• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Anyone have problem backing up The Mule?

LOL.., maybe I'm confusing it with Microwave Ovens. Which part of the egg cooks first? The white or the yolk? A bit like which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Go figure this one then, my second burn of 'The Mule' has a small blank un-burnt portion near the centre hole and a small unburnt portion on the outer rim, it's a single layer disc. Weird huh?

Interestingly when I use CloneBD to burn Blu-rays I get quite a large chunk of free space in the middle but none on the outer edge.

There will be a small unburned portion between the hole in the center and the actual start of data. It's more noticeable on BD-R's. I'm not entirely sure, but this may be the so called Lead In portion that's written at the start of optical burns.

BD-R used to do things like you describe for me. There would be small grooves of apparently unburned portions in the actual burned data. The discs would burn and read fine but would have these rings in the burned data. This was years ago and, far as I can tell, my LG WH16NS60's no longer do this like they used to.

I think you were right about the lead in portion but maybe discs can also have a lead out portion too. I actually asked about the unused portion on Blu-rays in this post Full Disc not utilised during recording | RedFox Forum @Ch3vr0n said it's completely normal. If discs did utilize all the free space they would be more prone to write errors which makes sense I suppose. I think it's probably more noticeable on some discs than others and depending on how much compression was required.

What I said then still holds true now

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks Ch3vr0n, it's a good job I remembered our conversation ;)

I finally took a photo to better explain the discussion with @dbminter so he could see what I'm talking about. You will see in the photo, the dark areas between the red lines towards the middle and the outer edges of the disc are unrecorded sections whereas the larger area between the inner and outer rims contain the burnt movie.

Referring to the inner dark lines specifically around the centre hole I believe the lighter of the two is quite possibly the 'lead in area' that you talk about. I see this on all DVD recordings I've made. The dark ring around the outer edge of the disc usually varies in size depending on the length of the movie. Hopefully others will find this helpful one day (y)

20220102_131050.jpg

Last edited:
On single layer discs, the area where you are most likely to encounter fatal errors is at the beginning, the inner area, or at the outer edge near the end.

Yes, the lighter area towards the outer edge is where burning ended. So that dye hasn't been burned to. It's, basically, unused portion because burning stopped there.

Yes, the lighter area towards the outer edge is where burning ended. So that dye hasn't been burned to. It's, basically, unused portion because burning stopped there.

I think you mean the darker edge is where burning ended but that's open to debate, in all honesty it depends on the angle of the disc when you look at it. The light refracts differently at different angles but that's neither here nor there.

I think I've flogged this post to death not to mention gone a little off topic so I'll end it there for now. Cheers! ;)

Back