• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD scanning a Blu-ray disc disturbs other drives that are ripping

kmhfmnn

When I rip multiple discs simultaneously using multiple drives, inserting and therefore scanning a newly inserted disc can get one or more of the other drives to get queried. This brings the ripping process on the other drives to a crawling halt for a while.

This drive query doesn't happen all the time, but only sometimes. When it does happen, it seems to go through more than one (potentially all) drives, one by one. The impact is greatly delayed disc scanning at a minimum; it is unclear to me whether this can affect the integrity of the rips using the queried drives.

To the best of my knowledge this issue appears only in recent versions of AnyDVD, potentially starting with 8.5.9.0. I don't recall this ever happening in even older versions.
Any idea what may cause this and whether this can be remedied? Thanks!

Logfiles, please! But I guess you have MakeMKV installed.

When I rip multiple discs simultaneously using multiple drives, inserting and therefore scanning a newly inserted disc can get one or more of the other drives to get queried. This brings the ripping process on the other drives to a crawling halt for a while.

I get the same thing and although it may be new to AnyDVD because it uses makeMKV/LibreDrive now, it's not new to me - lol.

I've run ripping scripts that invoke makeMKV directly (without AnyDVD even being active) and running it on one drive greatly impacts any rips on other drives.

makeMKV always seems to check out every drive in your system when you run it so I think that's the issue.

Using the script, most of my rips slow to a crawl/stall when another is kicked off and makeMKV starts its scanning, but usually recover after some minutes.

A few times my portable Pio has not recovered from another rip kicking off and I had to kill the rip and re-start.

Doesn't happen often and so far my NS60's always seem to recover.

I see no evidence output is affected in any way.

Seems to be binary - either the rip doesn't recover or it does and generates proper output.

Anyway, I guess you're seeing this happen now in the AnyDVD world because of the recent makeMKV/LibreDrive integration...

T

Now that I wrote it, it becomes hard to reproduce while I create a logfile. :rolleyes: Will try to provide one within the next few days.
But, yes, I have MakeMKV installed.

But, yes, I have MakeMKV installed.
MakeMKV Libredrive is the reason. If you uninstall MakeMKV, AnyDVD will behave the way you know it.

Since this is the second time someone mentioned this:
I already had something like that some years ago. I cannot remember exactly what I did anymore, but I used two drives simultaneously. Somehow it confused AnyDVD when I inserted one disc and starting a rip on the other drive at the same time.

I guess the drive had to spin up again, so AnyDVD waited for that, at the same time it had to start scanning on another drive...
Not sure but I think I had to kill AnyDVD and redo it. Since then I always wait till the copy window switched from 0MB and 0% to 1% before I do anything else, when using two drives.

Since this is the second time someone mentioned this:
I already had something like that some years ago. I cannot remember exactly what I did anymore, but I used two drives simultaneously. Somehow it confused AnyDVD when I inserted one disc and starting a rip on the other drive at the same time.

I guess the drive had to spin up again, so AnyDVD waited for that, at the same time it had to start scanning on another drive...
Not sure but I think I had to kill AnyDVD and redo it. Since then I always wait till the copy window switched from 0MB and 0% to 1% before I do anything else, when using two drives.
Must have been something else. Or a bug fixed a couple of years ago. Maybe with DVDs?

Must have been something else. Or a bug fixed a couple of years ago. Maybe with DVDs?
Yes, it is something else, only thought I write it as we are at this topic already.
I cannot even say the version I was using at that point, I began with a SlySoft version before I purchased a RF key.
Since I used two drives, the second was an external BD-Drive, although I sometimes copy two DVDs at the same time since the external one is faster than the internal drive (laptop). So it might was a DVD, but could've also been a BD.

I cannot say if it has been fixed now or not, since I now always wait for AnyDVD to start before I use the second drive. But I can try to recreate it when I am on my laptop again.

MakeMKV Libredrive is the reason. If you uninstall MakeMKV, AnyDVD will behave the way you know it.

I don't know how AnyDVD interfaces w/ MakeMKV, but makemkvcon cmd line has an option to not scan drive states (--noscan) :)

Last edited:
What I mean is it doesn't activate libredrive so it's not helpful.

You didn't notice that we don't use the info command because it takes too long. That's what I mean.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

that's not what I was saying at all, in fact I expressly prefixed what I said with:
I don't know how AnyDVD interfaces w/ MakeMKV...

The point being that there clearly exists a way, even in the console application, to push libredrive firmware into the drive without having to scan all available drives... C'mon!

Yes, we've known about that way for a long time. It does NOT help AnyDVD which is what I've said numerous times now. The REASON it does NOT HELP AnyDVD is because when you execute the INFO command it IS scanning the disc of the drive you give it and it can take a VERY long time to finish depending on the disc. Is that clear enough?

Back