• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD preventing drive from seeing any discs

@KBJ2007

Okay so I had a few moments to spare so I just tested the above but no significant changes to report, sadly! Granted it did shave 14 seconds off the overall figure of 1 minute 14 seconds but still the wait seems too long compared to your own timings. Looks like I'll have to ride this one out until a fix is found.

The only other major difference I see based on what you've posted about your machine is that I'm running an I7-6700K @4.00Ghz with 32 GB RAM. The MB is an Asus Z170-A, the graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960. The optical drive is running the 3.02 firmware.

I still think it's something that's running in the background that is slowing down the OS recognition of the drive state.

Nice setup you have there! ;)

Yes I have the 3.02 firmware as well. Something running in the background might still be a possibility I guess, it looks like I'll have to keep testing until I find the culprit.

One thing that did cross my mind was that the clean install might have gone wrong somewhere. The only reason I'm wondering about this is that the previous 'Pioneer' drive which I sent back a couple of weeks ago also suffered the same problem, the only difference being was that whenever I inserted a blank disc into that device it caused dozens of Warning Errors in the Windows Event Logs: Event ID: 51 An error was detected on device \Device\CdRom0 during a paging operation. Strangely this didn't cause any failed burns and according to Microsoft it is safe to ignore. That said however those errors don't exist on this new ASUS drive thankfully though it does make me wonder if something in the system caused that problem and is perhaps now impacting on this new device.

Do you have a spare SATA port you can use, or maybe swap it with another device using a SATA port?
Are your IDE/SATA controllers are up to date as far as firmware and drivers?
Do you get any yellow caution triangles in Device Manager, especially for the IDE/SATA controllers?
The optical drive is not set as the boot drive, is it?
Have you tried Uninstalling the drive in Device Manager and letting Windows re-add the drive upon a reboot of the system?

Thanks again for your help (y)

I'll answer each question in turn..., shown in RED

Do you have a spare SATA port you can use, or maybe swap it with another device using a SATA port?
I've already tried that to no effect on several spare ports
Are your IDE/SATA controllers are up to date as far as firmware and drivers?
Yes all the latest firmwares and drivers have been installed, I check the ASUS website every week currently
Do you get any yellow caution triangles in Device Manager, especially for the IDE/SATA controllers?
No yellow caution triangles anywhere in Device Manager. (BTW this is a SATA only system so no IDE ports)
Yes it's set as the first boot device, this is a requirement for Symantec System Recovery SSR 2013 to work correctly in the event the OS won't boot
Have you tried Uninstalling the drive in Device Manager and letting Windows re-add the drive upon a reboot of the system?
Yes I've done that twice with no effect

Yes it's set as the first boot device, this is a requirement for Symantec System Recovery SSR 2013 to work correctly in the event the OS won't boot
Is this a work machine? Why would you need such an extensive restore system?

Can you disable the Symantec product, set the actual OS drive to be the boot drive and then see what happens with your optical drive?

Yes it is a working machine, as I say it's newly built by me in January this year.

Extensive restore system? I'd hardly call it that but having learnt the hard way how disruptive data loss can be I always keep my system backed up for that eventuality. The way SSR 2013 works is that if I can't boot from my C-Drive I can restore the entire system quickly using the recovery disc in the CD tray at boot, this allows me to run a recovery environment to restore the full system,programs and all in just under 12 minutes from backups held externally.

I will have to look into whether I can change the boot priority, I do believe it's possible though my main concern would be if it breaks the backup history.

Leave it with me for a few days... ;)

UPDATE!

I just bit the bullet and tested doing a DVD burn with my first boot device set to C-Drive. I set the stopwatch and once again the same issue persists. Total time to display film title in Explorer was 1 minute 20 seconds so very slightly longer than previous tests :unsure:

Last edited:
Please try AnyDVD 8.2.2.5.

@James

Success! :thankyou:

I didn't think for one minute this new version would make any difference but I'm happy to say that I was wrong!

I did a couple more tests, figures below...

