• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

ATI Anti Pop

Hey all,

Still think it would be a good idea if the tool itself could do this, but for those interested here is a .vbs script that seems to work.

You will need to save the anti-pop fix to %SystemDrive%\Progra~1\Slysoft\ATI_Fix\ or change the path as you wish in the script. Then all you need to do is start the script on system boot.

It is currently set to poll for an active screensaver every 15 seconds. It kills the fix if the screensaver is active and activates it again when the screensaver is inactive, but we might be able to bring that down to 10 secs or less. Need to see if it has any impact on performance, although I doubt it.

No need to lock the PC when the screensaver activates.

EDIT: New version! See post below.

Last edited:
Here is a script anyone can use to automate control of James' workaround. James' workaround on its own prevents a PC from sleeping or hibernating. This script will allow sleep/hibernate to function normally whilst eliminating the "silent stream bug".

This is how you use it:

- Install James' fix to %SystemDrive%\Program Files\Slysoft\ATI_Fix\ (or, if you are adventurous, alter this location in the script)
- Set any screensaver to start at least 1 minute before your desired sleep/hibernate time. If you don't really like/want a screensaver, this could be as simple as a single full screen photo saying something like "getting ready to sleep", in a folder by itself pointed to using the built in "photos" screensaver, set to trigger just 1 minute before the PC sleeps.
- Set this script to run on system boot, e.g. put a shortcut to it in your Startup folder
- you are done!

I have improved on my old script. See attached.

This one:

- Does less work after the first loop, when the PC is active (no screensaver). It simply checks to see if a screensaver has become active. Previously, on every loop, if the screensaver was not active it would check if the ATI Fix was running and, if not, start it. Now it assumes it did its job the first time!

- Has a different polling interval when a screensaver is active to when one is not. When a screensaver is active it polls every 2 seconds to see if it has stopped. This ensures the ATI Fix is activated no more than 2 seconds after exiting the screensaver. When a screensaver is inactive, and the PC is in active use, the polling interval drops to 1 minute to minimise resource utilisation.

Jon

Code:
Set objShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Set locator = CreateObject("WbemScripting.SWbemLocator")
Set service = locator.ConnectServer()

Do

' Start ATI Silent Stream Fix if not already running

ATI_fix_Processcount = 0
	Set ATI_Fix_colProcesses = service.ExecQuery _
	    ("Select * from Win32_Process Where name = 'ATI-anti-pop.exe'")

For Each objProcess in ATI_Fix_colProcesses 
		ATI_fix_Processcount = ATI_fix_Processcount + 1
	Next

IF ATI_fix_Processcount = 0 then  objShell.Run "%SystemDrive%\Progra~1\Slysoft\ATI_Fix\ATI-anti-pop.exe", 0

' Check to see if a screensaver has become active

scr_Processcount = 0
	Do

WScript.Sleep 60000
		Set scr_colProcesses = service.ExecQuery _
		    ("Select * from Win32_Process")

For Each objProcess in scr_colProcesses
		 IF Right(objProcess.Name, 4) = ".scr" then scr_Processcount = scr_Processcount +1
		Next

Loop While scr_Processcount = 0

' When a screensaver has become active terminate all instances of the ATI fix

Set ATI_Fix_colProcesses = service.ExecQuery _
    ("Select * from Win32_Process Where name = 'ATI-anti-pop.exe'")

For Each objProcess in ATI_Fix_colProcesses 
		objProcess.Terminate()
	next

' Check to see if no screensavers are running

Do

scr_Processcount = 0
		WScript.Sleep 2000
		Set scr_colProcesses = service.ExecQuery _
			("Select * from Win32_Process")

For Each objProcess in scr_colProcesses
			IF Right(objProcess.Name, 4) = ".scr" then scr_Processcount = scr_Processcount +1
		Next

Loop Until scr_Processcount = 0

' When no screensavers are running loop to the top to restart the ATI Fix

Loop

Attachments

• Anti-Pop_fix_control.zip
    697 bytes · Views: 14
Last edited:
I've just installed the 8.761 beta drivers, and it looks like ATI have finally fixed the silent stream bug. So the "anti-pop" is no longer required....

Can anyone else test to confirm?

No, I can't confirm that at all. If you're referring to Catalyst 10.7, silent stream is as prevalent as ever.

That's good news, but, I'll wait for the official 10.8 driver at the end of the month.

Nice Find - I can confirm that this ATI HDMI Driver has fixed the silent stream issue and that the stream from the PC stays at the last format used (eg LPCM 5.1, PCM2.0 etc). The is a short drop when you change formats (eg from LPCM 5.1 to PCM 2.0 etc)

If it stays on the last used format then it's not really fully fixed though. It should go back to whatever you set in the Windows Sound panel. Still good, I don't think Nvidia will ever fix theirs. ATI fixed it before with the 4000 series, so this one was likely to be fixed as well.

Last edited:
True - but in practice it works pretty well.

I'm saying cause I play a game on 7.1 channels... I'm not sure what you meant though, does it stay on whatever exclusive mode left it then? So for instance, I have Windows set at 7.1, play a stereo file on exclusive mode, stop it, and then play the game which doesn't use exclusive mode, will it be in stereo now?

Just tested by using WASAPI Exlcusive playback to put it into 2.0 (Windows Default is 5.1). When the track finished in stayed in 2.0 but immediatly changes back to the default 5.1 setting if I play anthing using DirectSound (event tested a "beep" in windows sounds and get the same result).

So in summary, the behaviour of the new ATI HDMI Audio Driver
1) WASAPI Exclusive will change the channel config to the number of acitve audio channels
2) DirectSound will use the Windows default channel config
3) The card will continue to hold the audio link at the last used channel configuration
4) There is a slight audio drop when changing from one channel config to another (but I still heard my windows "beep")
5) Not impacted by S3 sleep!

Thanks
Nathan

Last edited:
cool that's pretty much how it should work I think the best we can hope for at least.

Yup - I was not one "annoyed" buy silent stream anyway but now there is little reason to want the the Realteck driver...

Yup - I was not one "annoyed" buy silent stream anyway but now there is little reason to want the the Realteck driver...

Have you tried TMT3 bluray bitstreaming? Cause Rathbone at AVS is saying that this is a fake repackaged Realtek driver.

Why would anyone......anyway - I can confirm it is currenly working with Reclock and TMT decoding at 48K/24Bit over HDMI/PAP on my HD5450 (I'm a decoder not a bitstreamer), which I did not think the Relteck driver would do. I'll have to check other high res tracks (eg 96k/24Bit) later.....

Yeah that's right. vladd also confirmed it's not the Realtek driver, but there might be two different packages from what I can tell. I'm not using the 5770 anymore though, so it's just curiosity on my part. I can only dream of Nvidia fixing this on their end.

Yup - just had a play. It's an ATI driver all right (unless all the "ATI" driver decriptions have been modified).
Thanks
Nathan

FYI - What I have found (and I don't think it is the ATI Driver related) is I've list 96kz playback from TMT but I'll post seperatly...

Ok, I bit the bullet and installed this beta driver even though it goes against my better instincts. My findings aren't nearly as good as everyone else's. First, TMT 185 works fine. Hurray. However, the silent stream bug is NOT fully fixed! For me, I have to play a windows sound to establish a connection and then it MIGHT stick for a while. Great. However, once I exit TMT, the connection breaks again and I have to play a windows sound to make it stick again. :bang: That's not what I consider "fixed".

Back