• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD taking forever to rip

msgilch

First: Long time user (back to the Slysoft days) but, have rarely had problems. With regard to the post: I believe I've sufficiently ruled-out PC; and External (USB 3.0) Blu-Ray optical drives. I've tried the 3 DELL Precision Laptops, along with 3 different Optical drives. All give me the same problem.

Currently, I'm trying to backup my Black Adam Blu-Ray but, previously tried with my Top Gun Maverick Blu-Ray with identical results. Right now, I'm ~ 30% through ripping after 24 hours, with what appears to be 81:59:32 remaining. For those of you wondering why I would let it go that long: I just got the latest update (8.6.3.0); and didn't need to kill the job for resource reasons so, I just let it go. Prior to the last 2 Blu-Rays, I've never had a rip take longer than an hour - and that's only if the movie is extra long. I'm hoping the log of the current rip will help with those of you who know what to look for. After the first 2 tries, I purchased another Blu-Ray drive since the others have quite a few hours on them; and wanted to do what I could to rule out equipment.

Last: I am a retired IT Systems Architect so, I do know my way around a PC as far as Windows software is concerned. That means, you can be sure I've got all firmware and software patches up to date on all PCs tested. Obviously, I could be overlooking something but, I'll be darned if I know what it is. I've seen where you've helped others; and if you can convince me where I've screwed-up, I'll definitely take a punch for a resolution.

Thanks for your consideration

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.6.3.0_Info_Z_BLACK_ADAM_BAFF6522_6A4B12CD.ziplog
    814.7 KB · Views: 6
I cannot help you here as I don't know about the other parts of the log, but in the txt for the status window I can see
Code:
Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)
Since you are talking about a BD, it should not matter. But for DVDs it is recommend to set the hardware region, so I just want to mention it. Exit AnyDVD before you do so.

Were the drives you tested all from the same manufacturer? If so, can you try a different one?
Did you clean the disks? Sometimes there's a thin film on it even on fresh out of the box disks, which can cause ripping problems.
Clean it with some warm water, mild liquid soap and dry it with some cloth like the ones you clean your glasses with.

All 3 laptops the same Windows OS at the same patch level? I am just wondering if a recent windows update hosed up a driver involved in the process. Maybe a reinstall/repair of AnyDVD might assist on that front?

First: Long time user (back to the Slysoft days) but, have rarely had problems. With regard to the post: I believe I've sufficiently ruled-out PC; and External (USB 3.0) Blu-Ray optical drives. I've tried the 3 DELL Precision Laptops, along with 3 different Optical drives. All give me the same problem.

Currently, I'm trying to backup my Black Adam Blu-Ray but, previously tried with my Top Gun Maverick Blu-Ray with identical results. Right now, I'm ~ 30% through ripping after 24 hours, with what appears to be 81:59:32 remaining. For those of you wondering why I would let it go that long: I just got the latest update (8.6.3.0); and didn't need to kill the job for resource reasons so, I just let it go. Prior to the last 2 Blu-Rays, I've never had a rip take longer than an hour - and that's only if the movie is extra long. I'm hoping the log of the current rip will help with those of you who know what to look for. After the first 2 tries, I purchased another Blu-Ray drive since the others have quite a few hours on them; and wanted to do what I could to rule out equipment.

Last: I am a retired IT Systems Architect so, I do know my way around a PC as far as Windows software is concerned. That means, you can be sure I've got all firmware and software patches up to date on all PCs tested. Obviously, I could be overlooking something but, I'll be darned if I know what it is. I've seen where you've helped others; and if you can convince me where I've screwed-up, I'll definitely take a punch for a resolution.

Thanks for your consideration
Your drive is connected via USB. Make sure, to use correct cabling (USB3, not USB1 or 2), drivers, power supply.

I never had a problem with that before but, I'll try anything. Thanks for the tip.
Were the drives you tested all from the same manufacturer? If so, can you try a different one?
Did you clean the disks? Sometimes there's a thin film on it even on fresh out of the box disks, which can cause ripping problems.
Clean it with some warm water, mild liquid soap and dry it with some cloth like the ones you clean your glasses with.
Your drive is connected via USB. Make sure, to use correct cabling (USB3, not USB1 or 2), drivers, power supply.
With regard to same OS - Same patch level --> Yes, all are Windows 10 at the same patch level. However, they are slightly different models (Dell XPS 17"; Dell Precision 7710, Dell Precision 7750), and different generations. Therefore, they all have different BIOS, ChipSet and firmware applied to Dell Components.

I do have a CD/DVD/Blu-Ray washer. Although as you say, even new disks can have a film, after the first 2 ripping failures, I did put the disks through this "washer". Unfortunately, it didn't change anything.

