• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD UHD Drives and Firmware Questions

And here is a picture of the second one I found in last years computer

Attachments

• 2018-02-17_18-00-53  I am finding these Friendly drives in all my old computer boxes..jpg
    2018-02-17_18-00-53 I am finding these Friendly drives in all my old computer boxes..jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 33
I gave you enough information to be able to know which drives were, at least initially, "UHD Friendly" by looking for drives that read BDXL and eliminating any drive that is listed as UHD Compatible (Official UHD Drive). Secondly, I pointed out that the model numbers that end in NS60 or NS68 are Official UHD Drives; so they are not useful for Ripping UHD Discs. It is not that hard to go to LG's website or Amazon's and look for BDXL Drives with Model Numbers that begin with WH or BH and end with NS40, NS50 or NS55. As far finding a drive with an SVC Code that ends in NS50 (SVC is a different number than the model number), was the more recent drives, but no online retailer will tell you in advance; order and find out (just like with whatever the drive's current firmware is). As far as Asus is concerned, the BW-16D1HT and the BW-16D1HT Pro were the most recent "Internal" BDXL Drives released. Part of the issue, is I am in the U.S. and I don't know where you are; so instead of listing a specific [LG] drive that is in the wrong region, I gave you enough information to figure it out quite easily! ;) The best firmware for the LG BH16NS55 is LG's 1.02 or Asus' BW-16D1HT 3.02 adapted for LG. Make sure you are comfortable with potentially "bricking" your drive when flashing modified firmware; if you are just learning this.

@TeddyRaspin has a great guide for dealing with Firmware: https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/dumping-downgrading-firmware-on-uhd-friendly-devices.74479/

Here is an old list of UHD Friendly Drives: https://club.myce.com/t/the-ultimat...drive-list-with-recommendation-of-best/399725

Thanks and no im not new to this ;)
i just wanted to know the UK varients of drives that are UHD friendly and are cross flash able with the BH16NS55 :)
as i already said i have the BH16NS55 that i dumped my official 1.03 firmware and modified the 1.02 firmware with the laster calibration data from 1.03 to 1.02 and flashed and everything works :) but i had to hex edit the firmware to do it ....
though i wanted to know what was crossflashable and now i know so thanks ;)

Does anyone know if the ASUS BW-16D1X-U External Drive is "UHD Friendly"? I don't see anything on the specs that refers to it as being an Official UHD Drive or UHD Compatible Drive. Just wondering if anyone has used this drive with AnyDVD HD (or any other UHD Decryption Software)?

I haven't seen anyone mention this drive at all. Would be interesting to know.

The BW 16D1X-U is not a friendly drive as far as I know plus the fact that it’s 130 USD ( with the enclosure) I think somebody would’ve mentioned it already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The BW 16D1X-U is not a friendly drive as far as I know plus the fact that it’s 130 USD ( with the enclosure) I think somebody would’ve mentioned it already

Did some digging. Found discussion of the ASUS BW-16D1X-U in another forum that I don't do a lot of reading on. A person bought one in December. It failed to work with UHD. Said person went on to later note that ASUS BW-16D1 series USB 3.0 external drives do not support BDXL even if the specs say they do. Only internal models actually support BDXL. I stopped reading at that point.

NOTE: I am merely reporting what I read stated by another person elsewhere. I can neither confirm or deny the claims.

That could be just some idiot doesn’t know what he’s doing or could be somebody that is right the only way to really check if the do it yourself that said Amazon has them on sale for under 100 bucks and you can send anything back

That could be just some idiot doesn’t know what he’s doing or could be somebody that is right the only way to really check if the do it yourself that said Amazon has them on sale for under 100 bucks and you can send anything back

The individual seems to be knowledgeable so I would err on the side of caution and believe the claim to be true.

