ASUS BC-12D2HT firmware

Discussion in 'CD/DVD/BD Drives' started by pronto, Sep 7, 2018.

1. pronto

pronto Active Member

I've obtained a ASUS BC-12D2HT friendly drive and what i would like to know is how do i stop windows 10 from installing any future firmware updates that will then render this drive useless to me .... Unable to back up
    my 4k uhd blu-rays ....thank you

2. Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n Translator NL & Mod

You don't, cause windows never could and never can flash firmware updates to an optical drive. Only the drive manufacturer can issue firmware updates. Firmware is completely different from like a device driver (that tells windows how to operate a device, like audio or integrated CPU graphics)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

pronto likes this.
  3. pronto

pronto Active Member

ok i understand that but if say the manufacture issues a new driver could that possibly stop the ability for making 4k backups

4. Ch3vr0n

The manufacturer doesn't make drivers for optical drives. Windows does, and it has been the same generic driver for optical drives since the windows Vista days.

The manufacturer only issues firmware (that's present on the drive itself) which mainly tells the drive which discs are supported and at what burn/read spead.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

pronto likes this.
  5. pronto

pronto Active Member

the penny has dropped thanks Ch3vr0n

6. Ch3vr0n

Glad I could help. For the record, i do believe there is a firmware for that model that removed its friendlyness. But you'd have to consult Google on that part

Sent from my Nexus 7 with Tapatalk

whatever_gong82 and pronto like this.
  7. Terramex

Terramex Well-Known Member

Correct. Only 3.00 is friendly.

whatever_gong82 and pronto like this.