AnyStream and the use of Pi-Hole - Important

Discussion in 'AnyStream' started by DQ, Sep 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DQ

DQ Well-Known Member

I run across this every so often and I just wanted to mention it so everyone is aware in the event it helps someone self solve an issue.

If you use Pi-Hole as your DNS server/filter, it will occasionally block lookups for the CDNs that Anystream is trying to access for the different providers.

So if you are having trouble pulling a playlist or a title in general, check your "query log" and look for blocked entries. You will generally find something (in red) with the word "cdn" in it. Whitelist it and that should solve your issue.

Again, I get this issue now and then so whenever AS fails for me the first thing I do is check Pi-Hole.

Thanks.

Wafflez19, MovieFan, mwb1100 and 3 others like this.
  2. DeepSpace

DeepSpace Well-Known Member

Yes, this is a known issue.
    Could it be a good idea to make a sticky with urls to whitelist so everyone using PiHole can simply add them from the beginning without to ever encounter the issue?

3. RedFox 1

RedFox 1 Super Moderator

It would be great if anybody read the stickies, but no one does. If we had a stickie for every issue, it would be 5 pages long.

nycedwardd and tmo1138 like this.
  4. DQ

DQ Well-Known Member

I don't think it would help because it's all very random and relative. It depends on what blocklists/filters you use and their updates and so on and so forth. I don't think there is any other way than, IF you have an issue, to check Pi-Hole first and go from there. It's a pain for sure but their are trade-off's to securing your network with things such as Pi-Hole. It's not set it and forget it (nothing with security should ever be) and it takes up-keep and massaging from time to time. Just the nature of it.

DeepSpace likes this.
  5. RedFox 1

RedFox 1 Super Moderator

Its good that you made this thread, this way if someone does a search, they will find it.

DeepSpace and DQ like this.
  6. RedFox 1

RedFox 1 Super Moderator

On second thought I will make it a stickie.

7. JCH.H

JCH.H Well-Known Member

This is good info - thanks!

RedFox 1 likes this.
  8. Idreams

Idreams Well-Known Member

Sorry for dumb question. what is Pi-Hole ?

mwb1100 likes this.
  9. RedFox 1

RedFox 1 Super Moderator

Google is your friend in situations like this.:sneaky:

JCH.H likes this.
  10. DeepSpace

A small device (Raspberry Pi) running a software (Pi-Hole), sitting in your network and managing the DNS Requests you do. If there is a request that matches one from a list that has been added as a filter rule it will block this request.
    In other words, it is a network wide ad blocker. Useful if you have devices like a Smart-TV were you might not be able to install any Adblocker or if you don't want to have different things on every device (like adblocker for your PC and things like Blockada or AdAway (requires Root)) on mobile.

11. Idreams

Idreams Well-Known Member

Thanks for the detailed info

DeepSpace likes this.
  12. MovieFan

MovieFan Well-Known Member

This sticky just saved my butt with Amazon! I couldn't figure out why Amazon was blocking AnyStream!

whatever_gong82 and DeepSpace like this.
  13. DQ

DQ Well-Known Member

This is correct but it over simplifies it. While it is a very lightweight piece of software it by no means is stuck being on a Pi. In fact I run it as a VM. While it does indeed perform ad blocking it goes way beyond that and blocks things under the categories of malicious, spam, security risks and even just telemetry. And that last sentence is why exactly it gives AS fits sometimes. It blocks so many things and you are somewhat reliant on it's classifications that it is fairly simple for their to be false positives.

For example my current setup has over 6 million domains within it's blocklists. So if you use Pi-Hole extensively , sometimes stuff gets blocked for no good reason and you just have to whitelist it. Again this seems to happen with CDN entries from time to time. But overall this is no more than an occasional nuisance and I consider the software a valuable part of my security posture.

MovieFan likes this.
  14. DeepSpace

Whilest I know that and you are correct, this was meant to be a simple explanation as this user seemed to have absolutely no clue about it. So I just said it manages the DNS requests and if it matches an entry on the list, it will block it.

This is new for me, never heard that. I don't want one anymore (thought of buying one at the beginning of this year) but maybe I could try it out in a VM.
    Maybe you saved me 100€.

DQ likes this.
  15. JCH.H

JCH.H Well-Known Member

Pi-hole will also run in Docker, so almost anywhere - Synology, QNAP, Windows, Mac. It doesn’t need much in the way of resources.

16. DeepSpace

I've heard about the Docker thing when I was looking for information about and how to set up Pi-Hole, but I did not understand or searched for further information about this.

But if you say it can also run on Windows, maybe I will check it out again.

17. JCH.H

JCH.H Well-Known Member

it'll run on Windows via Docker, not natively.

DeepSpace likes this.
  18. DeepSpace

Yes I meant that. But I only heard of a Docker at the Pi, not that it would run on windows. So I will have to look after it.

19. JCH.H

JCH.H Well-Known Member

DeepSpace likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.