• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AVC/H264 vs. MPEG4

knf67

I convert for the PSP and am trying to determine what the differences are between AVC/H264 & MPEG4 and would appreciate any feedback from the community.

I have tried both at the default quality of 15 for AVC/H264 and 23 for MPEG4. While the video appeared similar, I think the MPEG4 was a little better. However the AVC/H264 file was 35% smaller but over twice as long to convert (Just ripped Thin Red Line 2:50 movie - 3:45 to convert AVC/H264 at 15 quality - 1:13 to convert MPEG4 at 23 quality ).

Has anyone experimented with the two format? Any experiences out there? What quality level looks best? Is there a difference on sound?

If file size is the only good thing, I don't know that it is worth the extra time.

Last edited:
Anyone out there have any experiences they could share?

Anybody at all?

Last edited:
I would have thought by now there would be someone who has tested this.

My guess is that they are just playing around to see how messed up they can make everyone. Justifying their existence. Especially since NOBODY seems to have any idea what the differnce between these formats is.

hey knf67, you are referring to the psp profiles (>= 2.6), right?

h264 is an advanced version of the mpeg4 standard. the iso/iec mpeg calls this standard MPEG-4/AVC (Advanced Video Coding) or MPEG-4/Part 10, ISO/IEC 14496-10.

the default quality for the h264 (aka mpeg4-avc) profile is 15, while the default for mpeg4 is 23. that is why the h264 (aka mpeg4-avc) produces smaller files. on a psp the quality difference is not that big, so using h264 simply saves space.
the h264 codec is more advanced, though. if you set it to quality 23, the file will only be a little smaller than with mpeg4, but the picture quality is better.

the h264 encoding takes considerably longer.

It's been my experience that h264 will consume more battery power as it requires more processing to decode the video. It may not be an issue for you, but worth considering if you plan on watching movies on an international flight. :D

Back