• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

anystream muxing glitchy playback w/plex+apple tv4k

I'm not an expert on Plex, but this type of thing might be caused by the Plex server rendering the subs into video, instead of as a separate text stream for the client to interpret

Good guess but "direct play" in plex means the plex server just streams the bits. When subtitle render is done server side there is a full transcode which shows up in the logs and the playback details. I have this problem on a server that can handle 4K UHD disc rips without problems. It is either the subtitles or the muxing. I have a post-process script but for reasons I haven't dug into yet the 'srt' codec in ffmpeg adds oversized font size tags to the subtitles.

The Netflix and Disney sourced files are fine. It isn't a bitrate thing because I have had problems even with some SD amazon content.

One possibly relevant difference between Amazon and the other 2 is that Amazon host a lot of 3rd party content, and this is like itunes, it can be rubbish. So for instance although they will add sub tracks that you request, that doesnt mean there are no other sub tracks hanging round in the video stream that they havent bothered to take out.

I'm still pretty sure, that is a subtitle thing.
To confirm I downloaded 6 random movies, 2 from each provider.
Per provider I got one with and one without subtitles.
Played everything via Plex App on my Samsung TV
All movies without subtitles played fine, almost no loading times or buffering when skipping scenes
On the other hand all videos with subtitles had long initial loading times and the buffering while skipping were WAY longer than usual.

Before anyone asks, all were direct playing, no transcoding involved.

To sum this up, yes, it's a plex issue, since Plex does not fully support the subtitle format used in the mp4 files created by AS

From the Plex Page
The following formats are fully supported either as embedded tracks or external subtitle files. Full support means they are compatible with all Plex Apps, including clients that require transcoded media.

• SRT (.srt)
  • SMI (.smi)
  • SSA (or ASS) (.ssa or .ass)
  • WebVTT (.vtt)

That is why I asked, if it would be possible to support WebVTT subtitles in AS.
Of course there is the risk, that other devices/players won't support this format, since its quite new with the MPEG-Standard (2018 I think)

As I mentioned before, this decision is with the developers.

I am not at all trying be combative, just helpful. But are you sure it wasn't transcoding at all? You checked the dashboard and or something like Tautulli? As I have mentioned before, unless you have manually set Direct Play to force transcoding is still very possible.

My thought there was maybe transcode + subtitles is what's freaking Plex out and if you could avoid one of those it would be OK.

It's just a thought.

I am not at all trying be combative, just helpful. But are you sure it wasn't transcoding at all? Did you check the dashboard and or something like Tautulli? As I have mentioned before, unless you have manually set Direct Play to force transcoding is still very possible.

My thought there was maybe transcode + subtitles is what's freaking Plex out and if you could avoid one of those it would be OK.

It's just a thought.
Why would I think you were trying to be combative, you have been nothing but helpful in this forum. Did I do something to offend you, if I did, I truly apologize? If you don't mind please show me where I posted your quote. I can't remember posting that.
RedFox 1 said:

Last edited:
Reactions: DQ
Why would I think you were trying to be combative, you have been nothing but helpful in this forum. Did I do something to offend you, if I did, I truly apologize.

No you have not at all said anything like that! I was just being as polite as I could as I had gone back and forth on this topic a few times on here. I did not want to have anyone think I was arguing for the sake of arguing.

No worries either way. Was just trying help out. :)

No you have not at all said anything like that! I was just being as polite as I could as I had gone back and forth on this topic a few times on here. I did not want to have anyone think I was arguing for the sake of arguing.

No worries either way. Was just trying help out. :)
We all appreciate you help, but dont ever think I would be so brash.

Using Tautulli and the corresponding mobile app I can tell, it's not transcoding ;)
2021-06-02%2015_32_55.png

Why would I think you were trying to be combative, you have been nothing but helpful in this forum. Did I do something to offend you, if I did, I truly apologize? If you don't mind please show me where I posted your quote. I can't remember posting that.
We have a case of erroneous quoting here ... in #25 DQ was surely referring to my post :cool:

Back