• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

backed up dvd wont run

anydvd and clone dvd installed on my laptop and desktop.

this latest upgrade of anydvd caused clone dvd to crash on both machines.
I have reinstalled " clone dvd " which got rid of the error and now the application runs but.. the result of the burn is a completely blank disk.

It un readable in the DVD player and in the computer DVD drives.

the process reads with out errors and writes the whole disk with out errors, the "eject" prompt appears and the back up of the DVD is ejected. The new back up disk is blank or at least does not contain anything that the computer can read.
anyone have this problem?

1. Update your burner's firmware (if available)
http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=12794&postcount=10

2. Use good quality media (Memorex, Ritek, Princo, Fuji, TDK from Costco, and Maxell that are not made in Japan are not good quality media). Are you using inferior blank media? If you're not using Taiyo Yuden (not Valueline), Verbatim, Maxell Plus, or Maxell Broadcast Quality, then chances are the answer is yes.
If you use poor quality blank media, then you should expect problems.

visit http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4764653&postcount=25
and
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3976250

3. Try lowering your burn speed a little (if you have a 16x burner and 16x rated media try writing to it at 12x or 8x instead of 16x)

4. If you're using +R, +RW, or +R DL media, change the booktype to "dvd-rom"
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476 (step 3)

5. Avoid sticker labels (they tend to cause problems)

6. Try setting a custom size of 4300 in whatever burning program you're using (but if you're using good media, you shouldn't have to) if you're using regular single layer dvd-5 (4.7GB) discs.

7. Download Nero cd-dvd speed. It's a free program. Select the tab labeled "scandisc". Insert the problematic backup disc, select the appropriate drive letter, and click "start". If Nero cd-dvd speed reports read errors, your backup is bad (which is the most likely case), your optical drive may be slowly dying, or your optical drive simply doesn't like the disc (or your choice of blank media)--even if the disc looks fine.

Bad burn quality is notorious around the end of discs (see step 6)
and also at layer breaks when using low quality DL media (use Verbatim +R DL media made in Singapore or MAM-A 8x +R DL, and change the booktype to "dvd-rom")

I'm using the same disks that I have always been using.

I know you love to point out that I could be using much more expensive disks but these disks work just fine right before the last update.

For that matter, the original problem that I posted here was solved NOT by buying new disks but by the next update.

Please try to keep an open mind to this problem as the list of suggestions you give is valid, it does not nessessarily mean it fits all problems related to burning.

Can we keep in mind that these disks worked the day before the update and today, they dont.. Exactly the same way the last problem happened.

pls pls please can someone look further into this?

I'm using the same disks that I have always been using.

I know you love to point out that I could be using much more expensive disks but these disks work just fine right before the last update.

If you use cheap junk, you should expect problems.

For that matter, the original problem that I posted here was solved NOT by buying new disks but by the next update.

You are mistaken. Anydvd has nothing to do with burning.

Please try to keep an open mind to this problem as the list of suggestions you give is valid

Anydvd has nothing to do with burning.

Can we keep in mind that these disks worked the day before the update and today, they dont.

Sure.
Bad quality blank media can vary in results from disc to disc, even within the same spindle. With good blank media you can play "find the bad blank" game. With inferior quality blank media you get to play "find the blank that works" game. And even when inferior blank media does work, you can play the "will my backups still play after 6 months (or even after two years)" game.

Use good quality blank media (Taiyo Yuden Premium, Verbatim, Maxell Plus, Maxell Broadcast Quality). Avoid Ritek, Memorex, Regular Maxell blank media that you can find in most stores that are not made in Japan, Fuji, TDK from Costco, and Princo. Also, on average, it's wise to avoid blank media that's made in China or Hong Kong.

If you're using double layer blank media, use Verbatim +R DL (preferably made in Singapore) or MAM-A 8x +R DL.

Exactly the same way the last problem happened.

Doesn't surprise me in the least.

Coaster said:
You will be returning to the Forum complaining that you are unable to make BacKUp copies that play properly in you DVD Players.

Coaster must be clairvoyant. ;)

Last edited:
I just find it odd that with this latest patch the following has happened to several people

1: CloneDVD Crashes as soon as the application trying to read a disk after AnyDVD was updated.
1a: to me, this tells me that the two applications are related and could somehow effect eachother no?

2: This complete burn and nothing on disk problem happens exactly like last time, "right after an update".

the solution last time, and I know you swear this is not the solution, but none the less, it started working again right after the next update of AnyDVD.

