• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD taking forever to rip

What happens when you rip a BluRay you've ripped successfully in the past? Just as a point of comparison.

Hi all. I had the same problem. Tried multiple BDs which normally took about an hour to rip but now were taking forever (the best was 10% done after a 12 hours!). The optical drive head was constantly moving on m2ts files which had a read rate of about 0.2MB/s. Came here, got some ideas but no solution. Tried rebooting, uninstalling AnyDVD (8630), reverted back to AnyDVD (8600), nothing worked. Ripped a DVD, no problem, just like it used to work. Tried playing one of the BDs, stuttered constantly. Tried playing and ripping a BD that I know to be playable and rippable...neither worked. Bought a new optical drive and installed it....still not working! Finally I went into Task Manager, ended 3 Vortex processes plus Nero BackUp and Groove processes. Tried ripping again, and IT WORKS! I will try to narrow down exactly which process is causing this problem later but for now, I have a backlog of ripping to do. (have already done 2 which, as before, took a little less than an hour each). I suggest that you try doing the same for any recent app that you may have installed prior to the problem occurring.

As I suspected, it was something that Vortex causing the bluray ripping slowdown. Just closing the program corrects the problem; no need to use Task Manager to stop residual processes.

As I suspected, it was something that Vortex causing the bluray ripping slowdown. Just closing the program corrects the problem; no need to use Task Manager to stop residual processes.
What's Vortex? What kind of software?

Vortex is a game mod manager. I hadn't come back to the forum because I thought that shutting down Vortex was the fix but the problem returned and closing Vortex didn't help. Both DVD's and BD's taking forever to rip! (overnight a DVD TV series with 3 episodes had only completed 20% by morning.) A characteristic of the problem is that the Bluray drive heads are forever moving, chunk-chunk, chunk-chunk... This time stopping Nero BackItUp (which if you read my previous note I also shut down last time simply because I never use it.) seemed to correct the problem. I have had the latest version of the Nero Suite for many, many years and, I'm quite certain that Nero BackItUp has been part of the suite for a long time as well. Maybe the last update doesn't play well with AnyDVD. Nero BackItUp installation defaults have it loading upon startup such that even if you've never used it like me, it's there in the background (which is why I had it running in the background again because, while I shut the process down in the previous fix, it reloaded at the next bootup). And then again, maybe the next batch of DVD/BDs that I try to rip will be thwarted by yet another background process.

Last edited:
Vortex is a game mod manager. I hadn't come back to the forum because I thought that shutting down Vortex was the fix but the problem returned and closing Vortex didn't help. Both DVD's and BD's taking forever to rip! (overnight a DVD TV series with 3 episodes had only completed 20% by morning.) A characteristic of the problem is that the Bluray drive heads are forever moving, chunk-chunk, chunk-chunk... This time stopping Nero BackItUp (which if you read my previous note I also shut down last time simply because I never use it.) seemed to correct the problem. I have had the latest version of the Nero Suite for many, many years and, I'm quite certain that Nero BackItUp has been part of the suite for a long time as well. Maybe the last update doesn't play well with AnyDVD. Nero BackItUp installation defaults have it loading upon startup such that even if you've never used it like me, it's there in the background (which is why I had it running in the background again because, while I shut the process down in the previous fix, it reloaded at the next bootup). And then again, maybe the next batch of DVD/BDs that I try to rip will be thwarted by yet another background process.
I too have the latest version of Nero Suite. However, the "BackItUp" Service is set to manual - therefore, isn't necessarily running when I attempt to rip. I'm curious if you observed the Service startup on it's own - obviously requiring you to uninstall the Service altogether to remove that behavior. Otherwise, the symptoms you describe is exactly what happens in my own environments.

Back