• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Apocolypto R2 question about how Anydvd ripper works

It does. The "linearity problem" with HD DVD / Blu-ray discs does not apply to standard DVDs.
AnyDVD ripper uses the filesystem for DVDs, it uses its own UDF reader for Blu-ray / HD DVD discs (as there is no UDF2.5 shipping with XP).
AnyDVD core works below the filesystem, so it uses its own UDF parser.

Thank you very much for the explanation!

AnyDVD ripper uses (as CloneDVD) the filesystem to access the disc.
AnyDVD core modifies the UDF structures so you can access the files through explorer. This is the right way to do, as you probably want to *watch* the original disc with your shiny multimedia PC using Zoom Player or TheaterTek.
A lot of these protected discs don't even play on the PC without AnyDVD running.

Sweet. Thanks for the info!

Just curious. Is this protection coming to the US?

Anyone know? I would hope if it's not here yet, that's it's not going to be.

Seems Sony uses Germany's people as test subjects. What a bunch of crap they have to put up with.

Anyone know? I would hope if it's not here yet, that's it's not going to be.

Seems Sony uses Germany's people as test subjects. What a bunch of crap they have to put up with.

This isn't a Sony protection as you know, so, it's difficult to say whether it'll go to other regions or not. It's LIKELY assuming there aren't too many problems with it. And, of course, there will be given how much this protection SUCKS. :D Anyway, there's no way to predict whether it'll find its way to other regions but a guess is that eventually, yea, it's probably going to happen.

I didn't know it didn't come from Sony. Thanks for clarification.

As I understand it, this copy protection is so far off the DVD standard that a lot of DVD players in Germany are having problems playing even the original. If that is the case, maybe it won't come here being there are so many more DVD players to contend with.

I'm not surprised that people are having problems. PCs have 0 chance of playing it without AnyDVD or ripping it to the hard drive with another solution as it corrupts the UDF file system. Stand alone players shouldn't be using the UDF file system, but, I'm guessing some of them are based upon cheap PC parts which will possibly run into this issue. Normal players use what I guess is called a "mini-udf" system. I'm not up on this stuff so I'm not the best to explain it, but, that's probably a close approximation of the truth. :D

I'm not surprised that people are having problems. PCs have 0 chance of playing it without AnyDVD or ripping it to the hard drive with another solution as it corrupts the UDF file system. Stand alone players shouldn't be using the UDF file system, but, I'm guessing some of them are based upon cheap PC parts which will possibly run into this issue. Normal players use what I guess is called a "mini-udf" system. I'm not up on this stuff so I'm not the best to explain it, but, that's probably a close approximation of the truth. :D

Regardless of what "normal dvd players use" (most only use UDF to find VIDEO_TS.IFO and calculate the positions of the other files from relative sector addresses), the DVD standard *requires* the UDF filesystem to be correct.
In other words: These DVDs are no DVDs (as far as the standard is concerned).

Regardless of what "normal dvd players use" (most only use UDF to find VIDEO_TS.IFO and calculate the positions of the other files from relative sector addresses), the DVD standard *requires* the UDF filesystem to be correct.
In other words: These DVDs are no DVDs (as far as the standard is concerned).

I thought with this protection the IFOs that show up in the UDF file system are corrupt? Like they show up as being over a gig in size?? I've yet to see any discs with that protection yet, so, I only know what I've read about it. As for them being outside the DVD standard, I completely :agree: ! It's absolutely ridiculous that they went this far. Thank God for you guys. :)

I thought with this protection the IFOs that show up in the UDF file system are corrupt? Like they show up as being over a gig in size??
Yes and yes.

That's just ridiculous then. They shouldn't be allowed to call it a DVD. And if it makes it to other regions, they may end up getting sued over it. That'd be sweet.

Back