I've followed what steps i can that you have outlined and many steps I cant follow but i've done what i can. There is no firmware to update, i've tried all speeds.. ect.

So i guess if you are the only guy who can help and your only solutions are that one email with all those checks.. then i guess i have to wait till the next update..

I can only go by experience and my 100% experience is that the update broke it.. and the update fixed it.. now, the update broke it again.

Thanks for keeping an open mind about this.

1: CloneDVD Crashes as soon as the application trying to read a disk after AnyDVD was updated.
1a: to me, this tells me that the two applications are related and could somehow effect eachother no?

If an application crashes, it can't burn; therefore, this issue that some people are having (many simply reinstall; another has disabled a registry monitoring program, which worked) has no bearing on your problem.

This complete burn and nothing on disk problem happens exactly like [qulast time, "right after an update".

I'm not too sure what you don't understand about the fact that Anydvd doesn't burn--but it doesn't burn. Anydvd doesn't affect burning. You posted in the wrong forum originally. I moved the thread to the Clonedvd forum.

Clonedvd does burn.

the solution last time, and I know you swear this is not the solution, but none the less, it started working again right after the next update of AnyDVD

Doesn't surprise me. You use junk blank media, and Anydvd gets updated frequently.

So i guess if you are the only guy

Do you not see the post from others telling you to drop the junk blank media you use? Do you think those other experienced users are telling you the same thing because they don't keep an open mind?

Get some Taiyo Yuden 8x dvd+rs, and change the booktype to "dvd-rom" before burning.

who can help and your only solutions are that one email with all those checks.

Email? This is a forum.

I can only go by experience and my 100% experience is that the update broke it.. and the update fixed it.. now, the update broke it again.

Again, you're mistaken. Anydvd has nothing to do with burning. And you keep posting in the Anydvd forum about your problem. Now it is remotely possible a Clonedvd update could affect burning, but since everyone I know with Clonedvd is unable to reproduce this problem (that's over 20 different systems), and since you refuse to rule out possible blank media issues, chances are your blank media or your burner is the problem.

Thanks for keeping an open mind about this.

I try not to keep my mind open enough that someone can drive a truck through it . . .

Last edited:
Do this, so I can take a look at what's on your system, please:

a) Ensure Anydvd is running.
b) Put the problematic original disc in your optical drive/reader. Wait for Anydvd to scan the disc.
c) Right click the red fox icon on your toolbar.
d) Select "Create Logfile"
e) Wait for Anydvd to create a log file.
f) A pop-up screen will appear. Take note of the location where Anydvd created the logfile and the logfile's name. Click "ok".
g) Go to your My Documents folder
h) You will see a zip file called "Anydvd_Info_titleofmydisc.zip" (or something similar; see step f)
i) When replying or posting in the Slysoft forums, look for the icon that looks like
attach.gif

j) If you don't see that paperclip icon, click the "go advanced" button. You should see that icon now. Click the paperclip.
k) A small pop-up screen should appear (if it doesn't please ensure your browser is enabled to allow pop-ups from the Slysoft forums)
l) Click the "Browse" button, and locate and select the .zip file you created.
m) click "upload"

1: i'm grateful for help, although it does not sound it in "forums" speak.
2: im trying to explore options and i look at the most obvious first.
3: I understand that "anydvd" does not write, and that "clone DVD does"
4: Last time this happened it must have been coincidental that it stopped working after an anydvd release and began working after the next one but I'm still using that same old "Coasters" and they work just fine exept for periodic updates to.. AnyDVD. I dont know why, and my other programs dont have a problem writing to these disks.

that said, I will try and find some of the disks you have outlined to rule out the media possibility.

Now i obviously dont know jack about what AnyDvd does but im guessing it has to do with the ripping and stripping of the original files or at least reading it. I have to wonder if it is possible that there was an error in the way the data was read, that manifested itself in the way it was written? Again, im just guessing.

Is it possible to revert back to the previous build as a trouble shooting step?
I dont save them to disk anymore so i would need that biuld to test the "go back " theory.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_Info_K_TOMB_RAIDER_CRADLE_OF_LIFE.zip
    104.7 KB · Views: 2
ASAPIW2k (system32\drivers\ASAPIW2k.sys), Version: 6.0.2.27 (6.0.2.0)
Company: Pinnacle Systems GmbH
Product: asapi
Copyright: (c) 1997-2003 by Pinnacle Systems GmbH
Description: ASAPI
FileVersion: 6, 0, 2, 27
ProductVersion: 6, 0, 2, 0

This is known to be problematic and should be removed.