Personally, as you note, I'd rather do it myself for $100 or under with a BW-16D1HT and a Vantec NextStar DX USB 3.0 enclosure. Indeed, I did do that! Twice! :)

If it is indeed a friendly drive someone will report it sooner or later, I think most of us you have at least one friendly drive, I know I have been cleaning out my attic and my garage looking for them and I found two already and I just ordered the Vantec enclosures so that should be good enough to test with lol

Last edited:
If it is indeed a friendly drive someone will report it sooner or later, I think most of us you have at least one friendly driver, I know I have been cleaning out my attic and my garage looking for them and I found two already and I just ordered the Vantec enclosures so that should be good enough to test with lol

The Vantec NextStar DX (model NST-536S3-BK) enclosures are extremely nice, IMHO. Well priced, solid, stackable, self-powered, etc. I really really love the power switch for when the drives aren't in use. The only downside I could see some people having is the overall size. I'm fine with it.

I really like the way it looked no problem here

ok bit of an update - @TeddyRaspin sent me a modified 1.02 firmware i think based on my original 1.03 firmware which i sent him earlier today - and it appears to fix my problem! :) It's certainly brought the drive back to life at any rate. I have a number of UHD discs here, i've only tried a couple tonight and I know not all of them are in the database yet but anydvd at least decrypts one of them which implies to me it is working as hoped. I'll do some further testing tomorrow on my other discs but it certainly looks promising so far. Thankyou very much to @TeddyRaspin and also to @Tourist for your input.
:thankyou: :dance::dance:
So a LG BH16NS55 svc code NS55 will work. I thought only the svc code NS50 would work?

Hi.

Long time lurker here.

I don't have the ASUS BW-16D1X-U, but what I have read is, as the other person says, it won't work.
What does work however is the ASUS BW-16D1H-U, and that's the one I'm using at the moment.

I have firmware A201 on it (or that's what it reports itself as), and the latest on ASUS page is A203, but it doesn't state what's changed. My guess is that the A203, being from February 2018, "improves" UHD support, as in makes it unusable. The update zip is encrypted for some reason, so even if I would want to flash it (which I don't!), I can't. I have been trying to find the A202 firmware (which I'm guessing exists, since I'm on A201), but no luck so far.

The drive works great, I have tested several movies on it and it all works fine.

The bezel (on the inside drive itself) seems identical to the BW-16D1HT.

// Stefan

Do NOT UPDATE beyond A201 without finding proof in some way others have confirmed it as working with UHD. The last known working one is A201, use anything above that at your own risk otherwise

Sent from my Nexus 7 with Tapatalk

Do NOT UPDATE beyond A201 without finding proof in some way others have confirmed it as working with UHD. The last known working one is A201, use anything above that at your own risk otherwise

Sent from my Nexus 7 with Tapatalk

Thanx, I had no plans on updating. I did however want to read the changelogs for A202 and A203. I thought it was clear what I wrote, with "(which I don't!)", but maybe it wasn't.

I still thank you for trying to help me not make a mistake, but no risk with me.

// Stefan

Btw, on a sidenote, some users of DeUHD are reporting that after updating to DeUHD 1.0.2.0 that their ASUS BW-16D1HT with firmware 3.02 are showing up as not supported by DeUHD. I tested with both my drives still running the 3.00 firmware and they work fine. This could be a software issue, firmware issue, both, or some utterly bizarre coincidence. Curious to see if they move back to an older version of DeUHD if the problem goes away. Will have to wait and see what the results of that are.

NOTE: Bringing this up because it is firmware related.

NOTE 2: Users having the issue report that AnyDVD and MakeMKV still function properly. It's just DeUHD that is having an issue.

NOTE 3: One of the users uninstalled 1.0.2.0 and reverted to an older DeUHD version. Still not working. Interesting...

Last edited:
I own the external UHD-friendly model “Asus BW-16D1H-U” with Firmware A101!

Does anyone know about FW A201 (or other versions previous to A203), and where I can get it? I haven’t found anything on the net yet…

I own the external UHD-friendly model “Asus BW-16D1H-U” with Firmware A101!

Does anyone know about FW A201 (or other versions previous to A203), and where I can get it? I haven’t found anything on the net yet…

If you find a way to extract the firmware from my drive, I can help you with mine.

// Stefan

Back