Blank DVD - Time to display disc change in Explorer: 12 Seconds

Pre-recorded DVD - Time to display Film Title in Explorer: 53 Seconds

Repeated above test with the same pre-recorded disc: 31 Seconds

I call that a major improvement, thank you! :dance:

Thanks also to @KBJ2007 for your added support, it's nice to know you were trying to help ;)

Of course this does beg the question, why did two identical burners behave so differently from one another? I guess I'll probably never know but it's certainly strange. Never mind, I'm happy we got there in the end. Thanks RedFox :)

Of course this does beg the question, why did two identical burners behave so differently from one another? I guess I'll probably never know but it's certainly strange. Never mind, I'm happy we got there in the end. Thanks RedFox :)
The update didn't fix your broken computer, it just has a nice workaround... ;)

@James

Broken computer..., not two words I'd want to hear after just splashing out loads of dosh to build it. Are you seriously telling me that RedFox team created this workaround especially for me or did they discover the same issue? :whistle:

From what I can tell, there's something going on with your computer that's slowing down the recognition of the status state of your optical drive. I still think it's something to do with an anti-virus setting or maybe the Norton restore product. Disabling the optical drive boot function may not be disabling something else with the software that might stay running. If it's not a lot of trouble you might try removing the Norton product completely and see if that solves the problem, then re-install the software and it might make allowances for the optical drive.

I'm out of ideas, sorry.

Thanks but there's no need now since the latest AnyDVD has fixed the problem. Personally I don't believe the Norton restore product is at fault as I've used that with Windows 10 since first released alongside AnyDVD without issues. As for testing the AV theory, that would be difficult to do anyway now that this new workaround has been implemented by RedFox.

Thanks anyway ;)

For such cases when unsure if any installed software or broken Win installation is the culprit, it might be helpful (just perhaps) if you have a free spare HDD/SSD (SATA 2.5",3,5"), eg. an old 2.5 inch SATA-HDD from Laptop, for testing purposes
lying around. (Any SATA-HDD/SSD with 100GB, even with 30GB can do).

Plug off main HDD/SSD with main Windows 10 installation temporarily.
(Also Windows 10 doesn't allow to install on a second drive, when two drives plugged in)
(Also Windows 10 won't install on a USB-HDD drive, but boots from it when Win10-Isntallation cloned on a USB-drive)

If ODD at first SATA-port, switch it to a higher numbered SATA-port.
Plug in a spare, preferably the free spare SATA-HDD/SSD to first SATA port.
Check in BIOS/UEFI setup that SATA mode is set to AHCI mode.
Install Windows 10 on that seperate SATA-HDD/SSD in less than 30 minutes, without to have touch your main Windows system (1st main HDD is plugged off).
Boot 2nd Win10 installation. (1st main HDD is plugged off)
Check in Windows Device manager that all essnetial hardware component drivers are installed by Windows (chipset, GPU, IDE/ATA Atapi controller =>standard SATA/AHCI controllel, LAN/WLAN)
If yes leave it as it is first (AMD 3rd party drivers might have bad influence)

If not essential drivers installed, check that Internet is on and if Windows Update finds drivers.
If also Windows update does not have those essential drivers, install AMD drivers.

Then Install an AnyDVD version at once where the workaround from James was not yet in place, which was tested on main installation.
Register AnyDVD.

Try to copy the disc again, if problem goes away, you know for sure,that the main Windows installation on yoor main SSD/HDD is the culprit (Windows 10, other 3rd party software, hardware drivers).
If not it is perhaps, you know it is a hardware problem, or it might be just the hardware drivers, or some setting in AnyDVD/code which doesn't play together with your hardware, or the newer Win10 version caused the problems (in combination with your system)

The good thing is you haven't touched your main HDD and main Windows installation, just replug its HDD.

Last edited:
This has been a lifetime issue for me through two different desktops and two different laptops. I am only adding my comment in case someone else is browsing the same issue. Early on I found a thread that described clearing the anydvd upper and lower filters in the registry. I have used that process multiple times to restore normal function to see disks in my drive. it has been a while so I now need to find that thread again …. hopefully this will point someone else in the right direction to.

Okay, I found the steps to reset filters in a note on my computer …. do not have an actual link. NOTE: EDITING THE REGISTRY CAN RESULT IN YOUR COMPUTER NOT WORKING IF DONE IMPROPERLY. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

Delete the Upper and Lower Filters
  • Go into the registry of your computer. The registry is accessed through the "Start" menu. Type "regedit" into the search box and hit "Enter."

• Find the registry entry that reads "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}." Click on this entry to highlight it.

• Choose "UpperFilters" from the options in the right-hand pane. If an entry appears under "UpperFilters," go to the "Edit" menu and choose "Delete." When the warning message comes up, confirm that you want to delete. Do not delete anything if no entry comes up under "UpperFilters."
  • Select "LowerFilters" from the options in the right pane. If an entry appears, delete it. When the warning message appears, click "Yes" to confirm. If there is no entry under "LowerFilters," do not delete anything.
  • Restart the computer. Once you have deleted the upper and lower filters, you will need to restart the system for the changes to take effect.

Back