NeroCd2k (system32\drivers\NeroCd2k.sys), Version: 1.0.0.9 (1.0.0.9)
Company: ahead software gmbh
im stoeckmaedle 6
76307 karlsbad, germany
Fax: ++49-7248-911-888
e-mail: info@nero.com
Product: Nero Burning Rom
Copyright: Copyright © 2000-2001 ahead software gmbh
Description: Nero Filter Driver
FileVersion: 1.0.0.9
ProductVersion: 1.0.0.9
SpecialBuild: Release
Multimounter support

I'm not familiar with this Nero filter.

A. Download imgburn. It's a free program: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
(it's also an excellent program imo)

B. Run imgburn. Go to Tools > Filter Driver Load Order

C. Select ASAPIW2k. Click "remove selected filter". Click "ok". Reboot. Ensure that filter is no longer listed.

Once you remove a filter the software that used it may no longer function correctly.

Last edited:
Changed firstplay: Jump directly to TitleMenu!

"Remove annoying adverts and trailers" does not work properly for all discs. It may even make backups unplayable. You get a warning from Anydvd when you enable that feature. To check to see if it will work with the disc you are using, you should play the original disc on your computer with Anydvd running in the background. If you experience a problem with playback, then your backup won't work properly either.

Try disabling "Remove annoying adverts and trailers".

You've got some filters on your system that I've never seen before. Looking into them now . . .

You've got some filters on your system that I've never seen before. Looking into them now . . .

ASAPIW2k (system32\drivers\ASAPIW2k.sys), Version: 6.0.2.27 (6.0.2.0)
Company: Pinnacle Systems GmbH
Product: asapi
Copyright: (c) 1997-2003 by Pinnacle Systems GmbH
Description: ASAPI
FileVersion: 6, 0, 2, 27
ProductVersion: 6, 0, 2, 0

Used by Pinnacle Studio 9 by Pinnacle systems or VOB Computersysteme GMBH

I believe James is not fond of that filter.

NeroCd2k (system32\drivers\NeroCd2k.sys), Version: 1.0.0.9 (1.0.0.9)
Company: ahead software gmbh
im stoeckmaedle 6
76307 karlsbad, germany
Fax: ++49-7248-911-888
e-mail: info@nero.com
Product: Nero Burning Rom
Copyright: Copyright © 2000-2001 ahead software gmbh
Description: Nero Filter Driver
FileVersion: 1.0.0.9
ProductVersion: 1.0.0.9
SpecialBuild: Release
Multimounter support

Hmmm . . . http://www.cdrinfo.com/forum/fb.asp?m=77439

I think you better leave NeroCd2k alone for now.

i) Create a backup of your registry
ii) Download imgburn. It's a free program: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
(it's also an excellent program imo)
iii) Go to Tools > Filter Driver Load Order. Select "ASAPIW2k". Click "Remove Selected Filter. Click "ok".
iv) Reboot

Keep in mind the programs (Pinnacle) that installed that filter may no longer function properly.

this machine is much cleaner. I dont want to dissable or break anything on the desktop so pls look at this log. Nothing is installed on this laptop really.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_Info_D_TOMB_RAIDER_CRADLE_OF_LIFE.zip
    104.9 KB · Views: 1
this machine is much cleaner. I dont want to dissable or break anything on the desktop so pls look at this log. Nothing is installed on this laptop really.

Yeah, I don't notice any problems with your filters on that system.

If you have an issue, the issue is between your burner, your choice of blank media (and there's no delicate way of putting this; you've been using junk), your burner's firmware, and your standalone dvd player.

Use Taiyo Yuden 8x dvd+rs (if you're in the U.S., visit supermediastore.com) and change the booktype to dvd-rom before burning: click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476 and follow the steps in the order they are listed

And again, "remove annoying adverts and trailers" does not work properly with all discs and may even make some movies unplayable.

Now, my desktop dvd burner will burn but my laptop has the same old problem. It completes the copy and prompts you to eject the disk but the disk is not readable. I know its not the media since the desktop (oddly, the one with all the other crap loaded on it), is working flawlessly.

i had the dvd burner replace a year back so im pretty confident that its not going bad at this point so i'm going to go over all the details of this thread and see if i've missed something. This is a stop dead in the water problem..

is Sony DVD+R media OK?
it is model 25DPR47LS4 if that helps.

let me know if these are ok and I'll trouble shoot with them.

Back