• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD UHD Drives and Firmware Questions

Ok so I exchanged it for an LG BH16NS40 drive with version 1.02 firmware & it says service code NS50 on it.
Hopefully this works. I couldn’t find a list of drives & firmware listed on this site.
I really wish we had that so it would be easier to know what to look for.

Last edited:
Ok so I exchanged it for an LG BH16NS40 drive with version 1.02 firmware & it says service code NS50 on it.
Hopefully this works. I couldn’t find a list of drives & firmware listed on this site.
I really wish we had that so it would be easier to know what to look for.

Both Myce.com and the DeUHD website have extensive lists of the supported certified UHD drives and UHD Friendly drives.

I believe there should be no issue with the 1.02 firmware but, generally, it's easier to get an ASUS BW-16D1HT drive that hasn't been updated via the manufacturer to remove the UHD Friendly aspect. Plus the list price minus the mail-in rebate brings the price of the ASUS down to around $58. The LG BH16NS40 appears to be running around $100. But, whatever works. :)

I just went out and purchased the LG-BH16NS55 from reading all this. It has firmware version 1.03. I am just discovering from reading though that the firmware downgrade process probably can't be done if the drive is connected via USB. I'm wondering if an esata external connection may work. I am running Windows 7 32 bit and xp 32 bit on a fairly old laptop (2006) which might be an advantage, so would I need to use the Windows 7 Live bootable USB? I just tried running the Dosflash32_bh16ns40 executable cold, and no drives show in the dialog box.
Just an update: I retried the above using esata through a pcexpress card, and still the dosflash32 dialog box shows no devices. I got a message box saying to resend message, and it has on the bottom status bar, 'sending mtk vendor intro to master on port 0x0170...status 0x51'. But nothing else happens. So would using the bootable Windows 7 Live usb version make a difference?
I just discovered that the above esata attempts make Windows disable the device, by looking at the device manager.

Last edited:
@zent

Your device must be connected to the sata port of your motherboard controller and set as IDE. USB or ESATA will not work at all for this purpose.

@TeddyRaspin
I just happen to have access to a desktop tower with Windows 7 32 bit on it, Pro I think. I have this for a little while. Do I still need to use the Windows Live boot USB? I'll check the connections inside it, hopefully ok.

The Windows Live USB boot method is useful for anyone who does not want install Windows 7 on his own machine. Of course, if you already have Windows 7 installed (32 bit) you can simply boot from that
and use DOSFlash32_BH16NS40.exe flasher in order to read (dump), erase and write the drive eeprom. ;)

Thanks @TeddyRaspin. Just a question about connecting up the drive. If I can successfully make a back up with DOSFlash, then does that mean I am okay to complete the rest of the steps to alter the firmware? That's with the 16NS55 of course. Mine is SVC 55. I think there are a lot of these available now. Thanks for your help.

If you have a valid dump, you can import data to the clean firmware in order to flash the new modded one with dosflash.

If you have a valid dump, you can import data to the clean firmware in order to flash the new modded one with dosflash.

Teddy, I got an LG BH16NS55 with ROM 1.02 and SVC NS55 ; I can't try it atm, but since it has the right firmware, do you know by chance if it works even with SVC NS55?

thanks, so let's dispel it once and for all, is it nonsense that you need to have SVC NS50 with LG drives?

No, the WH16NS40 & BH16NS40 must have SVC NS50 to be UHD friendly. The NS40 drives have been around for years and were originally SVC NS40. The later one's from around the end of 2015 or early 2016, I believe are SVC NS50. All BH16NS55 are SVC NS55.

So, whenever someone is talking about having SVC NS50, they are referring to the WH16NS40 & BH16NS40 drives.

@TeddyRaspin The BHNS55 drive just isn't being detected with dosflash32 or dosflash32_bh16ns40. I changed AHCI to IDE. I moved it from SATA port 3 to SATA port 2 with the plug. I'm not great with hardware but this seemed fairly obvious. I checked in the BIOS to make sure it was port 2.
One thing, I don't know what it means. When I had the drive connected via USB, the Windows bubble (hovering or something over the connected device icon) called it 16NS40, it's called 16NS55 looking elsewhere.

You have to put it on SATA port 1 (Primary Master) and run DOSFLASH 3 times in order to properly detect it. (Of course SATA controller must be set as IDE).

@TeddyRaspin do you mean SATA port 0, it's showing up as secondary master on 1?
Update: I moved the LG drive to SATA Port 0 by exchanging the plugs. I now get the drive showing as Primary Master. I have backed up the flash to a bin file. I used DOSFLASH32_BH16NS40 executable. You say you will generously take this file and give the other flash version. I would like to send it to you. I'm wondering if there are any choices. Version 1.02 seems like the preferred one on the face of it. Thanks.
Should I move this conversation to 'Dumping & Downgrading firmware on UHD Friendly Devices'.

Last edited:
Thanks to Teddy Raspin I have downgraded the firmware of my LG BHNS55 from 1.03 to 1.02. I want to do tests of different disc types to see that all is well. But I don't have any UHD discs. I was wondering what would be a good one for testing. I want something fairly mainstream and easy to obtain. I had to connect the drive to SATA Port 0 so it was Primary Master. I used dosflash32_bhns40. I get the impression others might not be using it, just dosflash32. I hope it is okay.

@TeddyRaspin I've burnt a couple of blurays with it, single and double layer. The speed performs differently than my older LG bluray burner. It sits at 4.1X most of the time, and occasionally dips down to 3.3X or less. This is quite different than my older LG drive which would sit at 4.0X quite steadily and dip down to about 3.8X occasionally. I had never burnt a bluray before the firmware change so I can't compare it. I'm using a USB connected external enclosure for everything.

You can now crossflash it (using the bh16ns40 crossflasher) to ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.02 firmware which has better reading/writing speed. ;)

Do not use DosFlash for Windows as this might result in write errors.
I just noticed this comment. I did use dosflash32_bhns40 in Windows. The drive seems okay, though burning behaviour seems different to me than my older LG drive, but I never tried that before the flash change. Everytime I've ever flashed a device it's been through Windows.

Back