• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

B&W To Colour

Jaaaamie

Hey guys

I don’t know if this is the right forum to post, but I’ll try! Just downloaded Jailhouse Rock for my grandmother. Great film! However, it is black and white. What I am wondering is, with technology as good as it is these days, is there a converter or a way to colourise the film with a filter within an encoder?

I would love to be able to give her a colourised version!

Thanks

Jamie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No. How would a filter know what colours should go where? I think you should leave it the way the director intended.

Many times you can find classic films in both BW and color just FYI.

No. How would a filter know what colours should go where? I think you should leave it the way the director intended.

There are plenty of apps that can colourise a photo. It is possible.

I can't say I know of any "home" app to do this - but it is clearly possible. Witness what Peter Jackson did with the archive films used in "They Shall Not Grow Old". I believe that the process used there was not a simple application as per the photo tool (example above), but rather that a human chooses what colours to apply to various elements in certain frames - based on either colour photos, physical artefacts (eg uniforms in museums) or other records of the time. Then a program uses some sophisticated motion tracking to apply the same colour to the equivalent elements (even if moved) in subsequent frames.

There are tools available to colorize B&W video.
You can read about one of it on GitHub
Code:
 https://github.com/jantic/DeOldify

Also Vegas Studio Pro offers to colorize B&W video.
Code:
https://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/vegas-pro/#productMenu
Code:
Built into the core of VEGAS Pro, hardware-accelerated AI assists creativity and fast editing.
-Colorization to bring black & white scenes to life

Check out a company called Legend Films they specialize in colorizinf B&W Movies. Maybe they did this movie.

https://legendfilms.com/colorizationWhy.html

To the critics, I hate B&W and would take a colorized version any time over a B&W. I guess you guys would also rather Mono to Stereo or higher. To each his own stop being so critical!

Check out a company called Legend Films they specialize in colorizinf B&W Movies. Maybe they did this movie.

https://legendfilms.com/colorizationWhy.html

To the critics, I hate B&W and would take a colorized version any time over a B&W. I guess you guys would also rather Mono to Stereo or higher. To each his own stop being so critical!

Thank you!

Also, "The Wizard Of Oz" (1939) cleverly used both Black & White, along with color to tell Dorothy's story, and it was very effective.

The Wizard of Oz was the first movie to be filmed in color using Technicolor.
Incorrect.

The opening and closing scenes of the movie were filmed in black & white and colored in a sepia tone process.

Also, Robin Hood with Errol Flynn came out a year earlier from Warner Brothers, and it's totally in Technicolor.

I hate butt in but
The Toll of the Sea, which debuted on November 26, 1922, used Process 2 and was the first general-release film in Technicolor. Almost 100 years ago.

I hate butt in but
The Toll of the Sea, which debuted on November 26, 1922, used Process 2 and was the first general-release film in Technicolor. Almost 100 years ago.
According to Wikipedia: The Gulf Between (1917) was the first Technicolor film and was released 13 September 1917. About 105 years ago.

According to Wikipedia: The Gulf Between (1917) was the first Technicolor film and was released 13 September 1917. About 105 years ago.

The problem there is I could go edit it right now to make it say "Beavis and Butthead do America" was the first color film (Yes I am being super silly). It's just very untrustworthy.

Incorrect.

The opening and closing scenes of the movie were filmed in black & white and colored in a sepia tone process.

Also, Robin Hood with Errol Flynn came out a year earlier from Warner Brothers, and it's totally in Technicolor.
I knew I would start an argument. I quoted that from google but they contradicted themselves. There was three different answers on google!

The problem there is I could go edit it right now to make it say "Beavis and Butthead do America" was the first color film (Yes I am being super silly). It's just very untrustworthy.
What's wrong with Beavis and Butthead do America.:LOL::LOL: I don't use Wikipedia.

Back