• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Babylon 5 DVDs failing to decrypt - CSS issue

Megalomando

Hi,

Using AnyDVD HD 8.6.0.0

I have been trying to bring my Babylon 5 DVDs and their associated movies to the computer. I am encountering CSS errors that prevent some of these from being ripped. Sometimes I get a partial decrypt in that I can reliably run the first episode of a DVD but not the remaining three. All of the single episode Movies have failed to run.

Sometimes I get errors from AnyDVD and sometimes I have no error warning but do get warnings in VSO DVD Converter Ultimate that the contents are encripted. I have tried copying the files directly to the computer and have used DVDDecrypter in addition to the resident AnyDVD to copy these and no luck.

Are there any known issues with AnyDVD having issues with the Babylon 5 series & if so, are there any suggestions how I can best deal with the CSS errors?

Thanks!

A potential reason could be that your drive region is not set. Please post an AnyDVD log file.

Cooper, thank you.

I have attached a log of the currently running DVD. This is not one I have had trouble with but perhaps it will tell you what you need to know. If you need a log when there is a DVD with the problem I will make that and send it as quickly as possible.

I am in region 1 and using a LG BluRay R/W drive.

Thanks

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.6.0.0_Info_D_BABYLON5_SEASON_1.ziplog
    153.8 KB · Views: 4
Cooper, my mistake, there does appear to be an error with the DVD at this time. Perhaps that is because I asked it to generate a log while the DVD was in use by DVD Converter Ultimate? I expected the log was already generated and didn't know it would task the DVD to generate it.

are there any suggestions how I can best deal with the CSS errors?Thanks!
Set your drive region. Make sure to EXIT AnyDVD before checking or setting the drive region. AnyDVD cannot be running.
HL-DT-ST BD-REWH16NS40 1.02
Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)

It's been over a decade since I read my B5 sets to disk, but they processed fine back then. All of them. If you are getting CSS errors, I would suggest looking to see if your drive's region isn't set, as has been suggested.

Now, granted, you are using an LG. I did not use an LG with my discs, but LG's can be finicky readers. However, getting errors on ALL discs is indicative of something else other than LG's being picky.

Follow-up...

I've changed my region to 1, at least it shows I have done so when looking at the region properties, and it says I have 4 more changes allowed, so 1 was used.

I've attached the AnyDVDlog. The warning notice from AnyDVD after it tried to patch the DVD showing an error telling me to change to change to region 1, and I've attached a print showing I have already changed the DVD player from region 0 to region 1to region 1.

Apparently the issue is more than switching regions?

Suggestions?

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.6.0.0_Info_D_BABYLON5_SEASON2_DISC5.ziplog
    186.3 KB · Views: 5
  • AnyDVD.jpg
    AnyDVD.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 3
  • DVD Region.jpg
    DVD Region.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 1
It's been over a decade since I read my B5 sets to disk, but they processed fine back then. All of them. If you are getting CSS errors, I would suggest looking to see if your drive's region isn't set, as has been suggested.

Now, granted, you are using an LG. I did not use an LG with my discs, but LG's can be finicky readers. However, getting errors on ALL discs is indicative of something else other than LG's being picky.

The only error I get on all of them is for me to change to region 1. But most of the generated files run fine. On this DVD, 5 tracks are present but the last one has no available audio.

Finicky, my cat can be finicky but my drive? No. What drive is reasonable & a good replacement?

Thanks

Follow-up...

I've changed my region to 1, at least it shows I have done so when looking at the region properties, and it says I have 4 more changes allowed, so 1 was used.

I've attached the AnyDVDlog. The warning notice from AnyDVD after it tried to patch the DVD showing an error telling me to change to change to region 1, and I've attached a print showing I have already changed the DVD player from region 0 to region 1to region 1.

Apparently the issue is more than switching regions?

Suggestions?
You should have closed AnyDVD when setting the region. Please close it, start again. Does the status window still show region: 0 ? If yes, please set it again to region 1 (USA) while AnyDVD is not running. The status window should show region:1. Then AnyDVD should decrypt OK.

Follow-up...

No, you did not:

Code:
Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)
Exit AnyDVD and try again. AnyDVD will fool the OS drive region. It is part of its job.

What you have to do is by the time on the bottom right click the icon for anydvd and exit-and then set your region.Hope that helps. Good luck!

Yes, I was going to suggest the same thing. Try changing the region again, but make sure AnyDVD is not running at the time.

As for your question about what drive to use, I only use BD's so you may not want to get one if you just plan on using DVD's. But, I use the LG WH16NS60 for most of my needs, but it will occasionally fail to read some discs. (All around, the NS60 is the best of a bad situation as ALL drives have their problems, but the NS60 has the fewest and the most tolerable ones.) That's when I have a USB Pioneer drive on hand for. It's a rebranded Verbatim, so I don't know what Pioneer model it actually is. Just that it returns as a Pioneer in its ID string.

Yes, I was going to suggest the same thing. Try changing the region again, but make sure AnyDVD is not running at the time.

As for your question about what drive to use, I only use BD's so you may not want to get one if you just plan on using DVD's. But, I use the LG WH16NS60 for most of my needs, but it will occasionally fail to read some discs. (All around, the NS60 is the best of a bad situation as ALL drives have their problems, but the NS60 has the fewest and the most tolerable ones.) That's when I have a USB Pioneer drive on hand for. It's a rebranded Verbatim, so I don't know what Pioneer model it actually is. Just that it returns as a Pioneer in its ID string.
Your Verbatim: Check the status window of AnyDVD or the status window of Makemkv.

Actually, I should have said I don't remember what the Verbatim model is. ImgBurn would tell me, as that's how I remember it being a Pioneer from the ID string it returned. But, I'd have to connect it up again and check to see. Oh, wait, maybe the Log from ImgBurn still has an entry for it. Let me check.

There was an entry in the ImgBurn Log for my Pioneer. It's a BDR-UD03.

Actually, I should have said I don't remember what the Verbatim model is. ImgBurn would tell me, as that's how I remember it being a Pioneer from the ID string it returned. But, I'd have to connect it up again and check to see. Oh, wait, maybe the Log from ImgBurn still has an entry for it. Let me check.

There was an entry in the ImgBurn Log for my Pioneer. It's a BDR-UD03.
Lucky you! This drive should be capable to rip UHDs. Firmwares 1.00 and 1.05 are supported.

Mine is 1.03. I never thought to check for firmware updates, because, generally, I've never found a USB native drive I bought that ever had a firmware update available.

Folks, this is the DVD section and you are way off topic.

Back