With regard to the USB labeling: Dell has done a fairly good job of using the correct Icons adjacent to their ports. The External Blu-Ray drives used, are all separately powered with their own power cords - not through the USB ports. While it's possible one, or maybe two drives suddenly took a drive with either the electronics or the power supply, I don't believe all three of them - especially the newest drive - went bad all at once. If no one else is having a problem with 8.6.3.0, and the listed titles have already been ripped successfully, I acknowledge there is something screwed-up in my own environment. Although you folks have given great things to look at/for, I have already considered them and dismissed. Remember: This is the same setup I've used - except for the newer PC/Drive - for many years with rarely a problem. I just doesn't make sense to me. However, if the AnyDVD driver loaded incorrectly (is that even possible?), or something else I've installed in conflicting with the driver, I would expect this would show-up in the log. I did recently install a different virus scanner --> PC Matic. However, I have successfully ripped prior with 8.6.2.0 with PC Matic installed.

With regard to the USB labeling: Dell has done a fairly good job of using the correct Icons adjacent to their ports. The External Blu-Ray drives used, are all separately powered with their own power cords - not through the USB ports. While it's possible one, or maybe two drives suddenly took a drive with either the electronics or the power supply, I don't believe all three of them - especially the newest drive - went bad all at once. If no one else is having a problem with 8.6.3.0, and the listed titles have already been ripped successfully, I acknowledge there is something screwed-up in my own environment. Although you folks have given great things to look at/for, I have already considered them and dismissed. Remember: This is the same setup I've used - except for the newer PC/Drive - for many years with rarely a problem. I just doesn't make sense to me. However, if the AnyDVD driver loaded incorrectly (is that even possible?), or something else I've installed in conflicting with the driver, I would expect this would show-up in the log. I did recently install a different virus scanner --> PC Matic. However, I have successfully ripped prior with 8.6.2.0 with PC Matic installed.
Why don't you uninstall that software? Windows Defender does a pretty good job anyway. At least on one PC to check.

You know, I would do that IF I had a problem with 8.6.2.0 or prior. AnyDVD is whitelisted, and worked as advertised as far as the list is concerned with prior versions. I can also turn it off completely forever, or a specific period of time. Both have been tried with zero difference in AnyDVD behavior with regard to this issue. Look: I have no idea how thorough the AnyDVD logs are but, if they record every anomaly, I would expect some kind of entry in the logs with regard to my Virus software. I don't even want to try to interpret the logs ... reason I posted this problem. I'm hoping you experts will see the problem in the log, or potentially the problem area. With regard to using Windows Defender --> I don't know about you but, I would never trust the vendor to police or even discover root kits, virus' or ransomware that is caused by the same bad coding vendor (Microsoft).

Thanks again,

I still suggest to uninstall AnyDVD and reinstall it. Specifically a uninstall/reboot/install cycle. At the end of the day the issue is going to be something on your PC specific to you. It's just a matter of finding what that is obviously.

Out of curiosity, what happens if you try to play a disc in windows with say VLC or similar? I am wondering if it plays normally or hangs up. That my point the finger towards AnyDVD or to your machine situation.

I stand corrected ... I thought you meant uninstall PC Matic. I have now removed/rebooted/re-installed (with subsequent mandatory reboot) with AnyDVD, and tried again. Unfortunately, the same behavior exists. The more interesting suggestion you made with regard to playing a Blu-Ray or other from my optical drive, is showing me there is some kind of conflict going on. I never thought of removing AnyDVD since it's been so solid over the years. I usually play my Blu-Rays/DVDs on my home theatre setup; and only use the PC's Optical drives to convert to a digital file I can share on my home Network setup. When attempting to view the Blu-Ray on my optical drive, it is very slow and choppy - to the point it's useless to try to watch from there. Now, it's appears I'm opening up a whole new can of worms ... Hindsight tells me I should have tried to view the Blu-Ray after I uninstalled AnyDVD and rebooted, to see if something else is interfering with the normal function of the Optical drive. It's just hard to think all of my PCs came up with the same problem at the same time.

I appreciate your input.

You know, I would do that IF I had a problem with 8.6.2.0 or prior. AnyDVD is whitelisted, and worked as advertised as far as the list is concerned with prior versions. I can also turn it off completely forever, or a specific period of time. Both have been tried with zero difference in AnyDVD behavior with regard to this issue. Look: I have no idea how thorough the AnyDVD logs are but, if they record every anomaly, I would expect some kind of entry in the logs with regard to my Virus software. I don't even want to try to interpret the logs ... reason I posted this problem. I'm hoping you experts will see the problem in the log, or potentially the problem area. With regard to using Windows Defender --> I don't know about you but, I would never trust the vendor to police or even discover root kits, virus' or ransomware that is caused by the same bad coding vendor (Microsoft).

