• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD preventing drive from seeing any discs

@claus

Odd indeed, though thanks for confirming you also use W10 64Bit. I'm hoping once @Pete has reviewed my videos above it might shed some new light on the situation. Do report back though if you have any more news.

Have any staff members had chance to review the videos I posted on the previous page yet? @James , @Pete , anyone...?

Please try the following experiment.
Make sure, there is no disc in any optical drive.

1.) Exit AnyDVD. This is IMPORTANT!
2.) Start regedit. Navigate to Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SlySoft\AnyDVD\Settings
3.) Find the registry value "Lock". It should be set to 1.
4.) Change it to 0
5.) Reboot the PC. This is IMPORTANT!
6.) Start AnyDVD.
7.) Insert a disc in any optical drive.

Please check, if you notice better behavior on disc change.

EDIT: This is no final solution, and there will be side effects. E.g. exiting AnyDVD with a disc in the drive will cause problems.

@James

Thank you for offering a possible solution, sadly however following the above steps makes no difference and the issue remains. As shown in my videos the drive does not display details about the disc until around 60 seconds after insertion.

Presumably as it doesn't help I should change the registry value back to '1' ?

@James

Thank you for offering a possible solution, sadly however following the above steps makes no difference and the issue remains. As shown in my videos the drive does not display details about the disc until around 60 seconds after insertion.

Presumably as it doesn't help I should change the registry value back to '1' ?
Very unfortunate. Yes, revert it back to 1 (exit AnyDVD first!). Otherwise Virtual CloneDrive won't work.
Speaking of VCD, does Virtual CloneDrive exhibit the same behavior?

@James

Thanks for the advice, I've now reverted the registry back to the default value. Re-VCD, I've never used that program. Should I ?

Please try AnyDVD 8.2.2.3. Please let me know...

@James

No change unfortunately. Explorer window does not update the drive contents for a full minute after AnyDVD has finished scanning. Same as before!

I have the very same drive, an ASUS BW-16D1HT, and it operates and displays in Explorer just as I would expect it to.

All with AnyDVD 8.2.2.3 running,

No disc in drive
qwaqjsw.jpg

Blank disc in drive
qjse1hx.jpg

Commercial Blu-ray in drive
kkfj72a.jpg

Commercial Blu-ray removed from drive after ripping
rmz5z34.jpg

All conditions display within several seconds after disc drawer is closed and/or AnyDVD has finished inspecting disc.

I'm running Windows 10 Version - 1709 OS Build - 162.99.309

I have the very same drive, an ASUS BW-16D1HT, and it operates and displays in Explorer just as I would expect it to.

All with AnyDVD 8.2.2.3 running,
Just that I get this right - you DON'T have a problem?

So, you DON'T have a problem...???
What problem do you have, if everything works fine?
No, I have no problem. Sorry, I posted to display that everything does work as it should, I thought it might provide some insight to what was ailing the OP as I'm using the very same optical drive he/she is.

This is very strange indeed, both my current (ASUS BW-16D1HT) and my previously returned BD Writer (Pioneer BDR-209 DBK) have suffered the exact same issue. In fact that was the reason I returned the previous writer.

@KBJ2007

I see we both have the same version of Windows but can you confirm if yours is the 64 Bit version?

Also you mentioned the following...

"All conditions display within several seconds after disc drawer is closed and/or AnyDVD has finished inspecting disc."
Can you time this and let me know how many seconds exactly? As mentioned above it takes around one minute on my system before the disc change is recognised.

Many thanks ;)

Yes, it's the 64-bit version.

Loading and scanning the disc with AnyDVD was 25 secs with the actual scan being less than 15 secs, the balance being the drive spinning up the disc to ready mode. These times would very likely be different depending on the disc/movie.

Blank disc recognition was right about 15-16 secs, again almost all of that spinning up to ready mode. Upon removal of both the commercial movie and a blank disc from the drive, the icon reverted to empty virtually instantly, less than 2 secs.

My drive is set to "Choose a default" when it senses a disc in the drive.

Last edited:
@KBJ2007

Thanks for this, i's much appreciated :)

Okay so it seems my timing previously was a little off, I've just timed the process using a stopwatch for better accuracy.

Inserted a cloned DVD (disc type seem to make no difference)

From closing the drive tray and AnyDVD finishing scanning takes 16 seconds so very similar to your own result.

However, it took a total of 1 minute 14 seconds before the drive displayed the film title.

As I've said all along this issue is not present at all when AnyDVD is disabled.

One thing that I've always noticed is that after AnyDVD has finished scanning the drive remains quiet until the above delay of 1 Minute 16 Seconds has elapsed at which point the drive makes a slight noise as though it's reading at which point the disc type/film title is displayed.

My drive is also set to "Choose a default' when it senses a disc in the drive. I have also tried other settings with no effect.

I did post some videos of this happening on the previous page, though I'm not sure if anyone has seen those. Here they are again...

Turn speakers on!

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AhXnsNJAY62UgbV_Wh_BIynUg_3EKQ

Last edited:
Have you tried disabling all non-Microsoft OS-related services during startup? I would also disable what looks like OneCloud I see in the system tray. I would also disable any anti-virus as well. Virtually anything beyond what the OS needs to run.

If that improves the icon display times then start adding each of the disabled services one by one until you find the offender.

Also, we're talking about an internally SATA connected drive, this isn't a drive that's been installed in an outboard USB case correct?

P.S. Obviously, allow AnyDVD to run at startup.

I did watch the commercial Blu-ray load video and that's an excessive amount of time in my opinion, much longer than I've ever experienced

@KBJ2007

I haven't considered doing any of those test as yet though I will do so later this evening and report back.

As for the drive being an internally connected SATA drive, Yes it is :) This is a newly built system specs below..

ASUS Prime B350 Plus

AMD Ryzen 5

16 gbs Corsair Vengeance 2666 Mhz RAM

ASUS NVidia GeForce GT 610 (Yes I know it's a little old but it works for my needs until I can afford an upgrade)

EVGA Supanova 750 G2 PSU 80 Plus Gold

@KBJ2007

Quick question?

When you say try disabling all non-Microsoft OS-related services during startup are you referring to MSCONFIG to perform these tests ? Just wanted to check because it's been a while since I've done anything like that.

Thanks

Yes, you can use that application, be sure to check "Hide all Microsoft services" at the bottom left of the applet and then scroll through what's left disabling everything non-essential to the OS actually working correctly. If you're unsure about particular listing does then just leave it as is but everything should be fairly selfexplanatory.

You can also access Services by typing Services in the taskbar search box but the actual services application doesn't have the "Hide all Microsoft services" checkbox so it's easier to get into trouble if you're unsure of what you're doing.

You should be disabling programs/functions that you've added to the computer, that CCleaner app would be one to definitely disable, any anti-virus, Logitech applications, camera applications, programs of that sort of nature.

You can also try booting to Safe Mode but I'm not sure what all is disabled, you might lose something integral to having the optical drive function and I'm not sure how you would get AnyDVD to load in that state. It can probably be done but as I've never had to try it I don't know how it would be done.

Thanks for the advice, I thought that was what I should do but like I say I've not touched MSCONFIG for a long while. It's also possible to disable some startup items using the task manager in W10 (Start-up tab) . I didn't get to test this last night due to family commitments but hopefully I can make some time over the weekend.

Will keep you posted anyway. :)

Back