• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

ASUS BW-16D1HT Dead? :(

Tanquen

About 2 years ago I got an Asus BW-16D1HT as a backup to the now 8 year old LG WH14NS40.

Out of nowhere the Asus can no longer finish an AnyDVD Rip to Image without getting stuck and not being able to read a part of the disk. Sometimes I can restart and have it finish but if I just put it in the old LG it works. :(

Until just now they both read all the same discs and if there was a problem disc they both could not read it.

Anyway, any suggestions on the replacement to the replacement? I only got the Asus because the LG was getting old and I wanted to have a backup and being able to read two discs at once has been handy.

They both have an Asus firmware, 3.01 on the LG and 3.02 on the Asus.

Last edited:
I don't really have a good suggestion. I gave up on desktop drives a long time ago. I bought a bu40n official drive and use that to rip to iso. Takes a little longer but the results are worth it. But this solution isn't for everyone.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

I did get the BU40N and you helped me get it working but I got it to help with bad discs but I never saw one that was readable on one drive and not the others and it's harder to keep up with MakeMKV and setup the external drive when I want to use it so it's just a backup to the back up I guess.

I guess I'll just look for another LG AnyDVD friendly drive. I'm really surprised the Asus just died like that. :(

I'm not. Drive quality these days SUCKS. Badly. When I was still doing desktop drives, I got the NS60 drives, and flashed them with whatever firmware I wanted. You can make them friendly. Try to keep the firmware "in the family" if possible. Meaning, don't try cross flashing ASUS with LG and vice versa if you can help it. It'll work, but, if you're into burning discs it could cause you some issues. Grabbing an NS60 and tossing the NS40 firmware on it will make it friendly and work with AnyDVD.

I got a new WH16NS40 last night and put the MK WH16NS40-NS50 1.05 firmware on it.

I started to rip a UHD and when I came back to check on it the AnyDVD had stopped at 49% with a bad sector error. For the first time ever the retry worked and it finished the disc.

Now I'm wondering if I have a bad SATA cable or something.

The Asus would never recover once it showed a read error.

It's certainly possible. Couldn't hurt to change the cable and/or port it's on.

It seems to have been a random happening. Done a few more discs with no issue.

I do see that the speed of the WH16NS40 (55 minutes for 65GB ISO) is a bit slower that the WH14NS40 (42 minutes for same 65GB ISO). Would that be because of the different firmware? Asus on the WH14NS40 and LG MK on the WH16NS40.

The fastest is the ASUS 3.10 MK. For very problematic discs use the ASUS 3.02. It stays longer at slow read rates if reading is a problem.

Clean all your UHD discs before putting them into a drive. Most - also new discs - have an invisible film on them that makes them hard to read. I wash them with liquid soap and warm water and then clean them again using a microfiber cloth.

Thanks for the info. When I have a bad disc I always try cleaning them with lens microfiber cloth and warm water but that has only worked once or twice. Never used soap though.

The Asus that died did have the Asus 3.02 firmware but with it and two other drives I never had a bad disc that any of them could read. Bad on one, bad on all for me. :(

The old LG has Asus 3.01 so not the fastest or best at bad discs? I will try the ASUS 3.10 MK but wonder if it would be worth it to put ASUS 3.02 on one?

I thought it would be best to stay the LG firmware but I guess that only helps if I want to burn discs.

I had always trouble with LG firmware and switched to ASUS for both of my LG drives. I use 3.10 for "normal purposes" and 3.02 on the other in an enclosure for "difficult purposes".

...and if you want to burn discs: No issue with 25GB discs at all using ASUS firmware on the LGs. But in general the LG family including ASUS are lousy burners for 50GB discs. You would need a Pioneer drive and burn at slowest speed. If you want to know more about this I can provide some links regarding that subject.

It's almost assuredly triple layer discs you're having trouble reading. And there's not a whole lot you can do about it with desktop drives.

It's almost assuredly triple layer discs you're having trouble reading. And there's not a whole lot you can do about it with desktop drives.
I made it with all triple layer discs with my 5,25" drives.

Consider yourself blessed. Buy a lottery ticket.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. The only prize I ever got from a lottery was a scratchy blanket and I had put it right into the garbage afterwards. No, lottery is not my thing.
It looks like I'm better with discs. You can call me a "gold washer". :rolleyes:

I used the ASUS-BW-16D1HT-3.10-WM01601-211901041014 firmware and the WH16NS40 now seems to be the same speed as the WH14NS40. Thanks.

I thought the WH16NS40 would be a little faster but 42 minutes is better than 55 minutes.

Back