• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Asus...helping the HTPC BD/HD DVD crowd

...After installation I found the the PureVideo function does not work out of the box. I had to download a PureVideo driver from Nvidia from their website under a 30 day free trial. After installing the drivers , the PureVideo fuction was enabled.
There are two different PureVideo sytems and two different ways they work.

The old PureVideo is exactly what you described. It actually is NOT designed for high definition, although can be very helpful. Works on 6 and later series video cards, trial has an expiration time, can be used by any DirectShow media player (comes also as part of the TheatreTek player). I.e. you pay NVidia and use any way you want it.

The latest is PureVideo HD. It can be downloaded from NVidia and installed for free but can be taken advantage off only by using a certified player (e.g. PowerDVD). This version works only on the 8 series NV video cards. I.e. you pay the player manufacturer and only this player will be able to use it.

Diogen.

Last edited:
So I don't need to install it. I have a license for it that I bought a while back and it was great for DVD playing at the time. I haven't needed it in quite a while. But with my new card PowerDVD claims it's running with PureVideo so I didn't see the need to install anything else. You say you can download it for free(the PureVideo HD) from Nvidia's site but I can't find any download for it.

You say you can download it for free(the PureVideo HD) from Nvidia's site but I can't find any download for it.
According to this
http://www.nvidia.com/object/purevideo_hd_faq.html
it is simply part of the video drivers
Q. What do I need to have the best experience playing Blu-ray or HD DVD movies on a PC?
To enjoy the ultimate HD DVD or Blu-ray experience on a PC, you’ll need:

-PCI Express graphics card with secure HDCP CryptoROM and GeForce 7 Series HDCP-capable GPU with 256MB of graphics memory or GeForce 8 Series HDCP-capable GPU with 128MB of graphics memory
-NVIDIA ForceWare graphics drivers that feature PureVideo HD technology
-An optical disc drive that supports Blu-ray and/or HD DVD movie playback
-Blu-ray or HD DVD movie player software with PureVideo HD hardware acceleration of H.264, VC-1, and MPEG-2 high-definition content
-A dual-core CPU is recommended with the GeForce 7 Series
-1GB of system memory is recommended under Windows XP; 2GB is recommended under Windows Vista.

It actually talks about 7 series also working.

Diogen.

Last edited:
Ok, that's what I thought, but, when you said there was a download for it I started to wonder. Yea, it's working great for me. HD DVD playback is phenomenal, HDTV transport streams over the network work like a charm, and UT3 at 1080p on my 50" LCoS TV isn't a horrible experience. :D I couldn't be happier with this card. Looks like they updated the driver since I first installed, too, so, we'll see what that actually does for me.

Back