• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AVP: Requiem/Alvin nd the Cipmunks logfiles

According to spec the drive's MKB (containing the host revocation record) is only upgraded when authentication starts.

So if you only put a disc into the drive it should not update its list. But that's no guarantee.
Yes, but I believe I saw drives being revoked without authentication. But this might have been caused by the bug in AnyDVD I mentioned (fixed in 6.4.0.7), but I am not sure. As you said, there is no guarantee.

Yes, but I believe I saw drives being revoked without authentication. But this might have been caused by the bug in AnyDVD I mentioned (fixed in 6.4.0.7), but I am not sure. As you said, there is no guarantee.

Well, it's still the safest thing I can think of. Create the ISO and when someone else gets the key the ISO will work. My drive stays unmolested (theoretically). Winning situation in my book.

Thanks for the info, and sorry about your mishap. Did you insert any of the MKBv7 discs with an older AnyDVD version (< 6.4.0.7) active?
There was a bug in the revocation detection which I fixed in 6.4.0.7. Sorry.

Yeah, I only upgraded to 6.4.0.7. tonight when we bought the key and I still couldn't decrypt the titles in question.

You can never be sure that some "i'm so useless" background service of any software player sees a disc and jumps on it.

Yeah, I only upgraded to 6.4.0.7. tonight when we bought the key and I still couldn't decrypt the titles in question.
Argh. Maybe it's my fault. :eek:
Sorry.

Last edited:
You can never be sure that some "i'm so useless" background service of any software player sees a disc and jumps on it.
Well, yes, ... but if AnyDVD is running nobody can authenticate with the drive. AnyDVD will check the MKB if the host certificate is revoked, and will not try to authenticate if it sees a revocation. At least, in theory... :eek:

Well, yes, ... but if AnyDVD is running nobody can authenticate with the drive. AnyDVD will check the MKB if the host certificate is revoked, and will not try to authenticate if it sees a revocation. At least, in theory... :eek:

Right but I would disable AnyDVD to make my ISO. I do see the point about background services. This is a real pain in the neck here. Well, hopefully, you guys will have a solution anyway, so, I'm not TOO concerned, but, I was looking for a safe way to make images in the meantime. I'm not sure anything other than using the PS3 to rip would be fully "safe".

Well the problem is that the drive is updating its MKB from the disc itself. Authentication only triggers the event but it may not be the only trigger. If a drive manufacturer chooses to upgrade at disc insertion you can't prevent it. The spec doesn't forbit MKB update at any time/event.

Well the problem is that the drive is updating its MKB from the disc itself. Authentication only triggers the event but it may not be the only trigger. If a drive manufacturer chooses to upgrade at disc insertion you can't prevent it. The spec doesn't forbit MKB update at any time/event.

Well that absolutely sucks! I wish AnyDVD could block recovation even if it's technically disabled but loaded. I know, worms in a can...

The only thing AnyDVD does and can do is checking if its host certificate is on the disc's revocation list. If it is AnyDVD doesn't authenticate. (recent bug aside)

Allowing this behaviour is actually a design flaw in AACS. Good for us at the moment.

Yes, but, a massive can of worms because if AnyDVD is set to disabled, people will want it to TRULY be disabled....

True. Of course this is all just thinking off the top of my head and nothing more but... what if there were 3 states for AnyDVD rather than two: (1) enabled, (2) anti-revocation, and (3) disabled. Of course, in the anti-revocation state all it does is prevent this from happening. When enabled the software functions normally and disabled it functions as it normally does disabled.

More work but just an idea. I'm no programmer so maybe it's just a crazy idea.

The only thing AnyDVD does and can do is checking if its host certificate is on the disc's revocation list. If it is AnyDVD doesn't authenticate. (recent bug aside)

Allowing this behaviour is actually a design flaw in AACS. Good for us at the moment.

That confuses me and brings up more questions that you may or may not want to answer. :) If AnyDVD doesn't authenticate and PowerDVD or whatever player is brought up to play the disc, won't that player then do the authentication because the disc is still encrypted at that point? Or will the player be blocked from authenticating, as well, in which case it will refuse to play the disc? (I'm ok with that scenario, tbh)

would it be possible to modify the firmware of the bd drive to just ignore the revocation lists?

We look into it :)

Awesome answer. :) I'm ok with even having a hidden registry switch to set to allow it to enable anti-revocation code when in a technically disabled state. No confusion for most users but allows some of us to block that nonsense and still make ISOs "safely".

That confuses me and brings up more questions that you may or may not want to answer. :) If AnyDVD doesn't authenticate and PowerDVD or whatever player is brought up to play the disc, won't that player then do the authentication because the disc is still encrypted at that point? Or will the player be blocked from authenticating, as well, in which case it will refuse to play the disc? (I'm ok with that scenario, tbh)

The player doesn't authenticate because it doesn't think the disc is encrypted. That's the whole idea.

The player doesn't authenticate because it doesn't think the disc is encrypted. That's the whole idea.

But if AnyDVD doesn't authenticate, it has no way of retrieving the key for an unknown disc. (The volume identifier must be known in order to retrieve a title key). So in the situation we see now where you have a new MKB and no title keys. AnyDVD, in that case, can't decrypt the disc. Would that not still show up in PowerDVD or whatever as encrypted? Or does AnyDVD somehow say "uh, yea, no, it's not encrypted thanks for playing"? :) Sorry for the questions. Just trying to get my head wrapped around this process.

That confuses me and brings up more questions that you may or may not want to answer. :) If AnyDVD doesn't authenticate and PowerDVD or whatever player is brought up to play the disc, won't that player then do the authentication because the disc is still encrypted at that point?
I believe you're right, the driver will be switched to "pass through", and if you start playback, ... :eek:
I'll think of something. ;)

Back