• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

As Of Today...

Users know best

Many prefer LG drives as most reliable. In general avoid panasonic, pioneer, matshita and sony. 8)

I have a new pio drive that I replaced my aging lg with and love it.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

My newest Bluray DVDRW drive is an LG 14X drive. It was 59,99 on sale at the Egg. I have 3 of the LGs now all different and 1 Asus BD drive.;)

My first BD burner was a Lite-On. It is still going strong.

I hat to throw a spanner in the discussion, but I have two Pioneer BD drives and I almost hate to say it, both of them are brilliant. Both are getting old now but I'm very happy with them. Panasonic are the worst of all, don't buy any type of those, even if someone else is paying.
I've have one LG DVD Millenniata M Disc capable drive that works very well on DVD, but due to the huge price of M Discs, I haven't tried one of those yet.
So, maybe LG is the way to go. :)

Many prefer LG drives as most reliable. In general avoid panasonic, pioneer, matshita and sony. 8)

All LG drives are not created equal. I purchased a LG WH10LS30 and it turned out to be from some LG commercial division. It did not work well initially and new firmware was some time in coming. Now there have been two firmware updates and it's working okay but not great.

I have a Sony BWU-300S and it's great for ripping but not so great with the newer BD-DL media (CMCMAG DI6). I also have a Sony BD-5300S and it sucks as a ripper (before the first and only firmware update, .m2ts would rip with errors visible in playback; after the update, errors occur consistently with the .jar files) but it works great with the BD-DL media. I test by generating a PAR set with the Sony BWU-300S rip and checking that against the Sony BD-5300S rip for discrepancies.

I am fan of LG as well. Have total of five drive and still going strong. With latest one being "LG WH14NS40K Internal 14x Blu-Ray Burner - 128GB BDXL"

The madness continues :D

thoth560

I use a Buffalo brand BD burner (2.0) usb. It always performs flawlessly, on any brand disc. I use it ALOT-I don't know why more people don't use them. the only problems I've ever had is from some bonehead mistake I made somehow. Hope that helps.... thoth

I've used Lite On drives for years and have had great luck with them. I currently have two Lite On IHBS-112-04 drives and both are excellent at ripping. I have an ASUS USB 2.0 external Blu Ray burner that I use with my laptop and it does a really good job.

I have only one LG and thats a LG BH12LS30 I believe, and that's in my old computer I gave to my daughter. Rips slow, writes slow, got it on sale thank goodness. After that one, I always considered LG Blu Ray burners to be over rated, but that's my opinion.

I've used Lite On drives for years and have had great luck with them. I currently have two Lite On IHBS-112-04 drives and both are excellent at ripping. I have an ASUS USB 2.0 external Blu Ray burner that I use with my laptop and it does a really good job.

I have only one LG and thats a LG BH12LS30 I believe, and that's in my old computer I gave to my daughter. Rips slow, writes slow, got it on sale thank goodness. After that one, I always considered LG Blu Ray burners to be over rated, but that's my opinion.

Most likely, you purchased a discontinued model. Do a google search on the model number. Also, you mentioned that you installed the LG BD drive on an older computer. That could be another reason why it rips & writes slowly. I have an older LG BD and it has no problems with ripping or writing. I, also, have an older computer, but the only slowness I have is when I'm backing up my DVDs & BDs. I know that the slowness is from my CPU power. IMHO, Lite On drives are good (I use to have two of them), but the LG drives last alot longer and are more dependable. 8)

Most likely, you purchased a discontinued model. Do a google search on the model number. Also, you mentioned that you installed the LG BD drive on an older computer. That could be another reason why it rips & writes slowly. I have an older LG BD and it has no problems with ripping or writing. I, also, have an older computer, but the only slowness I have is when I'm backing up my DVDs & BDs. I know that the slowness is from my CPU power. IMHO, Lite On drives are good (I use to have two of them), but the LG drives last alot longer and are more dependable. 8)

Nope, sorry, your assumption is wrong. The BH12LS30 was the full retail version of the WH12LS30. The WH12LS30 is the OEM version that LG sells to places like NewEgg. The drives look exactly alike except for the firmware. The BH12LS30 was recently discontinued and updated to the BH14NS40 model, which NewEgg now sells as the full retail version, with the WH14NS40 model being the OEM version. The drive was purchased new, and put into the system I have now. After an evaluation of its read/write attributes, and how long it took to rip movies, even after a firmware update, it went to the computer I gave my daughter ( Intel Core i3) with 8GB of ram, and I put the slightly older Lite ON IHBS112 2-04 back into my Quad core Phenom and added another newer version one just like it to boot. The LG was just not as fast at ripping Blu Rays as the Lite Ons are, and did not have as much memory cache, and I get better disc compatibility. My experience with computer Blu Ray burners since they became available has been that the Lite On's last longer for me. All drives eventually do die, and I've had more Sony's die on me than any other brand, but for my personal use, I'll stick with Lite On.

Last edited:
Back