• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD on Linux?

Kzi

Is it an plan to develop AnyDVD for Linux OS?

Is it an plan to develop AnyDVD for Linux OS?

This has been asked numerous of times and no it won't happen being that there is too many different versions and brands on this and they can't add the coding needed to suit for every distro. This would be nice though.

It's unlikely it'll be released for Linux but you can use something like VMWare or Parallels and within a virtual Windows OS run AnyDVD from there. Although that could be a pain. Parallels looks very promising especially for Mac users.

Don't forget BSD

I might chip in with the comment that unlike with Linux, there is only ONE version needed for BSD as all do speak the same "language" (package)

So what about a BSD version? Do it once and it will work with all BSD flavours.
Closed Source? No problem for BSD.

Sorry, Linux freaks, butBSD kicks *ass*, including the penguin.

Jenny
FreeBSD/PC-BSD Kernel 6.1 -p11

>> www.pcbsd.org <<

I might chip in with the comment that unlike with Linux, there is only ONE version needed for BSD as all do speak the same "language" (package)

So what about a BSD version? Do it once and it will work with all BSD flavours.
Closed Source? No problem for BSD.

Sorry, Linux freaks, butBSD kicks *ass*, including the penguin.

Jenny
FreeBSD/PC-BSD Kernel 6.1 -p11

>> www.pcbsd.org <<
You have a point. Unfortunately BSD has even less market share on desktop systems than Linux. :(

You are correct.

So what if it's a closed source application?
There are many commercial applications on Linux (some of them very expensive) that use their own drivers that are of course also closed-source modules. The kernel becomes "Tainted", and that's all.

The only side effect is that kernel developers won't accept "OOPS" messages from a Tainted kernel into consideration for debugging.

So what if it's a closed source application?
There are many commercial applications on Linux (some of them very expensive) that use their own drivers that are of course also closed-source modules. The kernel becomes "Tainted", and that's all.

The only side effect is that kernel developers won't accept "OOPS" messages from a Tainted kernel into consideration for debugging.

Post #7 also states why there is no version for linux as well Supply and demand has to really be real high as updates for it to do latest movies time that it takes is in the factor too. Another words due to limited people using linux and the time it takes to create such a version is too cost effective to the company. Just my thoughts.

Post #7 also states why there is no version for linux as well Supply and demand has to really be real high as updates for it to do latest movies time that it takes is in the factor too. Another words due to limited people using linux and the time it takes to create such a version is too cost effective to the company. Just my thoughts.

Yes, I agree that "Linux has small market share on desktop systems".
I never wrote a single Windows driver, but wrote a dozen of Linux (both "built-in" and module versions) as well as few solaris/SPARC drivers, ranging from simple character drivers, over drivers for custom network devices up to block drivers (for SmartMedia support). All of them had majority of code that is completely independent of the kernel they are supposed to work on (i.e. generic code). Even more, most of the code was reused for one Real Time OS. :D
I assume complete portions of code dealing with drive authentication/authorization, CSS, removing various copy-protections, etc. are actually generic, and could be used in Linux module without modifications after creating a good module skeleton code.
So it may not be as hard as it seems to maintain both Linux and Windows versions up-to-date.
Of course, just my thoughts. :)

Why AnyDVD in Linux makes business sense

Just my oppinion:

If you guys don't offer a Linux version of <insert-cool-application> then sooner or later someone in the open source community is going to write it. Unlinke you, that someone will release it for free, and it will run on all platforms: linux, bsd, windows, mac.

Just my oppinion:

If you guys don't offer a Linux version of <insert-cool-application> then sooner or later someone in the open source community is going to write it. Unlinke you, that someone will release it for free, and it will run on all platforms: linux, bsd, windows, mac.

Nice idea macracan - any idea if anyone is working on something like this for Linux? Perhaps SlySoft could license their source code to a developer. This would mean that it wouldn't be open-source and therefore not free - but I know of lots of linux users that are willing to pay for good apps.
Just my 2 cents worth.

i know this is a rather old thread so I apologize for raising it from the dead, but I'm an anydvd/clonedvd diehard and my recent switch to linux has left me at a loss for my backup needs.

if anyone objects to this post please have a mod delete it as I'm not sure it's appropriate to ask about other programs, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips on what's out there for linux (ubuntu) as far as decryption and backup software that's as good (or almost as good) as the anydvd and clonedvd combo.

i didn't want to create another linux thread and since I know the issue has already been talked to death.

I'd rather keep vmware as a last resort option...I'm trying to rid myself of windows for good and it seems as though slysoft is the only thing keeping my system dual boot at the moment! (so consider that a compliment!)

Last edited:
i know this is a rather old thread so I apologize for raising it from the dead, but I'm an anydvd/clonedvd diehard and my recent switch to linux has left me at a loss for my backup needs.

if anyone objects to this post please have a mod delete it as I'm not sure it's appropriate to ask about other programs, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips on what's out there for linux (ubuntu) as far as decryption and backup software that's as good (or almost as good) as the anydvd and clonedvd combo.

i didn't want to create another linux thread and since I know the issue has already been talked to death.

I'd rather keep vmware as a last resort option...I'm trying to rid myself of windows for good and it seems as though slysoft is the only thing keeping my system dual boot at the moment! (so consider that a compliment!)

You might install Wine and then try AnyDVD. There is decryption software for Linux and if I am not mistaken RI4M was done for Linux as well as Shrink and DVDD. I would try the Wine route first as there are several apps at are Windows based that work w/ Wine.

You might install Wine and then try AnyDVD. There is decryption software for Linux and if I am not mistaken RI4M was done for Linux as well as Shrink and DVDD. I would try the Wine route first as there are several apps at are Windows based that work w/ Wine.

thanks for the suggestion! I had totally forgotten about rip it 4 me. it's been a while since I've frequented dvd backup forums (and been a while since i've had a need for anything other than anydvd and clonedvd) so I tend to forget some of the other options out there. I'll definitely give the old favorites a try in wine and see how it goes, and if not i'll look into rip it 4 me with shrink/decrypter

-nicole

Well, if you do find it, I don't recommend allowing it to connect to the internet.

I'm not sure what Linux users use to backup movies, sorry.

Do you like otters?

yeah i'm going to check on linux forums as well. i checked the slysoft site first to see if there was any amendment to their previous "never gonna happen" stance then i checked here in hopes anyone had any ideas.

I'm gonna spend the next few days just trying out a lot of things i guess so if anyone else is interested in what i find out feel free to PM me :)

and that thread is so cute :) !!

Back