Thanks for the information in case I do need it and want to try it.

Last edited:
ALL RedFox and Elby Products have a 21 day Try BEFORE You BUY.
CloneDVD is for making backups of DVD's that are playable on settop players.
So download the trial and see if does what you want.

https://www.redfox.bz/download/SetupCloneDVD.exe

The only exception to this is the trialing of CloneBD. And it has no time limit at this time. Due to it still being New and having to be actively debugged as new features are added and problems addressed as they arise. If it has to compress the file it puts a "Trial" watermark on the output. If it is uncompressed ie. lossless then no watermark is applied at all.

@ Lightning Bolt ,
I'm glad ImgBurn worked for you for the most part.
My instructions were about as simple as possible .
There are many settings available in ImgBurn which is why I suggested going to their forum.
For example since I have CloneDVD2 I use the "Elby CDIO-Elaborate Bytes" in Settings/IO/Interface .
I have read that this is also available if you install Elby's Virtual CloneDrive.
I haven't tested that as I've always had CloneDVD2 installed.
I don't usually use Verify either .

Give ImgBurn a try on creating a mixed cue for an Audio CD & burning one .
If you feel like experimenting.

My understanding of ImgBurn Build mode is it does a bit by bit copy .
So it should play in a computer media player the same as if you selected the movie Directory or folder to play.
I use VLC but it can be selective on what it plays from a disc or folder.
My goto is MPCHC. I have done some tweaking on it to use the LAV filters.
I don't have a copy of PowerDVD .( I do have a very old version on my XP Pro OS).
I rarely boot into it any more. Just there if I need to.
I do have a copy of some other players but seldom use them.

@cholla,
The only thing I did differently was to type in a label for the disc.
I figured that and I did go to their forum for help when my burnt disc still had trouble playing in my PC.
The Verify may have messed up the previous burn because it just kept going and wouldn't stop.

On my old PC I used Roxio Easy Media Creator 7.5 a older software, this is before Corel bought them. Back then Roxio made great burning software and the person who made DVD Shrink made their burning engine for their software. It was great at burning my ripped DVD files because it could see the folder as DVD's and I could also select the folders to burn almost the way ImgBurn does and I had no problems with my burnt discs.
PowerDVD 12 works but for some reason it takes a little time for my PC disc drive to read the disc to show the movie and then I have to select the movie chapter for it to play and that also takes a moment to play but it plays without problems then. PowerDVD is a good media player, at times when I had used it on my old PC it would play video when other players struggled.
I wish I still had my old XP PC working because I would still use it but just to burn my DVDs.

Edit: I was also thinking of doing that as well.

Last edited:
Back