• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

ASUS BW-16D1HT in a OWC Mercury Pro enclosure not being recognized by my laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominick_7

Hi, i'm using an ASUS BW-16D1HT in a OWC Mercury Pro enclosure, i plugged in the enclosure to the wall for power, then plugged in the USB to the Sky X7 Eurocom laptop, but it doesn't come up anywhere in file explorer, device manager or anywhere else. The enclosure and drive turn on, i can push the button to open the tray and close it, it sounds like it reads it but nothing occurs in the laptop, it doesn't seem to detect it at all. i tried to open up the enclosure, spray air to get any dust out, reconnected the connectors, reseated the drive in the enclosure, replugged in everything but still nothing. i can plug in another slim Blu Ray enclosure and it gets recognized, but not this one for some reason. Is there something i can do to get it to work? i have MakeMK installed, would installing Redfox/AnyDVD help?

I have the exact same drive and enclosure, for me it works. Maybee reboot or look for updates.

I have the exact same drive and enclosure, for me it works. Maybee reboot or look for updates.
it used to work but we had a move, so im wondering if something broke? trying to figure out what is if it is broken.. i also reinstalled winsdows 10 to repair it so not sure if that did it too..? only update is windows 11 which i dont want..but if its driver related i wonder if that might fix it..?

i also reinstalled winsdows 10
Then a driver might not be there yet, but I don't think so. I hadn't need to do anyhing extraordinary to get it it to work, it should be Plug and Play.

does it need to be connected via sata
You put the drive into the enclosure, screw everything together, connect the USB and the power plug and then turn the power switch on. Then it should show up in Explorer already. If so, you can now insert the disc.

You put the drive into the enclosure, screw everything together, connect the USB and the power plug and then turn the power switch on. Then it should show up in Explorer already. If so, you can now insert the disc.
as stated in the op i did all that, but nothing shows up.. Shin Godzilla blu ray is in there.. but nothing.

Can you take the drive out of the case and attach it to SATA. so will see if the drive is dead or the enclosure. I would bet the drive. My first LG drive died after 2 years.

Do you hear the dongle when you connect your drive? If not, you should test the cable with an other device.
If you hear the dongle, your drive could be found wrong. May be as a HDD. I never had this issue but I consider it possible in windows.

Can you take the drive out of the case and attach it to SATA. so will see if the drive is dead or the enclosure. I would bet the drive. My first LG drive died after 2 years.
Open / close works - So i would hope that it is an defective data cable. If the test with direct plug to SATA fails, the culprit is the drive.

...and if you only have a Laptop and can't connect to SATA: Maybe you have an older DVD drive or some old hard disk laying around. Then replace the ASUS with one of those and connect the OWC to the computer. If this works with the other drives then the OWC is still OK and the problem is the ASUS drive.

by sata do you mean that flat input you directly connect a hard drive to like in a pc? hope this laptop has one,
its a laptop as stated in the op.. is that possible to do w a laptop?

Last edited:
Do you hear the dongle when you connect your drive? If not, you should test the cable with an other device.
If you hear the dongle, your drive could be found wrong. May be as a HDD. I never had this issue but I consider it possible in windows.
wdm mean by hearing the dongle? im hoping its the cable.. wdym by it may be as a hard drive?

Open / close works - So i would hope that it is an defective data cable. If the test with direct plug to SATA fails, the culprit is the drive.
i hope its also just the cable, can i do that w a laptop that lacks an internal disk drive?

...and if you only have a Laptop and can't connect to SATA: Maybe you have an older DVD drive or some old hard disk laying around. Then replace the ASUS with one of those and connect the OWC to the computer. If this works with the other drives then the OWC is still OK and the problem is the ASUS drive.
ah i have an LG BH16NS40 manufacture date of 2020 to put in the enclosure. i was told to not use it because it may be too old and uhds may not work with it. ill try that.

ah i have an LG BH16NS40 manufacture date of 2020 to put in the enclosure. i was told to not use it because it may be too old and uhds may not work with it. ill try that.
Replace the drive in the enclosure with the other one and put a DVD in it. If that works most likely the drive which is in the enclosure now is dead. If both drives don't work most likely the OWC is defective.

hope its also just the cable, can i do that w a laptop that lacks an internal disk drive?
If ripping worked before you should be able to do it now. Perhaps your laptop is with an SATA direct plug. I 'm really not familar with laptops. I only have desktop machines 🤷‍♂️
Your thoughts about a too old drive for UHD reading can be solved by checking the build in chipset. A 2020 drive should be good for this, I think. @coopervid made a guide for flashing drives and posted all importent things about this. You should have a look at it.

Replace the drive in the enclosure with the other one and put a DVD in it. If that works most likely the drive which is in the enclosure now is dead. If both drives don't work most likely the OWC is defective.
i tried both drives in the enclosure, on two different laptops, so i guess that means its either the OWC enclosure or the cable right? If both drives open and try to play, how could it unless power was going through the enclosure, so does that mean its the cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back