• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Anyone try this Hardware to play ripped Blu-ray or HD DVD?

Octavean

Transcoded?

New WD Media Player Reviewed, Stripped Naked:

http://maddhat.com/?p=31

Has support for MPEG1/2/4, WMV9, AVI (MPEG4, Xvid, AVC), H.264, MKV, MOV (MPEG4, H.264)

no, but i will be picking one up later today. i have heard nothing but good things about it so far. I can let you know in a few days how it has been working if you wish. most interested in this part of the article.

"Finally, I tested a couple of Blu-Ray backups. The player would recognize an .ISO file, however it didn’t understand the Blu-Ray structure, so it would not play that particular file. I decided to extract the .m2ts from the .ISO image and test that, and to my surprise, it worked! This particular movie was encoded with AVC at a bitrate of around 30mbps. The WD TV played it without breaking a sweat. Fast motion and lots of action, with bitrate peaks of over 45mbps, and playback was flawless. I’m sold."

Last edited:
Extremely small unit for a hardware hi def player. Retail at $129.99 is a good price. Best Buy for $99?

I thought the article was a bit confusing. Would play an ISO built Blu-ray structure, but would NOT PLAY a compliant commercial Blu-ray structure?

Could only play Blu-ray from the M2TS files and not the Blu-ray structure.

Won't play TS files

But still, great competition against software players that are a pain in the #@*. With EVERY UPDATE of hi def software players comes more problems.

:agree:

Yeah I was thinking I would use it for AVCHD .ts files created buy my Hauppauge HD PVR but I don't really know if it would work since no .ts support. I can see someone using it as a quasi Blu-Ray player for thier collection on HDD. As we know software players are often updated not to play from the HDD so this could be a great solution for some.

Also those who have an underpowered PC could use something like this too.

I look foward to your review Rusty257. If you get a chance could you try playing one of those Hauppauge HD PVR .ts files floating around out there on the web?

I might get one of these babies yet ;)

Hey Fast Eddie that you from DSLR?

It would be perfect if it had component out instead of ancient composite but for the price I guess they had to cut something. I wonder if it will do MKV with h.264 and 6/8 channel flac.

I suppose I could do that, to save me the search time do you have a link for me?
Off to get it now. If it wont play TS I would hope just using TSmuxeR would fix that. I usually dont use ISOs anyway so all my m2ts files should work. I will report back once I have played with it a bit.

You can use eac3to to demux and remux (would that be called transmuxing?) from blu-ray directly to MKV. Its a command line tool that works great by itself and even better if you have nero 7 and arcsoft tmt installed for the audio codecs they provide. It will put the video into mkv and the audio into a flac file so you would need mkvtoolnix to combine them into a single file.

You can read all about it here http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=125966

Mkvtoolnix http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/

Edit: I noticed you were replying to octavean and not me after i posted LOL.

Last edited:
Insert BR
AnyDVD HD works
remove unwanted crap with tsMuxeR
down-convert to AC3
Copy to external HDD
Plug into fancy new WD TV
Play 1080p m2ts
Initiate smile!!!!!

Now granted I only watched the first 10 minutes of my file but it all worked like a charm. So far great product! Have not tested with HD audio.

Sure you can find some links here:

http://www.geektonic.com/2008/06/hauppauge-hd-pvr-unboxing-first-look.html

Just scroll down untill you see the following:

Here's some Sample Clips you can try out on your hardware:

1080i Clip from drama TV show - I recorded this late last night

1080i Clip from Sports News show - I recorded this one late last night also

720p Clips provided by reader "stein"

Additional ESPN clips provided by reader "stein"

and here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1015617&page=91

Thanks and good luck with the setup!

***edit***

good to hear it was that easy!!! Say goodby to BD / HD DVD software players designed not to work!!!

There is this bit over at the Hauppauge HD PVR support page:

In addition, this version of HD PVR software supports new features such as: record to M2TS for playback on the Sony PS3 (M2TS formats will require an updated Arcsoft Total Media Extreme, which will be in beta test soon).

So the Hauppauge HD PVR will soon be able to record directly to M2TS format rather then just .ts,....I guess but not now.

Last edited:
Let us know when you try some HD audio Rusty. I guess it will not play VC1 unless they consider that the same as WMV9?

1080i worked. I had to change the ts extension to m2ts for it to be recognized but then it played fine.

720p file is dl'ing.

No problems with the 4 espn 720p different quality setting clips, after changing to m2ts again.

i must say, i am liking this....hope others have good luck with it as well.

Last edited:
Outstanding!

Thanks alot man I had a feeling all that was needed was to change the file name!

Just think, a hardware Blu-ray player is less versatile and cost what,...~$200 to ~$400 USD. This thing could easily take the place of a hardware or software Blu-Ray player.

Outstanding!

Thanks alot man I had a feeling all that was needed was to change the file name!

Just think, a hardware Blu-ray player is less versatile and cost what,...~$200 to ~$400 USD. This thing could easily take the place of a hardware or software Blu-Ray player.
could you explain "change the file name" do you just put m2ts instead of ts?at the end of the file name?

Thats a big 10-4 there Pete.

Hope to try an .EVO file tonight.

Well yeah, thats what I think Rusty257 was saying and that is what I ment.

Yep, now you know what we know you know you know, you know?

It is a cool device. It has a bug with the FF and Rev. It jumps back at the wrong spot when you stop.
They said they are working out a fix and will have an update soon.

I just can;t get the BluRay audio 1 (english) track to play.

I am 3-4 with audio. One thing I have noticed about the one that didnt work was it was DTS HD lossless. I tried downcoverting with tsMuxeR. I just use HDMI for audio to TV. I can get the downcoverted audio to play if I use the optical port. No big deal for me, usually use that anyway.

No issues with FF and FR for me, except it freezes on the frame it was on when I FF so I need to guess where to stop it.

Back