Thanks again,
You are out of luck if you just want to complain and not change anything in your environment to drill down to the nature of the problem. I will leave this thread alone now. Stubborness doesn't lead to solutions or results.

I stand corrected ... I thought you meant uninstall PC Matic. I have now removed/rebooted/re-installed (with subsequent mandatory reboot) with AnyDVD, and tried again. Unfortunately, the same behavior exists. The more interesting suggestion you made with regard to playing a Blu-Ray or other from my optical drive, is showing me there is some kind of conflict going on. I never thought of removing AnyDVD since it's been so solid over the years. I usually play my Blu-Rays/DVDs on my home theatre setup; and only use the PC's Optical drives to convert to a digital file I can share on my home Network setup. When attempting to view the Blu-Ray on my optical drive, it is very slow and choppy - to the point it's useless to try to watch from there. Now, it's appears I'm opening up a whole new can of worms ... Hindsight tells me I should have tried to view the Blu-Ray after I uninstalled AnyDVD and rebooted, to see if something else is interfering with the normal function of the Optical drive. It's just hard to think all of my PCs came up with the same problem at the same time.

I appreciate your input.

I wonder if a windows update replaced something like a USB driver or something to that effect. Since all 3 of your machines are somewhat similar could be they are using the same chipset that were all affected. My gut tells me it is going to be something really specific like that but you obviously know your machines better than I do.

You are out of luck if you just want to complain and not change anything in your environment to drill down to the nature of the problem. I will leave this thread alone now. Stubborness doesn't lead to solutions or results.
Check my reply to DQ guy before you go off the deep end.

I wonder if a windows update replaced something like a USB driver or something to that effect. Since all 3 of your machines are somewhat similar could be they are using the same chipset that were all affected. My gut tells me it is going to be something really specific like that but you obviously know your machines better than I do.
Thanks DQ ... I guess I'm just going to have to pull everything a part - at least on one machine. 2 of the laptops are similar (DELL Precision) but, are of different vintages. Therefore, the Chipsets can't be the same. Your point about something specific is what I'm going to have to key off of. All Laptops don't have the same software installed. The only similarity is they are all running Windows 10 even though one (M7750) is capable of running Windows 11. So, your point about a replaced USB driver is pertinent here since, I'm aware the normally scheduled patch work did occur lately. I'm going to have to dig into what exactly was patched. The thing is, if it is Windows 10 related, I've got to believe more folks than just me would've been affected.

Thanks again,

So unlikely. There is a common pattern.

Thanks DQ ... I guess I'm just going to have to pull everything a part - at least on one machine. 2 of the laptops are similar (DELL Precision) but, are of different vintages. Therefore, the Chipsets can't be the same. Your point about something specific is what I'm going to have to key off of. All Laptops don't have the same software installed. The only similarity is they are all running Windows 10 even though one (M7750) is capable of running Windows 11. So, your point about a replaced USB driver is pertinent here since, I'm aware the normally scheduled patch work did occur lately. I'm going to have to dig into what exactly was patched. The thing is, if it is Windows 10 related, I've got to believe more folks than just me would've been affected.

Thanks again,

Just to rule it out why don't you try uninstallixng PC matic on one pc reboot and try the rip. if it doesn't work still, then you can reinstall pc matic I use norton myself and sometimes I have to fiddle with it's antivirus and firewall settifngs to get it to play nice with my other software includng anydvd

Another thought ... since you mentioned "network": Do you rip to a network target or local HDD?

I really opened this post to determine if anyone has ever heard of or experienced this type of issue. Since it appears not, I know this is solely my problem; and I'm going to have to take things apart, and put them back one at a time to find out what caused the problem. I'm sorry to have wasted your time and I appreciated all the input given.

Cartman: Just so you know, I rip locally and then setup the digital file on a network share so my family can view from wherever - albeit, within WiFi range. I have done this for literally hundreds of Blu-Rays, DVDs and music CDs I own. As indicated in the intro, I never had a problem before I tried to rip Top Gun Maverick and thought it may be related to some new encryption scheme the manufacturers were using. Over the years, the Slysoft/RedFox team have been quick to release a new unencrypt scheme shortly after a new one was released. Since you all have helped kill that thought, I know this is a problem I'm going to have to deal with on my own. You folks are welcome to comment but, I'll not count on it from here on out. Thanks again

Back