• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Asus BW-16D1HT fatal error

zaockle

Yeah, so this happened tonight.

E6-Em-ABi-Vc-AEr-Gk-C.jpg

Started ripping (Rip Video Disk to Harddisk) The Dark Knight UHD (USA), was proceeding ok so I went downstairs to make food. Well about 5 minutes later I hear a loud bang from upstairs, so I go and check and see the front of the drive partially open. I look closer and notice there a bits of plastic sticking out. Turns out the disc freaking exploded.

There was a read error prompt on my screen so clearly it was really trying to read this and whatever speed the drive was going at caused the disc to fail. Luckily it wasn't a super rare disc or anything.

My main question is, where did I fuck up? Should I have ripped the disc to an ISO instead? Should I have had Speed Control enabled in AnyDVD? I'm slightly frightened by this since I was about to start backing up my entire 400+ disc collection to a RAID array.

Definitely going to return it to Amazon, but should I get a replacement? Did I just get a really bad drive?

I have no expierence with this, but if you never had any issues with the drive, it is probably the disc.
Try to return it to Amz and replace it. If the new disc works it might has been the disc.

Yeah, so this happened tonight.

View attachment 58629

Started ripping (Rip Video Disk to Harddisk) The Dark Knight UHD (USA), was proceeding ok so I went downstairs to make food. Well about 5 minutes later I hear a loud bang from upstairs, so I go and check and see the front of the drive partially open. I look closer and notice there a bits of plastic sticking out. Turns out the disc freaking exploded.

There was a read error prompt on my screen so clearly it was really trying to read this and whatever speed the drive was going at caused the disc to fail. Luckily it wasn't a super rare disc or anything.

My main question is, where did I fuck up? Should I have ripped the disc to an ISO instead? Should I have had Speed Control enabled in AnyDVD? I'm slightly frightened by this since I was about to start backing up my entire 400+ disc collection to a RAID array.

Definitely going to return it to Amazon, but should I get a replacement? Did I just get a really bad drive?
if that happened the way you describe it then YES.
How the data is ripped is irrelevant since the packing is done as a folder or iso on the computer and not in the drive. If the drive fails then it just fails but I haven't seen anything like that before.:eek:

I heard aboout mechnical failures of discs before but luckily it never happened to me. You did nothing wrong and it's also not a drive issue at all.

The last time I saw this is many years ago.

Most properly the disc already had a structural defect. With the disc drive spinning fast, this could have led to the exploded disc.
Make sure that you can get all parts of the disc out of the drive before using it again.
As left parts might damage the drive itself.

I asked for a replacement disc from the manufacturer, but never got a reply...

The last time I saw this is many years ago.

Most properly the disc already had a structural defect. With the disc drive spinning fast, this could have led to the exploded disc.
Make sure that you can get all parts of the disc out of the drive before using it again.
As left parts might damage the drive itself.
I'm not even going to chance it with the drive. I just got it this past Friday off Amazon, so I am going to initiate a return with them.

I heard aboout mechnical failures of discs before but luckily it never happened to me. You did nothing wrong and it's also not a drive issue at all.
Just to make sure let me ask you this. I followed your guide for flashing UHD drives for anydvd. Should I have uninstalled MakeMKV afterwards just in case there was a conflict? I don't think this was part of the situation, but just curious for when I have to flash the replacement drive.

Just to make sure let me ask you this. I followed your guide for flashing UHD drives for anydvd. Should I have uninstalled MakeMKV afterwards just in case there was a conflict? I don't think this was part of the situation, but just curious for when I have to flash the replacement drive.
No, there is no disadvantage keeping Makemkv. Just be aware of this situation described by samuriHL:
https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/warning-anydvd-libredrive-bad.78839/

Back