Asus 1612Bl 1st Three Sheep Writer?

Discussion in 'CD/DVD/BD Drives' started by Tschens Brems, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Tschens Brems

Tschens Brems Member

Hello,
    CDFreaks reviewed the Asus 1612BL DVD writer and concluded that it is a 3-sheep writer. As far as I am informed, this would be the very first time that a writer is able to write and read the sheep3.dat from the so called sheep test correctly.
    Can anyone confirm that? Would be THE safedisk killer!
    Tschens

http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Asus-DRW-1612BL-DVD-Burner-Review

2. Kipper

Kipper Beta Tester

USA Asus will be sending the new SATA 1614 in a couple of weeks, I will perform the sheep test as soon as I get the drive installed and give a short report here.

In the review that you link to, Megadeath reports it as a "3 sheep burner" and knowing him as I do, I would take his word on it. You could go to the sub-forum at CDF and ask for more information. Megadeath is pretty quick to answer questions.

3. Tschens Brems

Tschens Brems Member

[/B]
    Looking forward to your report. I think you mean the 1814 drive

4. Kipper

Kipper Beta Tester

5. RedFox 1

RedFox 1 Super Moderator

I can't wait to read that review Kipper. This looks very interesting.:clap:

6. Kipper

Kipper Beta Tester

Just finished up a review on the Memorex DVD+RAM 525GE external, based on the LG drive. Should have it published in a short time. I am looking forward to the Asus, it is their newest and a SATA.

7. TPLAT

TPLAT Well-Known Member

Let me know if the drive is worth buying, I`m looking for 1 more sata burner as I have room for one more burner and would prefer a sata one so I dont need to buy another ide controller card.

8. RedFox 1

RedFox 1 Super Moderator

Kippers review will tell all. I have read them before, his reviews are very comprehensive.:clap:

9. TPLAT

TPLAT Well-Known Member

Yes they are, he`s does a great job at it.:bowdown:

10. Kipper

Kipper Beta Tester

Thanks guys, glad you enjoy reading the reviews. I am looking forward to the Asus burner, gonna be a fun one to do.

11. Tschens Brems

Tschens Brems Member

Ok, I just bought an ASUS 1612BL and checked it with the Sheep-test. As I already expected - it is no 3 sheep writer (at least in my system).
    But it obviously is the very first REAL SD 2.9 writer I got so far (many many drives that are classified as SD2.9 writers by CD freaks are definitley NO 2.9 writers!!). And it backed up Doom 3 (SD 3.20.022 on CD) which none of my LiteOn or Plextors (I checked 4 LiteOns and 1 Plex so far) ever did.
    Experiments are running, not finished yet (see attached pic).
    Tschens

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  12. Tschens Brems

Tschens Brems Member

Any results for the 1814?

I updated the Sheep Test Results in my previous post (attachment).