• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Attempting to mount .udf file does nothing

abeall

I'm trying to mount a .udf file with Virtual CloneDrive on Windows XP sp3. When I double click the file or right click and choose Open With > Mount Files with Virtual CloneDrive, I get an hourglass for a split second then nothing happens.

The strange thing is that it was working a moment ago before I rebooted. I've rebooted a dozen times since, removed and re-installed Virtual CloneDisk several times, and I still get the same results.

What should I do next?

I have no idea what or where the problem is. I have no .UDF files nor do I have a way to create any to test with.

Is there any chance I could get a hold of another format to test, just to see if the format has anything to do with it?

At this point I'm thinking it's something to do with my machine and how it's interacting with the software. I was able to get it to work fine before, and on another machine (Vista 32bit) it's still able to mount the same .udf files fine.

Is there any chance I could get a hold of another format to test, just to see if the format has anything to do with it?

At this point I'm thinking it's something to do with my machine and how it's interacting with the software. I was able to get it to work fine before, and on another machine (Vista 32bit) it's still able to mount the same .udf files fine.

Create an ISO file and mount it. Many programs can create ISO files including the AnyDVD ripper via Rip to Image..., CloneDVD, CloneCD, ImgBurn, etc.

I downloaded an ISO file:

http://bouncer.gentoo.org/fetch/gentoo-2008.0-minimal/x86/

It does the same thing. The ISO file has the sheep icon, Open With shows "Mount Files with Virtual CloneDisk" but when I do so, nothing happens. No error, hang, sound, or anything. As I recall from when it worked ealier, a drive letter would appear in My Computer which represented the virtually mounted DVD.

If I look at Device Manager or Properties > Hardware is shows "ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI CdRom Device".

For what it's worth, I have two disk drives (C and D), two DVD/CD drives, and a bunch of other USB and card reader devices.

I use Vista x64 and Virtual Sheep doesn't work under x64. I always just have 1 virtual drive enabled and double-click on the image to mount it. Using Open with and Mount with Virtual CloneDrive works for me, as well.

This makes me wonder if it's a possible bug or whether there was a problem during installation. Try disabling Virtual Sheep and set the number of drives to 1. Then try to mount an image and see what happens.

There should be no issues with other devices. I have 4 internal HDDs, 3 internal ODDs, 1 external HDD via USB, a combo floppy & 8-in-1 card reader that shows up as 3 drive letters (uses the floppy cable & an internal USB connection), a printer via USB that has a drive letter, another external USB card reader, etc.

Last edited:
That didn't seem to make a difference.

I also looked at Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management and noticed that it does not show the Virtual CloneDisk there, only my C and D drives, and my two card reader drives (G and H). The odd thing is that it does not show my two physical CD/DVD drives either, until I put a CD/DVD in them.

That didn't seem to make a difference.

I also looked at Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management and noticed that it does not show the Virtual CloneDisk there, only my C and D drives, and my two card reader drives (G and H). The odd thing is that it does not show my two physical CD/DVD drives either, until I put a CD/DVD in them.

I've never experienced that under XP or Vista. Regardless of a disc being present or the drive being empty all of my drives show up under Disk Management.

You could try uninstalling VCD altogether and begin from scratch. Does the behavior continue when VCD isn't present in terms of the other drives not appearing? If so then you may have a deeper issue.

Yeah, I've tried uninstalling and re-installing Virtual CloneDisk several times.

One thing that comes to mind is a reboot my computer made without my permission. It rebooted while VCD had one of these images mounted, and I'm beginning to wonder if something about that has messed up VCD, since the image was never unmounted properly as far as I know. I would think that uninstalling and re-installing would fix that, but since uninstall usually leaves a lot of stuff behind, maybe the conflict just hasn't been resolved. Can you advise on a manual cleanup process, ie files to delete on my machine to completely purge the existence of VCD or mounted disk images?

Yeah, I've tried uninstalling and re-installing Virtual CloneDisk several times.

One thing that comes to mind is a reboot my computer made without my permission. It rebooted while VCD had one of these images mounted, and I'm beginning to wonder if something about that has messed up VCD, since the image was never unmounted properly as far as I know. I would think that uninstalling and re-installing would fix that, but since uninstall usually leaves a lot of stuff behind, maybe the conflict just hasn't been resolved. Can you advise on a manual cleanup process, ie files to delete on my machine to completely purge the existence of VCD or mounted disk images?

That's one a developer is better off answering.

Last edited:
OK, thanks. Where might I be able to get help on that?

Is there another piece of software out there which allows me to mount .udf files?

Heh, okay. :)

Can you recommend any other free software to mount a .udf file? I've tried a couple virtual DVD apps but they didn't seem to support .udf files, even when they said they did (for instance daemon tools.)

DAEMON Tools doesn't claim it would support .udf files.
DT only supports the following:
  • b5t (BlindWrite images)
  • b6t (BlindWrite images)
  • bwt (BlindRead images)
  • ccd (CloneCD images)
  • cdi (DiscJuggler images)
  • cue (Cue sheets)
  • iso (Standard ISO images)
  • mds (Media Descriptor Files)
  • nrg (Nero images)
  • pdi (Instant CD/DVD images)
  • isz (Compressed ISO images)

I was able to get it working using ImDisk Virtual Disk.

Back