Back-up a Back-up

Discussion in 'CloneDVD' started by Grandparobert, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Grandparobert

Grandparobert Member

Try to copy a backed up movie on DVD-r to another DVD-r and get CRC error. This happens on all movies I try to backup. Any suggestions?
    Thanks

2. Zeratul

Zeratul Well-Known Member

that usually happens on a bad burn or if you used low quality blanks that have degraded.

what brand of blank dvd do you use?

3. bilbo65

bilbo65 Well-Known Member

Just use your unblimished originals....:)

4. DetroitBaseball

DetroitBaseball Well-Known Member

Easier to copy a backup. Shouldn't have to use the original.

5. bilbo65

Unless your getting CRCs from having used crapy media and getting bad burns originally....:D

6. Grandparobert

Grandparobert Member

Thanks for all your input. I'm using Verbatim DVD-R on the original backups and trying to back them up with the same. The original backups play fine on my stand alone DVD player but when I try to back them up it will go about 40% and come up error. It happens on all the movies I try to back up off of DVD-R disks that have been backed up from store bought DVD's.

7. Webslinger

Webslinger Retired Moderator

Try cleaning your disc. Download Nero cd-dvd speed. It's a free program. With Anydvd running in the background, select the tab labeled "scandisc". Select the appropriate drive letter, and click "start". If Nero cd-dvd speed reports read errors, your disc is (probably) bad and needs to be exchanged--even if it plays fine (or your optical drive could be slowly dying).

8. bilbo65

Might run into some problems trying to exchange "copies"....:)

9. Rodster

Rodster Well-Known Member

The good old Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC) error. As mentioned beforehand, its usually a bad original. Make sure there are no marks or scratches on the disc itself and use either TDK / Taiyo Yuden / Verbatim media.

Rodney

10. DetroitBaseball

DetroitBaseball Well-Known Member

Why are you recommending TDK?

11. matrix

matrix Well-Known Member

Would the aspi or spti layer cause any issues?

12. Webslinger

Webslinger Retired Moderator

If he is otherwise able to backup originals, then no.

13. Coaster

Coaster Well-Known Member

@ Grandparobert,

Have you ensured that the undisclosed DVD Burner you are using to make your Commercial DVD Movie Backups has the newest most current up to date Firmware available?

Although using the newest most current up date Firmware will improve the burning quality of future burns, it will not correct read/write CRC errors in previously recorded media.

Regards,
    Coaster

14. Grandparobert

Grandparobert Member

Thanks Coaster. I will try to up date my burners Firmware

15. bilbo65

In the meantime, re -copy your originals. :D

16. Grandparobert

Grandparobert Member

Will do Bilbo65. Thanks