• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

ASUS or LG Blu Ray Burner?

Atrocity79

Hello everyone. New to the forum. Looking to get some feedback on some Blu Ray burners.

Buying from NewEgg.com but can't decide which burner to buy. I've seen a ASUS and LG drive that fit my budget. There are some Lite On drives but I read before I registered to stay away from those drives.

ASUS BW-12B1ST or LG WH12LS39

Which would you recommend? ASUS or LG

I can't make recommendations but i can tell you the BW-12B1ST is a LiteOn iHBS112 rebadge.

At the risk of jinxing my burner, I will back the choice of an LG burner. I have an LG BE12LU30 and it's been working for over a year with a couple of hundred burns. Previous to that, I had several cheap Panasonic BD burners that failed within a year. Often a Panasonic will be hiding inside another vendors outer packaging so you have to look at the driver info to find out what who the actual manufacturer is.

If you're buying an external burner, choose one of the desktop style ones versus the slim laptop style. That way if it fails, you can keep the old enclosure and just replace the drive with another 'internal 5 1/2" style' drive and save about 2/3 the cost of a complete replacement. You can do that with the external slim drives too, but the replacement drive is a larger percentage of a complete replacement including the enclosure, and more delicate to deal with. :)

There is nothing wrong with the Lite On burners. The iHBS112-2 04 is a good burner with the latest flash update. Probably more Lite On drives sold in the world as a whole than LG.

There is nothing wrong with the Lite On burners. The iHBS112-2 04 is a good burner with the latest flash update. Probably more Lite On drives sold in the world as a whole than LG.

On the Blu-ray side I doubt it, LG Blu-ray drives have been round longer and have been very reliable from day one with massive sales worldwide

LG all the way, and they have software programs to do firmware updates on their products to make it easy and fast.8)

There is nothing wrong with the Lite On burners. The iHBS112-2 04 is a good burner with the latest flash update.

The LiteOn drives are plagued with weird firmware bugs. I had to add various workarounds in AnyDVD to compensate.

Back